• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My humble 1918 Illinois Centennial half dollar.

21 posts in this topic

That coin is a wow. Really nice.

David Bowers wrote that there was no original packaging but that was 20 years ago. I'll bet Lee will have something cool to add.

<<Howdy - really nice coin. If you don't mind, a quick question... how do you post photos on this Forum? Your pics are really nice. Thanks.>>

You can either attach an image or create an account on Photobucket (image hosting site) for example, and copy the direct link URL generated and paste it into this box with the image tags at the ends. url for image here. Don't know if I explained it well enough but will help you out. I suggest PB been using it for years, excellent editing tool also.

Scott

A nice example.

(thumbs u

The Illinois Centennial coin is one that I have not found any information on original holders.

:(

I keep buying half dollar rolls at the bank hoping to find one lol

I also keep checking the wild rabbits in my back yard to see if one is carrying a basket with eggs in it, but I haven't found that either. Thinking about it, I am probably going to find the rabbit before I find the coin...

Really sweet Illinois commemorative.... I am still looking for one of these.

Howdy - thanks for the info on posting pics on this Forum. Didn't have a clue what you said (really stuck in the last century technology wise) but glad to know that I am not missing a simple "attach image" button somewhere on this site. I have always liked the "vintage" commemorative halves and still collect them from time to time. Anyway, thanks for the help and good luck with the MS-65 hunt... :o)

These didn't come with any original "holders". Some were placed in badges to be worn at celebrations etc. You see them every once in awhile. There was a great hoard of lightly specimen's found at one Illinois bank. It was either 30,000 coins or $30,000 worth. I think the former. Lot's were lightly circulated.

Nice coin OP.

MJ

You've got a great looking Half Dollar commemorative there. I have always felt the the Illinois Centennial coin was among the more attractive commemoratives. And not just because Lincoln was portrayed on the obverse, but the coin as a whole was designed well in my opinion. Do you have just the one coin, or do you collect the Half Dollar commemoratives?

Nice looking Illinois commemorative. Definitely my favorite design of the series!

A year or two ago there was an Illinois commemorative half in one of the Heritage auctions that supposedly came with some sort of "original" packaging. Of course, the coin was certified and the Hertiage online listing only showed images of the coin and slab, not the packaging. I actually went to in-person lot viewing in Beverly Hills for the auction hoping to see this packaging and was very disappointed to learn that such packaging wasn't available. For lot viewings in Beverly Hills it is typical that they only have slabbed coins available and rarely have any larger lots there. I was a bit disappointed about that and never did find out what type of packaging was sold with the coin as I was outbid (and unwilling to bid any stronger w/o knowing what I was getting).