• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Biggest eBay Score To Date

23 posts in this topic

I've done reasonably well buying raw on eBay and making some coins.

This next coin, which I just had imaged by Mark Goodman, takes the cake, so far.

I bought it raw on eBay, for $85, and it now resides in a NGC MS-64+ holder, with an approximate value of around $500.

Link to original ebay listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/150861177526

Now that matters, because she will be in my collection for the foreseeable future.

1934sdobv.jpg

1934sdrev.jpg

Another example of a seller who was too uninformed or lazy to send the coin in to the grading service before sale. Just an early bird plus invoice fee and associated shipping and he would have done a lot better.

Another example of a seller who was too uninformed or lazy to send the coin in to the grading service before sale. Just an early bird plus invoice fee and associated shipping and he would have done a lot better.

The seller probably had the same thought as all the bidders. With all of the fingerprints on the coin, it is reasonable to believe that it would probably grade AU58. I think characterizing the seller as uninformed or lazy is a little severe.

Nice pick Jersey. What did you see that convinced from those images that the coin was mint state? And what mint state grade did you predict before you submitted the coin?

I just LOVE that look! The 1934 usually comes pretty nice, but most are white, and a nicely toned example like that is a great pickup. Congratulations!
And by "THAT LOOK" I'm sure he means the "in the slab look"!! You know, he's converting his collection over to slabs... he now has 400!!! lol

On another note... super coin, I like the look as well. Even with those 80 year old fingerprints!

Nice pick Jersey. What did you see that convinced from those images that the coin was mint state? And what mint state grade did you predict before you submitted the coin?

Good questions.

To answer your first question, I wish I had a savvy technical explanation, but I don't. What I will say is that while the sellers pictures were relatively poor, it isn't difficult to see copious amounts of luster in the fields, and I saw no clear signs of wear on the devices, plus, add in tinges of green and auburn, and i felt like it had the chance of being a nice UNC toner.

As for what I thought it would grade, once I had it in hand, I was expecting a 63, but hopeful for a 64, and was fairly excited to get a 64+.

Nice pickup. The early days of Ebay were interesting, when either fuzzy or no pics were posted and people didn't really know what they had. Once in a while you can still find deals. I was able to get a 1950 PCGS PF-65 CAM Franklin for $500 buy it now earlier this year. Right place at the right time.

Thanks for posting your pick-up.

I like the look of the coin, but also understand how the prints could scare away a boatload of potential bids. However, I think the seller's use of "rainbow" in the title may have scared more people away since the listing would then read as tremendous hype from someone you may not want to trust.

As for what I thought it would grade, once I had it in hand, I was expecting a 63, but hopeful for a 64, and was fairly excited to get a 64+.

Very nice, skillful job of "gradifying" the coin, then, especially considering that your starting point was from eBay :) . I suppose the oblong marks toward the back of the neck kept it out of a 65 holder, but your images portray the swirling satin luster very nicely!

There are plenty of deals lurking around on Ebay. I think I got a deal on 4 VG Barber quarters at melt, something I never get on Ebay since they usually go for a premium. A couple are better dates like 1899 O, well nothing too uncommon.