• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Photo editing software, cropping and inserts.

27 posts in this topic

Thanks to Bob (Robec) and trial and error, I finally figured out how to lay the insert behind the coin. Before I was cropping out the pic and saving the changes, then when I opened the pic there was a square around the coin pic, which I then filled in with black. Now I'm cropping the pic and cutting and pasting it into a new pre-defined black image area. The layering couldn't be easier. Sorta subjective as to exactly where the insert should be. Good felling when I was able to lay the insert behind the coin images. Fist pumping, yeah!

My first subject :)

1881Scomboblackinsert1.jpg

2nd subject

18788tfblackinsertcombo1.jpg

I'm using ArcSosft PhotoStudio 5.5 software, I know it's funny :) It came with my Cannon scanner, it's over 5 years old but does the trick. I also use the editing tools that come with Photobucket for contrast, brightness and vibrance. I try to do as little post editing as possible. Only enough to represent the coin in-hand.

EDIT: It's coin imaging on an unemployment budget.

Photoshop is fun to work with. There are still lots of things I haven't used in it. I bought it only for coin cropping. I have PS Elements 10 right now and I still need more practice with it. Here's one of my Jeffs I played with.

2003JeffersonPS.jpg

Todd,

Thanks for the advice over the years.

bsshog40,

I would get rid of the mirror effect and crop a bit tighter around the insert, JMO.

The nickel came out pretty good. Not trying to bash the image or nothing.

Scott

I think your images look great morganguru.

I'm just curious, you have so much black "dead space" both above and below the actual coin images, why not move the coin crops down a bit, and move the label crop up a bit (to separate them from one another)? The label is heavily hidden behind the coins, and seems too "pasted" to my eye. Just a suggestion...I can't critique your coin images at all. They are stellar. (thumbs u

Todd,

Thanks for the advice over the years.

bsshog40,

I would get rid of the mirror effect and crop a bit tighter around the insert, JMO.

The nickel came out pretty good. Not trying to bash the image or nothing.

Scott

This was just a 5 minute thing I did real fast with pics I had already cropped. Was just merely showing some options of things with PS.

brg5658,

Appreciate the comments and suggestions. Not really sure why I have area around the coin, thought maybe it would look better than cropping tight.

bsshog40,

That's what I figured. Appears you are quite savvy with the software, keep on shootin :)

Nice job Brucewar. How was the image to work with?

Newprepper, I resize my Morgan pics to 2150x2150, then cut&paste them into a new black image area that's predefined say 4400x2500 then crop that out as I see fit. The layering is pretty simple. Open up new layer tab, and drag the insert pic to the first layer and position as needed. I use cheap editing software that came with my Cannon scanner. It's ArcSoft PhotoStudio 5.5, over 5 years old but it does the trick. I also use some of the tools offered by Photobucket, contrast, brightness, vibrance, etc. It's coin photography on an unemployment budget.