• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CAC coins

4 posts in this topic

What is the chance of NGC recognizing coins with A CAC designation like they do stars and pluses. It seems to me that all solid for the grade coins should increse points regardless of who the TPG is.

thanks wheat

The amount of work required by NGC to check/validate every certification number would be quite large.

PCGS and NGC both already have a "+" grading system which is used to denote an "in between" grade coin. This "+" is not equivalent to having a CAC bean on a non-plus coin.

Furthermore, a CAC bean is certainly not equal to an NGC star (which notes eye appeal, and says nothing about PQ for the assigned grade)...

Thus, they would have to create yet another level of scoring for a coin in grade XX with CAC vs. without CAC. This means that they would have to create a matrix scoring system for every combination of "+", "star", and "CAC". This amounts to a 8 different possible scores for EVERY grade level of a coin! Sounds like a nightmare to me.

For example, an MS64 coin would have separate points for:

MS64

MS64+

MS64★

MS64+★

MS64 CAC

MS64+ CAC

MS64★ CAC

MS64+★ CAC

Don't hold your breath, and if I were NGC I would not even entertain this idea. It is far too complicated and would open the flood gates to more complications (e.g., should Indian Head Cents and FE Cents with Rick Snow's Eagle Eye sticker be given more points?).

:makepoint: