• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oakland County, MI Coin Dealer and Coin Club

10 posts in this topic

I'm reaching out for help on these boards. I'm new to collecting coins. Long story short, I've purchased coins for 5-7 years through sources outside the normal channels, and really became interested when I got my first Morgan and a proof like half dollar. I've since stopped buying in that fashion and have been educating myself on the art of coin collecting. It's fascinating. Of course, I've made a few purchases along the way, but nothing that would cause a financial calamity for me.

In July of this year, I moved from Georgia to the Detroit metropolitan area(If you can call Detroit, metropolitan, but that's not the point). I'm interested in finding a good coin dealer in my area. I've checked out the NGC site for dealers and found some near me in Birmingham and Franklin. Can anyone advise me on a local dealer that I might get in touch with to continue my Numismatic education? I'd also be interested in a local coin club as well.

Thanks for your help.

Joe

I would suggest you contact the Michigan State Numismatic Society and direct your inquiry with them. Detroit has gone through great economic troubles and it may be difficult to find local clubs still in existence and even operating dealers.

I would suggest you contact the Michigan State Numismatic Society and direct your inquiry with them. Detroit has gone through great economic troubles and it may be difficult to find local clubs still in existence and even operating dealers.

That sounds like a good idea. Here is a link to their website.

First let me say welcome to Michigan.

Do visit the MSNS site, michigancoinclub.org, or use the link provided above. You can find information on local clubs, there are many, in the greater Detroit area. Earlier today I downloaded the MSNS coin show listing for 2012, use the Local Coin Show tab at the MSNS site. There will be six in January alone.

As far as dealers, there are quite a few top notch dealers. Visiting with them at shows will save you a lot of running around. Joining a local club as well as MSNS will open a lot of doors.

Feel free to PM me with questions.

Thanks Pennyguy. I was told by Chris that you would be a good resource for me. I'll check out the site and will plan on attending something in January.

BTW, got to shovel snow 2x this week for the first time in 7 years! I do like snow, but will likely invest in a snow blower. It will likely cost me a MS65 Morgan though!

This one is very near you.

Birmingham Bloomfield Coin Club Show

February 3 2013 10AM to 4PM

Free Parking, Free Admission

@ Masonic Temple

37357 Woodward Ave, West side of Woodward N of Quarton.

MJ

This one is very near you.

Birmingham Bloomfield Coin Club Show

February 3 2013 10AM to 4PM

Free Parking, Free Admission

@ Masonic Temple

37357 Woodward Ave, West side of Woodward N of Quarton.

MJ

Thanks MJ. I'll check it out. It's about 15 minutes from my abode.

There is also a monthly show on 9 mile and Telegraph. Bullion heavy show but you can meet some of the area players. MJ