• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will this VAM grade 63?

18 posts in this topic

Newly discovered VAM, never even realized after years of owning it.

I believe it meets the criteria for VAM 145, as the serifs are missing at the base of N and M in UNUM. I'm calling it 63, how about you? The obverse has decent mirrors, the reverse, plain Ol' white satin luster.

18787tfvam145blackcombo1.jpg

cropUNUM18787TF1.jpg

<<Honestly, I'd say that's at least 63. Probably even 64. Obviously, the spot next to the eagle hurts, and the marks in the field in front of Liberty, but overall the coin looks pretty nice.>>

Thanks physics-fan3.14, as you know PL fields exaggerate hits n marks. I was so excited when the discovery was made. The carbon spot sure is a bummer, it is what it is, nothing I can do about it. Makes for a solid identifier though :) Any one have pops in 63 and 64 for VAM 145's? Thanks,

Scott

<<Honestly, I'd say that's at least 63. Probably even 64. Obviously, the spot next to the eagle hurts, and the marks in the field in front of Liberty, but overall the coin looks pretty nice.>>

Thanks physics-fan3.14, as you know PL fields exaggerate hits n marks. I was so excited when the discovery was made. The carbon spot sure is a bummer, it is what it is, nothing I can do about it. Makes for a solid identifier though :) Any one have pops in 63 and 64 for VAM 145's? Thanks,

Scott

Yes, they absolutely do. The cheek is even more important than the fields when grading these, and that cheek looks pretty clean. Hence the 64 grade.

Cheek yells 64 but the fields scream 63. Of course you are absolutely right that the PL obverse fields show a lot more marks than a satin coin would. I'll be the devil's advocate and call it a 63+! lol

Grading for a Old coin is total different from a New off the Line/ all of line are considered 63/65 grade and the New Briliiant GEM garbage is saying well you have a limited qty and "well it is a 65 or higher but we are not going to put a grade as a limited qty Mint/ as in Canada Privy Mark coins with the New process of 5-6 9's pure...

I have been a Dealer and collector and really put no prudence on Unless Old and hits a MS65 or higher might as well NOT grade/ as it will devalue coin..

another is/ as I say IT ALL MELTS THE SAME/ so in a Hyper inflation time as we are hitting Grading should be "just a waste" As when comes to Really Precous metals and Metals used in Industry as SILVER....

I have learned NOT GRADE and get as much as 1 can in the metals they want, AS I am when buy silver Like yes my 500 sealed rounds but Now have after 20 Yrs "last 12 switched to 100/ 1000 ounce to get that 8 cent over spot or lower/ as I can always "slice pieces from to "say meet a purchase done with needed Metals...

SO Grade/ that is nice coin but 66 is what after and not going to get/ AS in Hyper inflation a RARE ONLY COIN will be bought for GRADE "as say as I as Hedge Fund buyer and trader of Precious metals.. WE have done well with Holdings of Graded coins over last 20 Yr's but now say the Hyper inflation is bringing GRADE price down... And a 1/2 billion to billionaire collector is the only type that "would preserve history and 66 is magic #... I am seeing It as 1907 Double eagle Gold MS70 we were able to sell at 1.5-2 million and 69 20% less NOW we are seeing Graded coins Falling in Price Now that 70 is 1.4 Million and going lower on the 1907...

I cannot see a loss as 20$ to grade and with Silver going to 500$ per ounce Ok so 30$ in silver plus well 15$/ as if have right subscription and I only am PCGS guy and 98% of clients will not take a NGC 70 as a 70 68/69 so we get grade for under 8$ coin but so spend the 15/20$ have 50$ into coin/ so sell at 500$ IF HYPER INFLATION /Halts numismatics....

A WIN WIN....

Ok my opinion Only and experience/ I see ok NGC maybe 62 PCGS A / au58 but a AU-58 is awesome/ but only for PRo's as see AU-58 defined as may look it up/ in many cases it can be better the a MS 60 plus as very ambigious... Again ask yourself has been handled by human hands /no white gloved and a full deep strike with all high points there and details excellant..

Hope Helps (and Fine Yr Find.. I would leave it to a Auction as per what CDN books it at/ must have CDN and PCGS/NGC past sales and well e-mail 1 and ask "how many have you graded for this coin?? what is highest in CDN and per the 2 grading companies... Heck I had a ANAC's find of 1/2 Liberty MS67 1942 -S and well as ANACs My network would pay MS 61 prices..

mike

Grading for a Old coin is total different from a New off the Line/ all of line are considered 63/65 grade and the New Briliiant GEM garbage is saying well you have a limited qty and "well it is a 65 or higher but we are not going to put a grade as a limited qty Mint/ as in Canada Privy Mark coins with the New process of 5-6 9's pure...

I have learned NOT GRADE and get as much as 1 can in the metals they want, AS I am when buy silver Like yes my 500 sealed rounds but Now have after 20 Yrs "last 12 switched to 100/ 1000 ounce to get that 8 cent over spot or lower/ as I can always "slice pieces from to "say meet a purchase done with needed Metals...

SO Grade/ that is nice coin but 66 is what after and not going to get/ AS in Hyper inflation a RARE ONLY COIN will be bought for GRADE "as say as I as Hedge Fund buyer and trader of Precious metals.. WE have done well with Holdings of Graded coins over last 20 Yr's but now say the Hyper inflation is bringing GRADE price down... And a 1/2 billion to billionaire collector is the only type that "would preserve history and 66 is magic #

I cannot see a loss as 20$ to grade and with Silver going to 500$ per ounce Ok so 30$ in silver plus well 15$/ as if have right subscription and I only am PCGS guy and 98% of clients will not take a NGC 70 as a 70 68/69 so we get grade for under 8$ coin but so spend the 15/20$ have 50$ into coin/ so sell at 500$ IF HYPER INFLATION /Halts numismatics....

A WIN WIN....

Ok my opinion Only and experience/ I see ok NGC maybe 62 PCGS A / au58 but a AU-58 is awesome/ but only for PRo's as see AU-58 defined as may look it up/ in many cases it can be better the a MS 60 plus as very ambigious... Again ask yourself has been handled by human hands /no white gloved and a full deep strike with all high points there and details excellant..

Hope Helps (and Fine Yr Find.. I would leave it to a Auction as per what CDN books it at/ must have CDN and PCGS/NGC past sales and well e-mail 1 and ask "how many have you graded for this coin?? what is highest in CDN and per the 2 grading companies... Heck I had a ANAC's find of 1/2 Liberty MS67 1942 -S and well as ANACs My network would pay MS 61 prices..

mike

hm

???

(shrug)

hm

???

:insane: