• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tired Of Hoot's Nickel Problems? How About A Question?

21 posts in this topic

Hey Hoot, I'm just busting your cajones, that's all! smile.gif893whatthe.gif

As for the question, has anyone ever gutted a portion of their collection in order to help another segment of it? I'm posting this in the Registry forum because I recently sold a number of really nice type coins in order to buy a single piece that did not relate to that set. My Registry set, listed for sharing purposes only and not as a competitive set, was hammered for about a 10,000 point loss. But, does it really matter? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Of course, the point loss does not matter, but the loss of the coins that those points represented certainly does.

Overall, I thought the "trade" of those coins for the single coin I purchased with the money from their sale was worth it. Has anyone else done this? Were you later satisfied or did you continuously have misgivings? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Tom,

I did just the same. Remember that 1877 IHC that I posted last week. That took a substantial number of coins from my type set. I just figured it would be better to hold an 1877 IHC than a bunch of old nickels shocked.gif. Sorry Hoot. Actually the coins have not come out of my set yet but will be in next 2 months. It was a tough decision, but I would have kicked myself if I didnt buy that IHC for the price I paid. I try to go thru life without having regrets. So far so good.

Tom,

As you know, I am in the process of doing this right now. I am selling my Morgan dollar set so I can put the funds toward my early commem & buffalo nickel sets.

Morgan dollars were the first set that I ever completed. This was years ago, and I have since lost interest in them over the years so I decided that instead of keeping them I would sell them and move on. I don’t think I’ll regret it, but I guess only time will tell.

P.S. thanks for the info you gave me a week or so ago. I’ve been so busy both at work and home that I did not have the time to thank you earlier.

John

Tired Of Hoot's Nickel Problems?

Yes.

Now, for your central question...

I'm just on the verge of this. I'm about to sell all of my PCGS graded FS Jefferson nickels from the years 1940-1941, and 1946-1964. I've decided that the NGC graded 6 step coins are worth keeping until which time monetary value (and collector's brains) catches up with them. They are pretty rare coins, for the most part. I'm also keeping all of my nickels of 1938 and '39, as well as my nickels of 1942-45 as type for the series. This is because I just can't seem to get enough of nickels from those years! insane.gif As for the rest, I am going to focus on MS66 and MS67 quality coins and look for as many as I can that are early die state (most of those grades are MDS or EDS, the latter being preferable to me). This is because I have decided for myself that grade and die state, as well as overall appeal, win out over steps. Sorry David, but steps just don't do it for me that much any more - unless it's 6 solid steps, usually representing EDS. I'm also contemplating the same for the years 1965-present, but feel patient to decide.

Am I nuts? Maybe. But this goes to show how diverse the Jefferson nickel series is for collectors. cool.gif

Will I still feel like I'm tripping on the steps of Monticello as I navigate a non-FS nickel? Yup. 27_laughing.gif

What can I say, but that I think what each of you are talking about is the natural shift in interest that comes with collecting and personal experience. Helps the hobby go around.

I can't get this done fast enough but with the insanity of the summer at my heels, I'm moving rather s-l-o-w-l-y.

Hoot

Sure. I've sold off entire collections because they were too extensive and the prices were getting crazy. I used to collect all good-for tokens and they were lots of fun for a quarter each and much less when you learned you could trade for them but then they started running 2, 3 or even 4 dollars each and it was difficult to work a set that had tens of thousands of possibilities in it. I sold and traded off everything except Indiana and some neighboring states so I could concentrate on the issues closer to home. Other collections have been traded simply because my focus changed or I learned more about the series. Other collections proved to be far more than could be done. For instance in the mid-'70's it was extremely difficult to assemble gem sets of Franklins, Jeffersons, and Washingtons not because of cost but because there were no grading companies to identify the finer pieces so it required great leg-work to locate them. I've started collections of some things only to decide that they were more desirable or more interesting in a different grade.

Tastes change as one's knowledge and experience increase. This will be reflected in your collection eventually.

I'm not surprised to see that so many of us have had the same experience. I've sold portions of my collection before simply because I changed direction, but this was the first time I put a concerted effort into liquidating something I am still interested in just to put the resources into something different.

Other collections proved to be far more than could be done. For instance in the mid-'70's it was extremely difficult to assemble gem sets of Franklins, Jeffersons, and Washingtons not because of cost but because there were no grading companies to identify the finer pieces so it required great leg-work to locate them.

