• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess The Grade - 1924-P Peace Dollar

33 posts in this topic

Thanks Mark. Its in an NGC fatty holder as a 65, and agree that it has a 66 look to it.

Crack it or ReGrade?

I'd leave it as is. You can always crack it out or re-grade it later. But once you try either, you lose the benefits of the old holder.

FA-2 Possible may get a star added/ high points worn bad plus have striping of? Copper gouging edges ?? It cannot hit a MS or AU as looks as been circulated through a river.

Just beeing real kind "as went 3 Yrs grading and I really think if sent in would be a waste, It is a Coin to go into a "near Cull Grab bag for buy by Face/ per pound...

As dealer I could do no other/ not even re-sell but for weight plus 18 cents if lucky as would take in 2-3 $ under spot and maybe if sell, to 1 that would really have to have a US Coin pre 64.. But would go into my Bulk bags.

let me know if have any others to grade..

Crack it or ReGrade?

Neither - I would send it to CAC. A CAC gold sticker would likely be worth significantly more than a 66. It is just a thought, assuming that maximizing your profit potential is your goal. If money is not your goal (and you like the piece and want to keep it in your collection), I wouldn't bother with CAC and would keep it as is.

F-30

What are you relying on to grade the coin as a "F-30"? Are you using the ANA grading scale (a modified version of the Sheldon scale)? I see no wear on the coin. Moreover a "30" would correspond to "very fine" or "VF" and not "F" or "Fine."

You got it "kenny" I also "like I have been here when you were in Diapers, Yes after 21 Yrs of this/ I am where I stand/ as IF had 1 would be in my Junk bag, Infact I have better in my Junk Bags "unless was really getting deal on 'Cull" and even in a 1000$ Face I found a few as good...

I must ask per kindness on board did you GRADE HIGHER then I?? People want truth, I HOPE.....

I just know when get a coin off the press in a Roll it is supposed to be a 65 right from Mint/ so as not from a Roll fresh...?? Has all wear plus the copper creeping.../ It is what happens when I would put coins in My Fish tank "as sunken treasure and 3 months later would have the copper coming through but not worn... The 8 Reals from ElCazador sat for 100's of Yrs and many could grade as such, but as on ocean floor well MS cannot be given AU or if a U as yes were uncirculated, but Ms66 guess( or calling it a Gem? ) Must not be many getting out much/ that is saying better then a fresh mint roll?? I would freak out if had a roll from bank like that....

well that is what site is for right?? Help / I say want a MS 66 I would gladly sell a Roll from that YR/ then could Try for a MS66... what do you think of my grade Kenny as seem we are close to reality...

You got it "kenny" I also "like I have been here when you were in Diapers, Yes after 21 Yrs of this/ I am where I stand/ as IF had 1 would be in my Junk bag, Infact I have better in my Junk Bags "unless was really getting deal on 'Cull" and even in a 1000$ Face I found a few as good...

I must ask per kindness on board did you GRADE HIGHER then I?? People want truth, I HOPE.....

I just know when get a coin off the press in a Roll it is supposed to be a 65 right from Mint/ so as not from a Roll fresh...?? Has all wear plus the copper creeping.../ It is what happens when I would put coins in My Fish tank "as sunken treasure and 3 months later would have the copper coming through but not worn... The 8 Reals from ElCazador sat for 100's of Yrs and many could grade as such, but as on ocean floor well MS cannot be given AU or if a U as yes were uncirculated, but Ms66 guess( or calling it a Gem? ) Must not be many getting out much/ that is saying better then a fresh mint roll?? I would freak out if had a roll from bank like that....

well that is what site is for right?? Help / I say want a MS 66 I would gladly sell a Roll from that YR/ then could Try for a MS66... what do you think of my grade Kenny as seem we are close to reality...

I am not sure how many of your comments are responsive to my post. My post was a genuine question, because 1) the coin has no wear as your grade would suggest (assuming that you are using the ANA scale) and 2)a grade of "F-30" does not exist on the Sheldon scale (it would be a "VF-30").

