• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1958-D nickel DDO plus DDR Beautful coin, one of a kind?

36 posts in this topic

Here's something that may help...you noted "DDO-DDR"...not that it's impossible, but the odds against an actual doubled die obverse being paired with a doubled die reverse are phenomenally small. However, by its very nature, maching doubling frequently affects both sides of the coin being struck...not always, but frequently.

So whenever you see doubling on BOTH sides, you should, 99.997% of the time, think "machine doubling", and not DDO/DDR.

This is ESPECIALLY true of doubled mintmarks on pre-1985 mintmarked coins, as the mintmark is punched into the die AFTER the doubling process occurs.

As shown here, all examples of an actual 1969-S Double Die cent will have no doubling evident on the MM:

1969_s_ddo_date-596x462.jpg

CONECA has documented countless DDO/DDR combinations across every series, but this nickel is still machine doubled ;)

On 11/10/2012 at 6:22 PM, eddieownz-migration said:

Edit, i added the pictures in the files.

This is a great find! 1958-D DDO-DDR, the coin weighs 5.2 grams.

Obverse,

This is a very thick coin, the star is really big! every letter is thick and or doubled, sorry for the bad pictures i will upload better pics later. his eye shows doubling also the w in WE, its just 2 lines crossing, you cant see it but his nose has another piece under it.

Reverse,

the hole building is DD, doubling increases through the hole reverse from left to right.

you can see where the mint mark is has the most doubling but sense it isnt a very good picture it doesn't show the letter doubling.

soo is this one of a kind? how much do you think its worth? lemme know what you think.

I was doing an error check and found exactly what you have. Cool:)

IMG_20180714_221354.jpg