• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newp: an Anglo-Saxon penny (Danish East Anglia)

8 posts in this topic

I don't have it yet. I just got the dealer's email about newps, and I reached out to him immediately. I am very excited, knowing the dealer and seeing the image.

From his web site:

Viking Kingdoms, Danish East Anglia, St. Eadmund Memorial Coinage (c.885 - c.915), Silver Penny, 1.17g., 19mm, moneyer Wineger, +SC EADMVNDE around a large A, trefoil of pellets above, rev., small cross within a circle, +VVINECR MONT, (N.483; S.960), richly toned, practically as struck.

This coinage was struck by the Danish settlers of East Anglia in memory of the canonized martyr Eadmund, the last English King of East Anglia, who was brutally murdered in A.D. 869 by the invading Viking army. In its own way this coinage reflects the rapid adoption of 'civilized' Anglo-Saxon habits, like Christianity and coinage, by the invaders following their arrival in England.

Eadmund was the last king of the independent Anglo-Saxon Kingdom of East Anglia. The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle records that in A.D. 870: “[the Vikings] went across Mercia into East Anglia, and took winter-quarters at Thetford; and in that year St. Edmund the king fought against them, and the Danish took the victory, and killed the king and conquered all that land…” The Chronicle goes on to name the Viking leaders who slew the king as Ivar and Ubba. A later medieval source records that he was tied to a tree and filled with arrows. This act took place at a town called Beadoriceswyrthe, where he is believed to be buried and where a cult grew up around the canonized king and which is still today known as Bury St. Edmunds.

1024.jpg

Yes, York Coins. I don't know Antony well. I've only met him once, because we usually transact via email. I find his coins to be accurately described, and (mostly) fairly priced.

EVP

Beautiful coin!

Why would the Danish settlers of East Anglia, who defeated and killed Eadmund, strike a scænt to the memory of their enemy, the last Saxon King of East Anglia?

Beautiful coin!

Why would the Danish settlers of East Anglia, who defeated and killed Eadmund, strike a scænt to the memory of their enemy, the last Saxon King of East Anglia?

Probably as a means of Christian penance, and maybe even to gain more acceptance with the subjugated populace.

Unless a conqueror plans to exterminate the vanquished, then it's best not to let them rally around their martyr.

EVP