• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WEEK #549 COINSIDER THIS...

17 posts in this topic

• Administrator

This weeks First and Second place winners will be picked at random…

The question must be answered by Saturday at midnight EST

QUESTION:

Name at least three American coins that depict a plow.

This week’s winner will win John M. Mercanti,Chief Engraver, United States Mint (RET.) “American Silver Eagles, A guide to the U.S. Bullion Coin Program”

There will also be a runner up prize given to a selected player with the correct answer.

REMINDER: The Numisma-Quest ends on Saturday at midnight EST. Entries after that time will not be valid. See the Trivia info post for more details

1: 1786 NJersy Nar Shld, Curv Plow Beam, BN (Regular Strike)

2: Vermont coppers is the name given to copper coins issued by the Vermont Republic.[1] The coins were first struck in 1785 and continued to be minted until Vermont's admission to the United States in 1791 as the State of Vermont.

3: Norfolk Virginia Bicentennial Half Dollar - 1936 --> Obverse Description:

The image is the official seal of the city of Norfolk—a ship plow and stocks of grain—encircled by the inscriptions Borough of Norfolk Bicentennial 1936, City of Norfolk Virginia Town–1682, Borough–1736, City–1845, and Et Terra Et Mare Divitiae Tuae Crescas.

Obverse Designer:

William Marks Simpson

It didn’t take me much time to think of the first two coins on my list. Both the 1925 Lexington-Concord Sesquicentennial Commemorative Half Dollar and the 2000 Massachusetts State Quarter features a Minuteman standing in front of a plow. Try as I could I couldn’t think of another U.S. coin with a plow on it. Then I realized that you asked for the names of three American coins. I assume that this would include the Post-Colonial Pre-Federal issues authorized by the various states prior to the establishment of our federal coinage. After that aha moment I remembered that both New Jersey and Vermont had authorized copper coins which depicted plows on them.

The New Jersey Coppers were minted between 1786 and 1788 and include twenty-two know varieties all of which depict a horse head above a plow on the obverse. The Vermont “Landscape” coppers of 1785 and 1786 have three varieties which depict plows on their obverse.

Starting with the earliest and proceeding to the most recently struck my list of American coins which depict a plow on them is as follows:

1) Vermont “Landscape” copper pieces of 1785-1786 (3 varieties)

2) New Jersey “Horse Head and Plow” copper pieces of 1786-1788 (22 varieties)

3) 1925 Lexington-Concord Sesquicentennial Commemorative Half Dollar

4) 2000 Massachusetts State Quarter (includes 2000-P, 2000-D, 2000-S, and 2000-S [silver])

Whew, another tough one this week. These are the four that I got.

1936 Norfolk Bicentennial Half Dollar Commemorative

1925 Lexington-Concord Sesquicentennial Half Dollar

The 1786 New Jersey Copper

The 1785 and 1786 Vermont Coppers

Thanks for the contest and good luck to everyone else who enters!

-theSharpGun

It didn’t take me much time to think of the first two coins on my list. Both the 1925 Lexington-Concord Sesquicentennial Commemorative Half Dollar and the 2000 Massachusetts State Quarter features a Minuteman standing in front of a plow. Try as I could I couldn’t think of another U.S. coin with a plow on it. Then I realized that you asked for the names of three American coins. I assume that this would include the Post-Colonial Pre-Federal issues authorized by the various states prior to the establishment of our federal coinage. After that aha moment I remembered that both New Jersey and Vermont had authorized copper coins which depicted plows on them.

The New Jersey Coppers were minted between 1786 and 1788 and include twenty-two know varieties all of which depict a horse head above a plow on the obverse. The Vermont “Landscape” coppers of 1785 and 1786 have three varieties which depict plows on their obverse.

Starting with the earliest and proceeding to the most recently struck my list of American coins which depict a plow on them is as follows:

1) Vermont “Landscape” copper pieces of 1785-1786 (3 varieties)

2) New Jersey “Horse Head and Plow” copper pieces of 1786-1788 (22 varieties)

3) 1925 Lexington-Concord Sesquicentennial Commemorative Half Dollar

4) 2000 Massachusetts State Quarter (includes 2000-P, 2000-D, 2000-S, and 2000-S [silver])

1786, 1787, and 1788 New Jersey copper (many varieties)

1785 Vermonts copper

1785 Vermontis copper

1786 Vermontesium copper

1785 Vermont Copper

1786 Vermont Copper

1786 New Jersey Copper straight plow

1786 New Jersey Copper curved plow

I actually thought this one would be easy but that is all I could find.

• Administrator

Here I am… Sorry…

QUESTION:

Name at least three American coins that depict a plow.

Answer: New Jersey coppers, Vermont coppers, Lexington-Concord Half Dollar, Massachusetts Quarter

This week’s winner, TheSharpGun, has won a copy of, John M. Mercanti,Chief Engraver, United States Mint (RET.) “American Silver Eagles, A guide to the U.S. Bullion Coin Program”

Dan8402 has won and NGC Single Coin Display Box…

Thank you for playing and please stop by this Friday for the PMG Numisma-Quest question