• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PLEASE GUESS THE GRADE OF THIS 1880-S MORGAN DOLLAR THAT WAS BROUGHT TO THE MINT

87 posts in this topic

You know I see the grades of some of these coins especially from sites where grading and selling isnt a conflict of interest on and some of the grades I see amazes me.Its almost as if the grader has a friend submitting his coins for him to have graded based on some of the quality I see.

You know I see the grades of some of these coins especially from sites where grading and selling isnt a conflict of interest on and some of the grades I see amazes me.Its almost as if the grader has a friend submitting his coins for him to have graded based on some of the quality I see.

I grade your attitude P01.

You can create conspiracy theories in your head to justify whatever you want; but, the most obvious answer to the questions and observations you have is that you don't know how to grade coins and you are not willing to invest the time or effort to learn.

:facepalm:

I grade your attitude P01.

You can create conspiracy theories in your head to justify whatever you want; but, the most obvious answer to the questions and observations you have is that you don't know how to grade coins and you are not willing to invest the time or effort to learn.

:facepalm:

I dont have c/t I hear it all though all my diff lcs's .Thanks for the grade! Im willing to learn,please teach me,well start fresh..ill throw all I know out from this point and start over.

If you want a great example of my c/t then look at the ms 65 on ebay listed by a big coin dealer,then look at my ms 64 rb 1873 closed 3 which by the way is one of those coins that is worth 1300 the way it sits but at a ms 65 r were talking quite a nice step up

ON HORSEBACK>>IN BAGShttp://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s421/pauliswilling/1880-S%20morgan%20rip%20off%20GRADE/1880-sssssssssssssssss001.jpg by the way when you look at the pictures if you click on the picture it will get bigger.

PCGS, Genuine, UNC Details, Cleaned, 92.

FYI, if you're going to post pics of a slabbed coin and do a guess the grade, cover up the cert.# as well.

Anyone can trace the # 26430325 on PCGS's website and get the label info.

And the first part of the #, 7118.92 tells a lot as well. The 92 is PCGS's code for Cleaned.

If there are a number 1-70 after the 7118, that would be the numerical grade, as in your 1903, 7284.64, the 64 is the numerical grade, so that one is a MS64.

when you go to guess the grade,look at the coin..dont punch in the cert number.

Guess the grade usually means guess the grade the TPG gave the coin.

If you want opinions on the grade you should state that's what you want.

As stated, you obviously don't know how to grade, and it's apparent you know nothing about coins either.

ON HORSEBACK>>IN BAGShttp://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s421/pauliswilling/1880-S%20morgan%20rip%20off%20GRADE/1880-sssssssssssssssss001.jpg by the way when you look at the pictures if you click on the picture it will get bigger.

PCGS, Genuine, UNC Details, Cleaned, 92.

FYI, if you're going to post pics of a slabbed coin and do a guess the grade, cover up the cert.# as well.

Anyone can trace the # 26430325 on PCGS's website and get the label info.

And the first part of the #, 7118.92 tells a lot as well. The 92 is PCGS's code for Cleaned.

If there are a number 1-70 after the 7118, that would be the numerical grade, as in your 1903, 7284.64, the 64 is the numerical grade, so that one is a MS64.

when you go to guess the grade,look at the coin..dont punch in the cert number.

Guess the grade usually means guess the grade the TPG gave the coin.

If you want opinions on the grade you should state that's what you want.

As stated, you obviously don't know how to grade, and it's apparent you know nothing about coins either.

I must know something about coins when I sent 20 in to PCGS and one came back with pvc,the other was this one and the next 18 were 62 and above.I had 3 -1903 ms 65's.I sold 14 to my LCS and kept the best 6. Hows your luck when you send in? NOW,my point is if I sent in that many good,I obviously checked my coins b4 sending.Here are the 6 I kept if your interested in seeing.

http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s421/pauliswilling/pcgs%20grades/pcgsgrades002.jpg

It may be helpful if some of the experts gave some advice on how you know if a coin has been cleaned and dipped. What is it and what should a beginner look for?

Thanks!

Hairline scratches that can be circular, are signs a brush was used for cleaning, over dipping or whizzing a coin would reduce or remove the original Mint luster.

It may be helpful if some of the experts gave some advice on how you know if a coin has been cleaned and dipped. What is it and what should a beginner look for?

Thanks!

Hairline scratches that can be circular, are signs a brush was used for cleaning, over dipping or whizzing a coin would reduce or remove the original Mint luster.

There are no cicular hairline scratches as I said in the beginning.There are 5 scratches about 1/2 inch long or less between the E and the P as if the coin was slightly brushed on something THUS the name of the tittle.

Thanks!

There are no cicular hairline scratches as I said in the beginning.There are 5 scratches about 1/2 inch long or less between the E and the P as if the coin was slightly brushed on something THUS the name of the tittle.

