• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Alternative II

26 posts in this topic

Great idea (alternatives are always great) but the costs to become a dealer are way too high for me. Maybe if you were a power seller and sold a bunch of coins every week or sold a number of high dollar coins, but not for the average seller. Just a thought..........

Forgot to mention that the site is very appealing. Great layout !!! Well done !!!!!

Mike

This is true, Mike... it's a two edged sword. I want to raise the bar a bit higher than ebay, where anyone will put on all kinds of items. The costs, however, are lower than small 3-day shows, and they get lower with longer times (3 months = $70/month, 6 months = 62.50, and 12 months = 55.00)... and there are no listing fees, enhancment fees or seller's premium... Dealers can list as many items as they want for as long as they want. Their items are available 24/7, as well.

For even the smallest dealers that sell on ebay, the savings are real. Also, prices should trend down for buyers, as sellers don't have to take into account all the fees taken from everything they sell...

Scott,

Looks good and may work well if the word gets out about the site ( Numishow.com ). Would take some advertisement and more coins to draw people back. You are welcome to use the coins on my page (Six Mile Rick) if need more substance for your site to get it started.

Rick

Hi... I registered at Numishow. Com

All went well but, when going to " wish list" I rec'd notice my account was blocked. I am certain I did something incorrectly. :makepoint:

Your site looks great. I look forward to seeing more coins being offered for sell.

Semper Fi !

Jack

Very nice looking site. I did not see where it said anything about shipping costs. Do you think that should be where the coin prices are so the buyer can easily calculate their final out the door price?

Scott,

Looks good and may work well if the word gets out about the site ( Numishow.com ). Would take some advertisement and more coins to draw people back. You are welcome to use the coins on my page (Six Mile Rick) if need more substance for your site to get it started.

Rick

Would love to have you list your stuff, Rick! Consider becoming a dealer...

Hi... I registered at Numishow. Com

All went well but, when going to " wish list" I rec'd notice my account was blocked. I am certain I did something incorrectly. :makepoint:

Your site looks great. I look forward to seeing more coins being offered for sell.

Semper Fi !

Jack

Hi Jack.. did you get the email asking to confirm your account? That may be what happened...

Very nice looking site. I did not see where it said anything about shipping costs. Do you think that should be where the coin prices are so the buyer can easily calculate their final out the door price?

Agreed... will check into that. Thanks!

It is a nice idea, but unless you plan to advertise this site like crazy it will fail like many other companies have before. You will also have to put in some sort of limits on pricing. Part of the reason there is such a problem with ebay is people put $1000 asking prices on $500 coins. Others sellers carry improperly graded/doctored junk.

Sure ebay is very expensive to sell but you get the traffic you pay for....but if you want buyers you have to give them a reason to bite.

Advertising is coming... print and online.

Now, lets address limits on pricing. When you can list for free, you are going to get those who fill do that, hoping for a sucker to bite. Ebay is full of both types. I wanted to have that up-front cost, to weed out a lot of the less ethical, quick buck types.

On Ebay, if you send tell them a note is tampered with, they ignore it. If you send the same to me, I'll do something about it. That's the difference. Also, Ebay has a lot of traffic, but how much of it is specifically numismatic? Being more specific in theme, Numishow's traffic will ALL be numismatic.

Traffic is already building, people are registering and I even have my first advertiser... and the site is only 3 days old... things are moving in the right direction.

Thanks for your reply and I appreciate your thoughts :)

I agree, the price is a bit high for the average seller. I sell a fair amount of ebay and my fees come in lower than a 12 month membership

I have dropped the cost for 1 and 3 months to $1 as a trial price... I might rethink pricing structure to accommodate smaller dealers... I based my numbers on my own experience... I sold about 20 items a month, and my fees ran between $150 to $200 per month.

I hope you will register on the site, and visit :)

I agree, the price is a bit high for the average seller. I sell a fair amount of ebay and my fees come in lower than a 12 month membership

I have dropped the cost for 1 and 3 months to $1 as a trial price... I might rethink pricing structure to accommodate smaller dealers... I based my numbers on my own experience... I sold about 20 items a month, and my fees ran between $150 to $200 per month.

I hope you will register on the site, and visit :)

I haven't registered yet, I will. I did give the site a quick run through and I believe working out the kinks and find the right price structure, you have a winner on your hands. The design is awesome, the layout is easy to use, and with some time you could put a serious mark on the industry. I wish you the best, its a solid idea.

Oh I was going to say, advertise on craigslist. I've seen people do it so please post about your site on CL but don't do it too much.

Visit all the other coin forums and advertise it and same with coin shows!

Heck, make shirts and hand them out to NGC board members like myself, etc and I will wear it to a show and I'm in Hawaii so thats really spreading the word far out there

Also please add features like make an offer. Well you can't use that exact wording cuz ebay could say you stole it from them but perhaps a button called "Negotiate" were someone could put an offer if they don't agree with the price/

I will be attending the Cowtown Coin Show in Ft Worth tomorrrow (Saturday) to spread the word! There are now dealers on the site (myself and 2 others).. I really would like to encourage everyone who does sell coins, currency or supplies to sign up.

I have adjusted the pricing drastically... right now, the cost is $1 to become a dealer for 1 or 3 months, will normally be 1 Month = $25 per month, 3 Months = $24 per month, 6 Months = $22 per month, and 12 Months = $20 per month. I think these prices are really fair, and will allow the 'Casual Dealer' to use the site!

I plan to have SWAG like shirts and stuff.... I can actually get shirts made pretty quickly, and would certainly send them to NGC board members to wear! Just tell me size and where to send them ;)

Thanks!

Also please add features like make an offer. Well you can't use that exact wording cuz ebay could say you stole it from them but perhaps a button called "Negotiate" were someone could put an offer if they don't agree with the price/

I call it 'Haggle', but a 'Make Offer' button will be next to the Buy button... it is the next feature to be implemented.

SP Hansen, can you clarify something.....so lets say I pay 240 for 12 months. I can list as many items as I want and if any sell, I have no fees to pay?

The buyer has to just pay $1 for each invoice right? So if 10 buyers buy stuff from me, they each are charged $1 correct?

Thanks!

I really think the site is great. No sales yet, but then again I haven't listed much more than supplies so I'm not surprised.

The shirt idea is a good one. You should make "Dealer" shirts as well. Hell if it's a polo type shirt with an embroided logo I could even lose the shirt and tie one day a week and wear it at work. (My optical shop is right next to the biggest coin shop in the area!!!)

Whew! Been a busy couple of weeks!

Due to popular demand, I have now added PayPal one of the methods to pay for purchases.

The 'haggle' feature is now being created... should be online first week in March!

Print ads will be hitting the magazines starting in March. Look for them in Coins, Numismatic News, Bank Note Reporter and World Coin News!

mkman123: Yes, that is correct. The only 'fee' you will encounter is the 2% credit card transaction fee charged by the bank. Yes, the $1 is charged per invoice.

AstroTrain: Great idea! What's your size?