• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Last Straw

22 posts in this topic

!!!

First I'd like to say gratz to those who got awards... But none of those sets which got 'Best Presented' was presented anywhere near the quality, or had the effort that I put into my Presidents set.

It shows me that NGC doesn't really give a damn, nor makes decisions based on the parameters they set forth.

Tell me this set is better than mine?

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/awards/WinningSetDetail.aspx?AwardSetID=29979

Or that any of the awarded sets beats this one?

http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=128310

Sorry, but I'm not buying it...

See more journals by SPHansen

In my opinion, the quality of NGC has been dropping... putting aside the (once again) travesty of the Registry Awards, here is an example:

At the beginning of 2012, I put in a request for Bulgarian coin sets. After nine months of waiting, I was excited to see them added, only to be horrified at the poor quality of the set listing. I would have been embarrassed to post something like that. Couple that with the poor decisions being made, and you get what I consider an epic fail.

How can I trust the grading of a company that can't even get the simplest things right?

First off all I can say about your responses is WOW, REALLY !!!

I just checked out your set that you wanted everyone to look at (Scott's Hail to the PF70 Chiefs) and although it is nice, you are not talking about the coins but giving a history lesson about each year !!! Nothing wrong in that, if that is what you want to convey, (I did the same thing with my Morgan set) but your verbage (description) is not about the coins but again the history of the year and that is where you might have taken a hit. IMHO

also please tell me mvcoins and you aren't the same person ??????? I think it is possible !!!

As to why this person wins or that person doesn't, beats me, I'm not the judge. Just like grading coins, we all would like to think we know this coin is going to be the ONE and it comes back details or whatever !?!?!

secondly, I won't attack you as you did me. I think just about everybody on the board here can form their own opinion about your posts so I will leave you with good luck in the future. May the award judges smile on you next year.

I don't know if value and rarity have anything to do with the selection of which set gets a best presented. I bet moondoggy's was a combination of being complete, having nice pictures and descriptions and also maybe the fact he submitted each one himself. I am surprised and happy that the winning set does not have to have all top pops or be worth any large amount of money.

I am happy for everyone who won. Isn't free speech wonderful :banana:

also please tell me mvcoins and you aren't the same person ??????? I think it is possible !!!

I'm not... also, I didn't attack you, Mike... can you honestly say that all those 'winning' sets are better presented than mine? That the time and effort went into them that is deserving of an award?

But your sets did get awards and my westward bound nickel set is, according to your theory, better presented than yours. So should I be up in arms? The registry is for fun. Take a deep breath, calm down and enjoy your coins.

Yes... but it your WWB set better presented than the 'winners'.. that's the issue. This is a competition, and NGC has screwed those who DESERVE to win through hard work and effort... not just me. NGC takes a big dump in a bowl and tells it's gourmet food...

In fact, I'm just going to wash my hands of this whole thing... NGC has proven to me they don't give a damn about me or the collector, their standards have fallen, and I'm just tired of the nonsense...

Enjoy your 'awards'

For ME!!! --- Ive been here going on 8 years now and never won a category. Now if they had a category for most sets for sale or trade I might just have a chance. HeHe :)

I saw a few of the regular journalists and friends that did win. JAA --- Congrats on not only 1 but 2 winnings.To my other friends gherrmann44, moondoggy, and yankeejose ----CONGRATS!!!!

Congrats to all that won and "wait until next year" for those that came away with just their coins and no cute little NGC Registry Award Banner.

For me it's a double edged sword. I love to see my peers receive an award and hate to hear when somebody is unhappy, but what I REALLY dislike is having to scrape and save my butt off just to possibly put myself in the position to improve my set of GSA Morgan beauties which will NEVER receive an award (or probably be completed for that matter) and then see somebody's banner for a top set that is made up of three Lincoln cents from 2010 or newer.

Seriously, some sets do not even deserve recognition because they are so easily obtainable and some sets like the Morgan GSA set should probably recognize the top 50 or so sets because of the rarity of the issue.

Off my soapbox for now. Have a great weekend and Happy Collecting!

Man I cannot believe some of what I would describe as childish behavior. Congrats to those who won. I use the registry to help me with accountability of some of my collection. Sure, they are not high dollar as some to even edge me in to the door of awards, but I collect coins, not banners. Those of you complaining should be proud of the accomplishment you've made and not worry about an award to boast to others of your achievement. This little "my coins are better than your coins" attitude is very childish!!!!! To downgrade a top tpg because you didnt get a little banner??? Purely immature!!!

Man I cannot believe some of what I would describe as childish behavior. Congrats to those who won. I use the registry to help me with accountability of some of my collection. Sure, they are not high dollar as some to even edge me in to the door of awards, but I collect coins, not banners. Those of you complaining should be proud of the accomplishment you've made and not worry about an award to boast to others of your achievement. This little "my coins are better than your coins" attitude is very childish!!!!! To downgrade a top tpg because you didnt get a little banner??? Purely immature!!!

+1

I'm not sure what all the "huff-and-puff" is about, but this isn't a school playground. You can't meet by the swing-set after school to settle this. So don't get yourself all worked up over it. Lots of people spend a lot of time on their sets, and I'm guessing a temper-tantrum with a dash of bad-mouthing to NGC isn't going to improve your chances of future awards.

Best of luck next year.