There are countless cleaned coins that don't display obvious scratches or cleaning marks. And neither you nor anyone else here knows the history of the coin and how or when it acquired its various flaws.

Thanks!

There are countless cleaned coins that don't display obvious scratches or cleaning marks. And neither you nor anyone else here knows the history of the coin and how or when it acquired its various flaws.

That is correct and niether do you when you were supposivly a grader and didnt take any of that in consideration.I guess my point is you should expect a mark or 2 on a 132 Year old coin.

Thanks!

That is correct and niether do you when you were supposivly a grader and didnt take any of that in consideration.I guess my point is you should expect a mark or 2 on a 132 Year old coin.

I am not familiar with the word "supposivly". But if it was meant to imply that perhaps I wasn't telling the truth about having been a grader, I don't care whether you believe me. And you have no idea regarding what I took into account when I graded coins.

Lastly, I generally do expect to find marks on coins which are 132 years old - I never indicated otherwise. You may carry on without me - I've wasted more than enough time and effort on you.

I was reading the reviews of some grading companies online, one of them only grades MS68, I don't remember which one the article said, I'll try to find the article and forward it to you. You should start using them. Unless they are undergrading also........hmmmm

I was reading the reviews of some grading companies online, one of them only grades MS68, I don't remember which one the article said, I'll try to find the article and forward it to you. You should start using them. Unless they are undergrading also........hmmmm

I'll look at any new info,thanks

I have 100 coins coming back from anacs as we speak and i'll be sending another 200 out with them at the tinley park show.

I will show some of my coins when they come back.

Thanks!

My statement about hairline scratches that can be circular was not in reference, nor relation, to your coin. It was an answer to a question from another member about what to look for on cleaned coins, and that is only one diagnostic.

If you know about grading coins as you "supposivly" claim, you would know the diagnostics of a cleaned coin and what to look for.

Further evidence you know not what you brag to know.

As Mark has stated,

You may carry on without me - I've wasted more than enough time and effort on you.

ADVICE: I suggest you send every coin you own to SEGS. They will all grade MS70 and you will be happy...and maybe (just maybe) you will stop insulting everyone here.

We are not forcing you to post coins and ask for advice. Yet, when you post a less than exciting coin, ask for advice, then berate those who give their opinions we eventually just take you as either 1) crazy or 2) lazy or 3) both.

Now, as others have suggested, you are beyond help in your current state of mind. So, either act like an adult or expect everyone here to ignore your belittling uninformed rants.

Thanks!

My statement about hairline scratches that can be circular was not in reference, nor relation, to your coin. It was an answer to a question from another member about what to look for on cleaned coins, and that is only one diagnostic.

If you know about grading coins as you "supposivly" claim, you would know the diagnostics of a cleaned coin and what to look for.

Further evidence you know not what you brag to know.

As Mark has stated,

You may carry on without me - I've wasted more than enough time and effort on you.

I for one NEVER siad I dont know what to look for on a cleaned and /or dipped cpin.90 percent of coins sent in today are dipped because they have to be to get a grade.If you have any pvc on a coin it will get bagged.The sad part is;what I was always told is;never clean a coin,well to me that means"recondition as well" recondition is a way for the grading companys to clean the coins and get away with it.I know WAY more than you might think.

ADVICE: I suggest you send every coin you own to SEGS. They will all grade MS70 and you will be happy...and maybe (just maybe) you will stop insulting everyone here.

We are not forcing you to post coins and ask for advice. Yet, when you post a less than exciting coin, ask for advice, then berate those who give their opinions we eventually just take you as either 1) crazy or 2) lazy or 3) both.

Now, as others have suggested, you are beyond help in your current state of mind. So, either act like an adult or expect everyone here to ignore your belittling uninformed rants.

YOU sure talk about SEGS alot.DO you have stock in their company?I for one have never used them,never will use them.

I use 2 of the top 3.

Do you see this? All gradeable coins.I have 3 teeth with abcesses right now so,ill just come back when I get my 100 back from Anacs and then ill show you the 200 out of here when they come back,ok Have a pleasnat day!

http://s1051.photobucket.com/albums/s421/pauliswilling/grade/

There is something wrong with your camera - it can only image one side.

There is something wrong with your grading abilities if you can grade a coin by only seeing one side.

There is something wrong with your buying, if you buy a coin off of 1 side picture.

The top TPGs are very good, but do make a mistake on occasion - crack it out and send it again if you feel it has not been cleaned.

After reading and re reading parts of this post, and looking at the grading standards, I see nothing that says anything about considering the history of what might have happened to a coin, just a straight forward explanation as to what satisfies a certain grade requirement, its like if I found a 1955 GMC truck in a field sitting there, nobody has touched it for years, I would expect it to be rusted and broke down, paint faded, knowing how old it is I would expect that, I would not expect to get moon money for it in that condition, now if I found one stored in a garage, in pristine shape...................different story. Grading is based on a standard of appearance, nothing more, nothing less. History is meaningless.