• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1896-O Morgan debating on sending in,vote send or not

108 posts in this topic

No Way!

No way! Would you care to go into a little detail besides"No way!" You do realise the color on the coin is toning you are looking at right? It is all original,not dipped like these other bright morgans your looking at. So instead of "No way!" what grade would you give it,nice answer by the way,took alot of time for you to come up with that?

At best the coin is Au 50 which puts the wholesale value at $100.

So what is the point of spending money to grade this coin ??

If you send it in and the coin comes back with a details grade will you complain to us? FYI – the coin may have been cleaned and at the least looks to have been dipped and re- toned over time so I doubt it is original. On second thought maybe it spent too much time on a Donkeys back in a bag 116 years ago.

Nice effect with the Rare on the holder – was that you who put the MS on the holder ?? You think it is MS , show me the Luster - never mind there is none.

Fixed that for you....I hate having to open 10 more pages. Use the link at the bottom of your photobucket options that starts with the IMG text.

That coin looks AU at best to me.

more96-o005.jpg

more96-o004.jpgmore96-o002.jpgmore96-o003.jpg1896-omorgan005.jpg

Why would you wonder if this coin is worth getting graded?

It doesn't seem as if it would be worth it unless there was an excellent chance that it would grade AU58 or higher. And if you think that, you really don't know how to grade.

If you send it in and the coin comes back with a details grade will you complain to us? FYI – the coin may have been cleaned and at the least looks to have been dipped and re- toned over time so I doubt it is original. On second thought maybe it spent too much time on a Donkeys back in a bag 116 years ago.

Nice effect with the Rare on the holder – was that you who put the MS on the holder ?? You think it is MS , show me the Luster - never mind there is none.

Wow,Mary says its a common date..I thought you all knew something the way you bashed my 1st post.I will show you what this coin goes for and all this coin has to do is make it to AU 58 and if it grades better,its a home run

1896-O

625 AU58

1,400 MS 60

1896-O

1896-S

Why would you wonder if this coin is worth getting graded?

It doesn't seem as if it would be worth it unless there was an excellent chance that it would grade AU58 or higher. And if you think that, you really don't know how to grade.

You kill me!...You think your the best that ever lived.I hate to tell you but IF I wanted to turn coins I get,I make a very good profit...good enough that IF I wasnt 100 percent service connected from the 1st gulf war,I could make a very good living doing so with coins.I only sold for a short time when I had to pay a debt off to my father BUT I am just closing on a house at the moment and IF I wanted to..I could have the home paid off in 6 years. I guess the best thing I can say to you is;you keep doing what works for you and ill stay very happy over here.

You apparently havent seen many morgans if you cannot determine by the picture that this coin still has its original PATINA on the coin.Ill show you the luster in about 3 months from now when I get these back from being graded.This will be 1 of 200 going out.

So when have you decided that a 1896-O is not a rare coin?

A little civility can go a long way here on the boards. Please don't alienate us, please don't hostilely argue with the experts, please do not come in here full of bluster and insulting us and saying we don't know what we are talking about. The 96-O is indeed scarce in UNC, and downright rare in higher grades.

Yours is AU, and is cleaned to boot. Sorry to tell you, but it has almost certainly been cleaned. That's not necessarily a terrible thing, I don't see evidence of hairlines. A dip doesn't scare most collectors - and a coin can certainly retone after a cleaning. Again, I repeat, your coin is worth about $100.

As for your 1879S - I grade that coin about $35, also definitely not worth submitting. It is an attractive coin for what it is, and appears to be original (certainly more so than the other coin). However, there is definitely wear obvious on both sides of the coin. 79S is one of the most common dates, and unless it is extremely high grade or a scarce VAM it is not worth submitting.

You apparently havent seen many morgans if you cannot determine by the picture that this coin still has its original PATINA on the coin.Ill show you the luster in about 3 months from now when I get these back from being graded.This will be 1 of 200 going out.

I am sorry – I am old and my eyes are not that good – yep your coin is full or its original patina and it is absolutely at least MS 63. No way has it be cleaned or dipped – that is just not possible because it was safely tucked away in that burlap bag on the Donkies back for all these years.

Once again please forgive my ignorance , I just don’t have a clue and will never be at your level of numismatic expertise. Should I go stand in a corner now ?

So when have you decided that a 1896-O is not a rare coin?

A little civility can go a long way here on the boards. Please don't alienate us, please don't hostilely argue with the experts, please do not come in here full of bluster and insulting us and saying we don't know what we are talking about. The 96-O is indeed scarce in UNC, and downright rare in higher grades.