With regards to your other comments, you are confusing toning (oxidation on the coin's surface) with wear and this is not correct. Uncirculated coins, even Peace Dollars, can tone without entering the channels of commerce/circulating. The coin in the original post has no wear, but has some toning at the rims. Toning, unless unusually ugly (creating negative eye appeal) or unless it mutes the luster, does not lower a coin's grade (and the toning on this coin is neutral - in fact, I actually like its originality). The coin also has very few contact marks and a good strike, all of which suggest that this coin deserves a high uncirculated grade. The coin is consistent with a grade of MS66 based on my experiences - I have handled several and own a few certified examples in this grade.

Finally, and I mean this respectfully, it would be helpful if you would spell out words and use punctuation. This would make your post much easier on the eyes. Finally the part about "I was posting when you were in diapers" is a label that NGC automatically applies on the basis of my post count. I didn't ask for it, and it is in no way relevant to me. I am actually in my 20s although I have been involved in numismatics for more than 15 years (and have dealt with higher end certified coins for the last 7-10 years).

OH I see I USE PCGS only and Really got a 65? If truth wow I must have Bags of 66- 70's then as how could it get a MS or even AU / ? Really then you gotta get a Bag from Euro-pac a Bag of AU-F "junk Silver" Of just Peace/ Morgan dollars and would flood market of Grades that high Serious..

I send 1 to PCGS and has a tiny scratch and can be a 1880 and No wear or copper showing and cannot get a #... Or very lucky if do... This is why I only will buy a PCGS grade as strict, If cleaned ever even with "olive oil Now, is detected and get a "Improper cleaned MS 61/62 and if would have not touched it paid for them to remove a tiny piece of Debris "as maybe had a smudge or some-one prior hit it with black marker as "many like to write on flip and not use right marker and hits coin/ done over..... NO soup for you.... heck had a 1st Yr Morgans that he opened Roll but kept in (a Forever Pouch No plastic's but meant to store forever but coins rattled and just "not to eye but loupe could see fine tiny Rubbs/ scratches and got a MS66 and best 67...

now that is silver/ with copper but all yrs double eagles got 70/68's as had each in/ a non touch place plus all 1/2 1/4 2.50 an4/3/1's......

then as Guilders and 1/4 ducats and french roosters/ Angels 20/100 and Sov's and rands 1/2 etc Canada 5 10 20 Kurush 100 250 500 and well Global Mexico all to 50 Gold did better....So try PCGS and get a reality check...

I did ANAC with a 67 and got 70 same with NGC/ as when with Hedge Fund we found Old Grades and even PCGS if was before 1999 / Send in same Holder and have Re-grade and 7/10 dropped Grades per technology..

So must hold tight on my PICTURE ONLY seen.....

AUHedge, I have attempted to read a couple of your posts now, and find them to be unintelligible gibberish. Please use English, write out your thoughts clearly, and try to communicate effectively.

As for the coin, I'd grade it 65+. There are a couple of marks that would hold it back from a 66, in my opinion.

Thanks Mark. Its in an NGC fatty holder as a 65, and agree that it has a 66 look to it.

Crack it or ReGrade?

I'd leave it as is. You can always crack it out or re-grade it later. But once you try either, you lose the benefits of the old holder.

i wonder if it would be worth sending in for a beanie? just a thought on the topic

AUHedge, I have attempted to read a couple of your posts now, and find them to be unintelligible gibberish. Please use English, write out your thoughts clearly, and try to communicate effectively.

I'm glad that I am not the only one that feels this way.

As for the coin, I'd grade it 65+. There are a couple of marks that would hold it back from a 66, in my opinion.

Are you referring to the contact marks on the eagle on the reverse?

I'd be happy with this one in a 65 holder.

Obverse: The hits above the lip, on the tiara and neck and the rim chatter at 4 o'clock.

Reverse: Several scattered hits on eagle.

These things combined keep this one from making a 66...IMHO. The white spot, on the reverse, may not effect grade but....... it doesn't add anything attractive either.

From a collectors stand point I would not be thrilled to pay 66 money and have this one show up at the door. I know my words don't carry as much weight as some that have commented but..... I think at 65, it's graded properly.

