• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Week # 124 - The question is...

8 posts in this topic

QUESTION:

In 1955, collectors' sets of Franklin Halves only went through 1954. Why is that?

First post with the correct answer wins a copy of the 2005 Red Book.

Don't forget, we also draw for a runner-up prize from all remaining posts with a correct answer.

Good Luck!

REMINDER: The Numisma-Quest ends/ended on Saturday at midnight EST. Entries after that time will not be valid. See the Trivia Info post for more details.

When you post your answer, only the administrators can see it. Stop back each Monday. We will make all the posts visible and announce the winners.

In 1955, Franklin half dollars were not minted until late in the year. The collector's sets were issued before the 1955 pieces were released!

Hoot

These questions are tuff! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif My guess is:

The limited quantity of Franklins struck in 1955, and since they were only minted in Philadelphia. With less than 3 million minted that year they became a scarce and low population coin.

Well it sounds good, but I know it's not right. Oh well, can't wait to find out the answer and learn something new! thumbsup2.gif

THe only thing that I can guess is that untill 1954 the Franklen Half dollars were put in the back of the WL halves folders. The following year they were sperated. CHRIS

QUESTION:

In 1955, collectors' sets of Franklin Halves only went through 1954. Why is that?

ANSWER:

The halves dated 1955 were not released until 1956.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately Dave Lange has stumped you all this week. Hoot came very close but no cigar. Thanks for playing and try back next week.