Yours is AU, and is cleaned to boot. Sorry to tell you, but it has almost certainly been cleaned. That's not necessarily a terrible thing, I don't see evidence of hairlines. A dip doesn't scare most collectors - and a coin can certainly retone after a cleaning. Again, I repeat, your coin is worth about $100.

As for your 1879S - I grade that coin about $35, also definitely not worth submitting. It is an attractive coin for what it is, and appears to be original (certainly more so than the other coin). However, there is definitely wear obvious on both sides of the coin. 79S is one of the most common dates, and unless it is extremely high grade or a scarce VAM it is not worth submitting.

I guess if people wernt so arrogant,we would all get along fine.As far as my 1896-O goes once it is graded ill show you the grade(which I think will suprise you) and ill tell you what I have in it.Im not doing coins to make money but im not doing it to lose money either and I wont lose money on that coin.As far as the 79-S goes,im affraid 35 dollars wont buy it because it is a ms 62-63 reverse of 78.

I am sorry – I am old and my eyes are not that good – yep your coin is full or its original patina and it is absolutely at least MS 63. No way has it be cleaned or dipped – that is just not possible because it was safely tucked away in that burlap bag on the Donkies back for all these years.

Once again please forgive my ignorance , I just don’t have a clue and will never be at your level of numismatic expertise. Should I go stand in a corner now ?

You can go stand wherever you feel most comfortable,those that know you would probably prefer a busy intersection.

As far as my 1896-O goes once it is graded ill show you the grade(which I think will suprise you) and ill tell you what I have in it.Im not doing coins to make money but im not doing it to lose money either and I wont lose money on that coin.As far as the 79-S goes,im affraid 35 dollars wont buy it because it is a ms 62-63 reverse of 78.

What do you think the grade of the 96O is?

I would love to act civil and I do when im not attacked by arrogance.Most have acted like they know everything so dont even try to put one past me,well I did with the 79-s and some people know coins and do well with them.I bought a roll of 23 peace dollars for 650 about 5 months ago.Do you think I did well with that purchase?I DID and i DID because I found one of the most rarest VAMS in that roll.It was a tail on the "O" graded ms 63 in a LDS.My 30 dollar coin became a 1400 dollar coin.How many of you would have noticed the vam? raise your hands,my point is that eveyone can bring something to the table but I list a "common ' coin,everyone picks it apart and theres no way in gods green earth PCGS can be wrong! Let me tell you something,I got kicked off the pcgs site because I spoke my mind just as a am now but I also caught them not giving everyone a fair shake on their grades.I now use NGC at times and I am becoming a big fan of ANACS. You have your opinion ,I have mine and ill bet we both have some nice coins.

As far as my 1896-O goes once it is graded ill show you the grade(which I think will suprise you) and ill tell you what I have in it.Im not doing coins to make money but im not doing it to lose money either and I wont lose money on that coin.As far as the 79-S goes,im affraid 35 dollars wont buy it because it is a ms 62-63 reverse of 78.

I think its a AU 58 and could very well pass as a 60-62 if I get blessed.

I guess I should tell you why I also feel that way. I feel that way because it does have its natural patina,the coin was lightly cleaned awhile ago but it was light.It does have its luster and does still present the cartwheel on the coin(and not just at the top of the coin)It has a very nice natural look to it still.

I guess I should tell you why I also feel that way. I feel that way because it does have its natural patina,the coin was lightly cleaned awhile ago but it was light.It does have its luster and does still present the cartwheel on the coin(and not just at the top of the coin)It has a very nice natural look to it still.

You are very mistaken. I'm sorry, but you have a lot to learn.

You are very mistaken. I'm sorry, but you have a lot to learn.

I have alot to learn?? ill tell you what,do you have any 1879-S morgans I can buy from you for 35 dollars?

He has now illustrated for all to see, that he does not know how to grade. Calling that coin AU58 ("or could very well pass as a 60-62") is not one of those "maybe it is, maybe it isn't" grades. It is flat out incorrect. And changing the subject to that of an 1879-S or other date coin, does nothing to change that.

My grade for the '96-O is AU50 with a shot at 53 (assuming it grades). And yes, it is a better date.

The '79-S appears better and might make 55 or 58.

Neither are worth the cost of certification.

He has now illustrated for all to see, that he does not know how to grade. Calling that coin AU58 ("or could very well pass as a 60-62") is not one of those "maybe it is, maybe it isn't" grades. It is flat out incorrect. And changing the subject to that of an 1879-S or other date coin, does nothing to change that.

!st of all.....I think it is you who obviously doesnt even submit coins because if you did you would know the grades always come back low..so for my response to be what it was was right on,second if you read the whole messages you would see my topic didnt change...what is your problem.I would ask in a different way but im trying to be polite.