• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What say you on this one? -- GRADE POSTED

15 posts in this topic

Just a bit of information about the coin. It commemorates the 400th anniversary of the death of Tintoretto, a well known and prolific Italian Renaissance painter. The obverse is a depiction of Tintoretto in his later years, whereas the reverse is a rendition of his well known painting "Saint George and the Dragon". This painting resides in The National Gallery in London.

From "The National Gallery (London)" description of the painting:

Saint George is shown about to defeat the dragon, by the edge of the sea. The treatment of the subject is unusual: the figure of the fleeing princess is dominant, and in the centre lies a corpse which the dragon was about to eat. The figure of God the Father blessing the saint appears in the sky. The visual narrative reads back from the princess. The blue and rose colours are picked up in the draperies of the corpse and Saint George, and in the pink and blue tints of the cloudscape.

The shoreline leads the eye back into the picture space, while the V-shape formed by the leaning tree-trunk and the princess acts to anchor the composition. The high horizon and viewpoint help create tension and drama in the picture.

The small size of the canvas suggests it was painted for a domestic setting, for devotional use. It was first recorded in 1648 in the Palazzo Correr in Venice, although we do not know whether it was made for the Correr family. The 'Golden Legend' relates that Saint George was a knight from Cappadocia (in modern Turkey), who rescued a maiden from a dragon at Silene, in Libya, a deed of Christian courage, which caused many to be converted. Later he was martyred as a result of the persecutions of the Emperor Diocletian.

133976.jpg.d4e6ad4e54abd8b4381eb3d44e6d6a02.jpg

Well, I have to concur with the guesses in this thread. My pictures are not hiding anything, and the coin is just as nice in hand as the images portray it. There are essentially no distracting flaws or hits, and the luster is booming. There is (as seen in the images) a line of toning across the obverse of the coin, but it is not distracting in my opinion.

This coin was minted in a quantity of 45,000 pieces and is listed in Krause at a value of $140 in MS60. However, that value is likely high (I paid $60 for my example). NGC has graded only two of this particular coin, this one in "MS65" and one other in MS67. I would personally grade my coin at a conservative MS67. If my coin is truly an MS65, I can't imagine what the graded MS67 coin must look like!!! (shrug)

Thanks for all the guesses!

-Brandon

134003.jpg.0157bb8d154e01f1d879e6436140b0b8.jpg

Might I ask where you picked up this gem? Do you collect World Coins or was this one you saw and had to have it? Were you aware of the history of the coin before purchasing it? I really love the artistry of the reverse!

Might I ask where you picked up this gem? Do you collect World Coins or was this one you saw and had to have it? Were you aware of the history of the coin before purchasing it? I really love the artistry of the reverse!

Hi there. I do collect World Coins -- I have around 300 graded and many raw. I picked this coin up on eBay from one of my favorite sellers (I have purchased 15 coins from him over the past 1.5 years). The coin was on my want list of coins because of the imagery on the reverse -- namely, I collect coins with horses on them. I never thought I'd find this coin graded, but it appeared shortly after the new year. :) When the coin was listed on eBay I did more research into the artistry on the reverse, and reassured myself that it was a coin I wanted to add to my collection. :)

Hi there. I do collect World Coins -- I have around 300 graded and many raw. I picked this coin up on eBay from one of my favorite sellers (I have purchased 15 coins from him over the past 1.5 years). The coin was on my want list of coins because of the imagery on the reverse -- namely, I collect coins with horses on them. I never thought I'd find this coin graded, but it appeared shortly after the new year. :) When the coin was listed on eBay I did more research into the artistry on the reverse, and reassured myself that it was a coin I wanted to add to my collection. :)

i take it that you have lots of "Caballito's"

i take it that you have lots of "Caballito's"

Hi Jobessi. I am well aware of the Caballitos, but I have not yet found one that I like. The AU58s tend to come mushy, and the MS62/63 ones are usually beat up. To get a nice MS65 you have to drop a $600-$1K, so I'm being patient and finding one that I can't live without. :)