I quit the competition aspect of the registry several years ago. I simply enjoy building the best sets I can. To be 100% candid, if the set I assemble ends up as a #1 listed set or is recognized for an award then I get some enjoyment out of it--but not even slightly as much enjoyment as I get from collecting/assembling the set.

I intentionally post very infrequently for journals for example. I won that award in just the second year it was awarded and was quite excited. However the following 3 to 4 years there were people who essentially took over the journals by posting one to two times a day with comments like, "coins give me a reason to live" or " coin collecting has changed my life and encouraged me to go back to college".--when the author of this shameless pleading for an award or recognition received back to back journaling awards--and only had 10 or 11 total coins in his sets--well it took away some of the honor I had felt at winning the prior award and also helped me to determine that I no longer wanted to author enough journals to be considered for an award--I only journal once in a while, to keep a soft record for my own sake and to keep contact with friends on this site who have been collecting brethren for years.

SP Hansen, I have also hastily recorded my anger and indignation at the keyboard before letting some of the initial hurt and anger subside-and regretted the way I said something.

Mike, congratulations and enjoy your award for a superb Franklin proof set--well deserved--please forgive SP, if the shoes were on different feet? One must admit that his is an excellent presentation. I am at a loss to understand how a set with only half the coins imaged, blurry images and a 1 word description in the presentation area received an honor as "best presented"?? So SP Hansen has an honest reason for his frustration ( although I am not condoning his hasty and ill-thought response of singling out others and possibly stealing their joy.)

To sum it up...if you want to compete for awards or recognition--try try again. However----please let's keep the eye on the ball, the true prize is the wonderful joy in collecting, the creation of an heirloom or nest-egg for family and also, the fellowship and friendship of like-minded people who find joy in numismatics. The registry is first and foremost a place where we who share a common bond can enjoy it together--let's not let a secondary aspect of this site--awards---get in the way of the camaraderie we share.....Group Hug Time......

Scott You sets are displayed very nicely, and your pride of ownership shows through and you can tell you enjoy your hobby.

What we have to remember is this whole coin collecting hobby comprises of someones opinion, everything is subjective. Just like in grading I'm sure you have some coins in your sets that you don't completely agree on the grade given.

While you feel that this sight is for a compitition just remember in all compititions where there are judges who control the outcome there are a wide variaty of opinions. It is hard to put your finger on someones opinion.I guess the only way to actually know who a true winner is ,is to have a race or a spoting activity where the outcome is final and without question or you at least can use intant replay. Maybe Ngc should let the members vote on best sets, but then it might be a popularity contest.

I guess we all want recognized for our for our efforts and collections, or we would not be listing our coins in competitve sets, but when I purchase and list most of my coins I feel pride and self satisfaction as Im sure you do

I too was a little disappointed when my Wilhelmina set made of up of the best coins available to me didn't win an award for best world. After all I poured my heart into this set to make it the best I could, complete with photos, upgrade history, and great coin descriptions. When I looked at the winning sets to see what I could possibly do to take my set to the next level, I found four of the five sets without full descriptions and pictures! What was common about these sets though was that they were all made up of magnificently rare and valuable coins assembled into great sets that I enjoyed perusing.

I then realized that the judges couldn't pass up those sets. Lets face it a lot of awards go to people with deep pockets, but I go back to my saying that magnificent coins belong in great sets and that makes me glad there are people who have the means to bring rare coins together into sets.

There was nothing then that I could have done to make my set a winning set this year since NGC recently started the world competitive set award a few years back. In other words, they have to work their way through a lot of great sets before they get to mine.

Scott, in my opinion your set is worthy of an award and I can see your point. Mike, your set is testament to the fact that great sets don't have to be the top "registry" sets. This was evidenced to me when my 20th Century Type set won the best presented award in 2009 while being the 15th ranked set.

Therefore, there is nothing that I will do to change my set in preparation for next year with the exception of a timely update. Furthermore, I will put up my set in light of the 1,981 views it has, that it IS a great set made up of magnificent coins.

Gary

Howdy:

I used to play golf. Never really enjoyed it even when I played well because I am a bit too competitive. Don't play anymore.

I find that "Custom Sets" is a great way to display my coins and tokens without getting sucked into the whole competition thing. I started collecting coins for fun; it's still fun - without the competition. NGC "Custom Sets" allows the collector to display his or her collection as he or she wants. No rules (for the most part) and lots of flexibility. So, it's fun.

Competition is great for those who need it or want it, but it's nice to have an alternative for those who don't.

Enjoy your coins like you did when you found your very first treasure. Later. CGTG

It is nice to see so many other members that think of the registry as fun and a way to keep track of your coins. To me the coins are the be all and end all. I love my collection and I don't care if it is better than anyone else's. It is for me to build and enjoy.

+1

I'm not sure what all the "huff-and-puff" is about, but this isn't a school playground. You can't meet by the swing-set after school to settle this. So don't get yourself all worked up over it. Lots of people spend a lot of time on their sets, and I'm guessing a temper-tantrum with a dash of bad-mouthing to NGC isn't going to improve your chances of future awards.

Best of luck next year.

I agree with Bobby & Brandon. I also agree that descriptions should be more about the coins themselves and not history, although it is good to incorporate that to some degree. There's no need to attack NGC. They provide a great service for us all.