• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wow Take A Look At The New NGC Registry Award Icons! by JAA USA/Philippines Collection

14 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I really like the new icons NGC has designed for award winning registry sets.

When I logged in to my Collector's Society account this evening I was pleasantly surprised to find that the nondescript "2011 Best Presented Set" icon on my USA-Philippines Type Set http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=51257 had been replaced with a much more attractive orange colored icon.

If you look through the registry you will see that the award icons for all of the competitive registry awards have been redesigned. I really like the idea of having distinct colors for each of the major categories i.e.; Best Classic Set, Best Modern Set, Best World Set, Best Presented Set.

Sets that have won a Best in Category award for multiple years now have a number indicating the number of times the award has been given instead of multiple award icons. If you click on the red "Best In Category" icon a pop-up appears with the years that the award was received.

There has also been a change in the small icons used to denote winning sets in the set listings. The multiple small ribbon icons, with the year of award on the rosette, are gone. Instead there is new, much more uncluttered, look with a single large yellow ribbon in the rank column denoting a winning set. Sets that have received multiple awards have a number on the ribbon indicating the number of times that an award has been given. Click on the yellow ribbon and a pop-up appears denoting the type of award and the year(s) that the award has been given.

If you examine the new registry letterhead you will see that there is a new award icon in the mix, one for NGC Best In Category. Awarding an icon of recognition for NGC Best In Category is a terrific idea that should generate a lot of excitement in the collector community.

12408.jpg

See more journals by JAA USA/Philippines Collection

Agreed. I like it too. I spent a little time exploring it also and found that if you click on the red ribbon, not only do you get the list of years a set has won, but you can click on the year and see the set frozen in time with the particular coins that set won with in that particular year. Pretty cool feature.

Pretty spiffy! I see NGC hasn't gotten around to the custom sets yet, probably just a matter of time. Well done NGC, once again you show why I prefer participating in your registry over any other.

Gary

There's really not much point in obscuring a #1 set anymore.

It's been possible to find the content of the obscured #1 sets by working your way through the awards pages, but this puts the direct link right out there for anyone to click on.

You can see everything, including the individual coin descriptions and pictures. It completely defeats the purpose of obscuring the set. ;)

Slight revision: You can see everything about the individual coins in a #1 obscured set IF there are pictures and/or descriptions associated with them.

I think the new icons look great. If you notice though for the time being if you had a set that has only placed first 1 year or last year was the first time you had a set place first you no longer have an icon to show that it won.

If you had a set that was Best In Category last year and it does not shows a red Best In Category icon on the set that is probably a bug in the system and you should contact NGC so that they can correct the issue. All of the USA-Philippine sets that were Best In Category for the first time last year Have the red Best in Category icon on the set.

If you are talking about the yellow ribbon icon on the set listing that is only visable under the All Coins view. None of the yellow ribbon icons from previous awards are visable with the NGC Coins view. I assume that the NGC coins view is being reserved for the NGC Best In Category awards that will be awarded in January.

I had to get my browser to "reload" the pages before the new icons showed up. If you have your browser set to "cache" large amounts of the website, try doing a "refresh" of the page and they should be showing up.

-Brandon

I sent in a recommendation earlier this year that they needed to do something to consolidate the award ribbons for multiple year winners since they were getting a little crazy for some of the proof sets among others. I included a few ideas on how to do it. I like what they came up with.

I had some trouble getting the ribbons to appear earlier in the day but they are all showing up now.

Interesting coin928. As you stated in your earlier post with a little bit of research into the past years winners you could view the coin grade and certification number. You could not see pictures or descriptions if the owner choose that option but at least you knew what they had. Not sure why you would wish to hide your set whether you are the sole number one set or share it with many. Yes, not all of us collectors are great photographers or can write the best narrative to describe our coins but in MHO I like to look at all kinds of coins and to share my coins with other collectors.

My take is this: if you are going to have a registry set and there are no pics or descriptions, you cannot be #1. I like those sets that put time and effort in the description and images such as Jaa or Ghermman, For someone to just buy the top pop and have no pics or information just sucks

I agree and I like your attitude! A set is just a list of numbers with the pics and descriptions. There should be some kind of recognition for having 100% pics and 100% descriptions.