I still find the most satisfying pieces in my collection are those that I found raw - more than half of my certified Jefferson nickel collection, for sure. Hard to do this with other series, like buffs, but I've managed a few of those as well. Feels like victory to get back some highly graded coins after selecting them from the "wild!" smile.gif

Hoot

Mark, no need to apologize! I understand that its different strokes for different folks that makes coin collecting as diverse as it is with so many of us hunting for what we want. And as nuts as I am for FS raw Jeffs, I've been of the opinion for quite some time now that there are going to be some in the series that I just won't find raw so have been focusing on picking up the slabbed versions as they are offered. But I'm making sure they are at least as good as a point below pop. Otherwise, there wouldn't be any point to my purchases down the road. And like you, this includes going for the 6FSers that are out there first.

I also did a 180 in my collecting about two years ago. Had a very nice start on a PR Jeff series but got to the point that the ones I needed for completion were either never going to show themselves, were going to cost me an arm and a leg if they did, or both. Got tired of waiting and watching while still going for the FSers. Its just a whole lot more fun for me ever since I sold them all and switched to FSers, mint boxed ASEs, and recently started early commems (raw of course).

Hoot

What is MDS and EDS.... I haven't heard that before. I started a long time ago collecting MS67 only in the early years and Higher grade FS only (MS65 -66) in the later years. I rarely see any MS67s in the later years (except 2000+).

I have enjoyed "The Hunt" for many years and was lots of fun but also getting a little tired of it. I have considered selling also. Hve contacted Heritage but don't get a rep[ly from them???? Are you going to sell on your ebay auction site or aother way if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks

Nickelhead 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think Hoot is writing about middle die state (MDS) and early die state (EDS) when he uses those abbreviations.

I think Hoot is writing about middle die state (MDS) and early die state (EDS) when he uses those abbreviations.

Tom's correct.

And I'll be selling those coins via personal interactions, the boards, eBay, etc.

Hoot

Gutting? Yes, I've just very recently sold a bunch of Hoot's and Wihlborgs nickel collection (unbeknownst to them) so as to help complete my gold sets. Both sets no longer exist so you can formally now ignore all references to them in the Registry listing. 893whatthe.gif

Seriously (I think) I dumped some gold at the beginning of the year (Saints and Indian $2.5s) to help with my Buff, $10, $5 Indian sets. I just felt the QEs where just not that interesting and the Saint set is near impossible to complete (not that the $10 and $5 sets are that much easier). So something had to give. Plus, gold had gone up so I made out like the bandit I am... heh

jom

I've just very recently sold a bunch of Hoot's and Wihlborgs nickel collection (unbeknownst to them)

So that's what happened to them. I thought I must have misplaced them and I've been looking all over for them. Whew that's a relief. foreheadslap.gif I'm so glad I didn't lose them...err wait a minute!

Jom, I WANT MY NICKELS BACK! sumo.gifgrin.gif

John

Gutting? Yes, I've just very recently sold a bunch of Hoot's and Wihlborgs nickel collection (unbeknownst to them) so as to help complete my gold sets. Both sets no longer exist so you can formally now ignore all references to them in the Registry listing. 893whatthe.gifjom

I have undergone significant trouble over this (sniff, sniff). frown.gif I have led the police in a nation-wide search and now my family is ruined (cry, cry). crazy.gif We are now so broke and destitute that I don't even have the money to fly to the LA area, hunt down jom, and kill his family before his miserable eyes. 893whatthe.gif

sorry.gif Hoot

and kill his family before his miserable eyes. 893whatthe.gif

Too bad, you'll never find me. I've already moved to the Caymens...wait..uh...minute...D'oh!

jom

It gives back the nickels, or it gets the hose.

I'm beginning to become quite fond of Arch being a mafia thug. ooo.gifinsane.gif

Hoot

Arch is quoting that whack-job from Silence of the

Lambs.

Gives me the friggin' chills...

EVP

Ah! Hannibal. insane.gif Perhaps he'll save face that way.

Hoot

Not Lechter! That other whack-job that the feds were chasing. I think his name was Jamie Gum, and he was shot by the character played by the Coppertone actress.

(I'm forgetting names...)

EVP