Obverse: The hits above the lip, on the tiara and neck and the rim chatter at 4 o'clock.

These things combined keep this one from making a 66...IMHO. The white spot, on the reverse, may not effect grade but....... it doesn't add anything attractive either.

From a collectors stand point I would not be thrilled to pay 66 money and have this one show up at the door. I know my words don't carry as much weight as some that have commented but..... I think at 65, it's graded properly.

The only distracting hit on the obverse is the one above the lip.

The reverse has a few small hits on the eagle.

Combine that with blazing luster, and it is a textbook 66.

I think it is a lock 66, but even at a 65 it was a great bargain at $90 + $8 buyers fee + $6 s/h.

Are you referring to the contact marks on the eagle on the reverse?

Yes, I was. Given that they are in a prime focal area, they are going to detract from the grade. If it truly has blazing luster, that may make up for it.

I think it is a lock 66, but even at a 65 it was a great bargain at $90 + $8 buyers fee + $6 s/h.

That's why I listed the hit above the lip first. I think that hit is, as you said, "distracting" and coupled with some light scattered contact marks is enough to hold it back.

While we can disagree on the grade, it's a tremendous bargain at that price!

I wish you luck with the CAC submission if you choose to go that route.

That's why I listed the hit above the lip first. I think that hit is, as you said, "distracting" and coupled with some light scattered contact marks is enough to hold it back.

While we can disagree on the grade, it's a tremendous bargain at that price!

I wish you luck with the CAC submission if you choose to go that route.

Thanks, we'll see how it looks in hand when I get it. But based on the images, it appears to be more lustrous and mark-free than the specimen i already have which lives in a 66 holder.

I kinda like the idea of going for a sticker.

OH I see I USE PCGS only and Really got a 65? If truth wow I must have Bags of 66- 70's then as how could it get a MS or even AU / ? Really then you gotta get a Bag from Euro-pac a Bag of AU-F "junk Silver" Of just Peace/ Morgan dollars and would flood market of Grades that high Serious..

I send 1 to PCGS and has a tiny scratch and can be a 1880 and No wear or copper showing and cannot get a #... Or very lucky if do... This is why I only will buy a PCGS grade as strict, If cleaned ever even with "olive oil Now, is detected and get a "Improper cleaned MS 61/62 and if would have not touched it paid for them to remove a tiny piece of Debris "as maybe had a smudge or some-one prior hit it with black marker as "many like to write on flip and not use right marker and hits coin/ done over..... NO soup for you.... heck had a 1st Yr Morgans that he opened Roll but kept in (a Forever Pouch No plastic's but meant to store forever but coins rattled and just "not to eye but loupe could see fine tiny Rubbs/ scratches and got a MS66 and best 67...

now that is silver/ with copper but all yrs double eagles got 70/68's as had each in/ a non touch place plus all 1/2 1/4 2.50 an4/3/1's......

then as Guilders and 1/4 ducats and french roosters/ Angels 20/100 and Sov's and rands 1/2 etc Canada 5 10 20 Kurush 100 250 500 and well Global Mexico all to 50 Gold did better....So try PCGS and get a reality check...

I did ANAC with a 67 and got 70 same with NGC/ as when with Hedge Fund we found Old Grades and even PCGS if was before 1999 / Send in same Holder and have Re-grade and 7/10 dropped Grades per technology..

So must hold tight on my PICTURE ONLY seen.....

Who are you? You have been here 3 days and already are posting , do some research, read some of the old guess the grade listings, the people who have been here are usually within a point, they are very good at grading from photos. One that I know of, used to be a grader. He posted to this thread. If you like PCGS so much, go ATS and extol their service over there. But you have probably alread been banned from there with your attitude.

Is that white spot cleaning residue? Been dipped in acetone maybe?

The spots are called milk spots. They are fairly common on Peace Dollars. They are not a sign of cleaning or dipping.

To elaborate further - they are an artifact of the minting process. The planchets were washed at the mint, and the residue from this bath sometimes remained on the planchet during striking. These spots cannot be removed. They will tend to affect the grade if there are more than a few of them. Silver coins of the mid 20th century are especially afflicted by them.