• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PLEASE GUESS THE GRADE OF THIS 1880-S MORGAN DOLLAR THAT WAS BROUGHT TO THE MINT

87 posts in this topic

It is often difficult to provide meaningful grade guesses, based upon (even) excellent images. And the ones you have posted have been far from excellent.

Still, the last one was good enough to show the PCGS grade. And, based on what I can see, it looks accurate to me.

You can second guess the grading companies all you want, but it's unlikely to do you any good. You would be better served if you would be open to the possibility that you, rather than they, have plenty to learn about grading.

would you prefer for me to scan them? Mail the coin to you posibly so you can get the full effect?

Drop the attitude – you bought a raw coin that was most likely polished and then dipped. If you purchased this coin after viewing it in hand then you don’t know enough about grading coins to be fighting with those of us who do.

It is often difficult to provide meaningful grade guesses, based upon (even) excellent images. And the ones you have posted have been far from excellent.

Still, the last one was good enough to show the PCGS grade. And, based on what I can see, it looks accurate to me.

You can second guess the grading companies all you want, but it's unlikely to do you any good. You would be better served if you would be open to the possibility that you, rather than they, have plenty to learn about grading.

well hang on to all your undergraded coins because one day a grading company will appear(they are already out there)that wont be a one grade under conservative grading company.

would you prefer for me to scan them? Mail the coin to you posibly so you can get the full effect?

Drop the attitude – you bought a raw coin that was most likely polished and then dipped. If you purchased this coin after viewing it in hand then you don’t know enough about grading coins to be fighting with those of us who do.

1st of all I dont have a attitude..but after what you wrote im getting one.you think because you graded for NGC for 7 years you are mr I know all?I will say this,that if you didnt take into consideration the age of the coin and what it might of went thrugh to get in your hand,then you didnt grade properly from the get go.The last thing im going to say and you can boot me off the forum if you so choose(,I got booted off pcgs in a week for speaking the truth) and that is,im SICK of sending my coins out and getting a grade under on every coin I send......its NOT just me saying this,its all my coin dealer friends as well.So now I use one grading company and I use NGC every so often for a coin now and then but the compnay I use now is the one that started the grading process and they DO grade varietys.OH,and you can say you see noise in the field(what you saw was the cartwheel of the coin) but honestly,if you did see this coin in your hand you would ask yourself also why it didnt get graded.I will resubmit it to my new company I use and will show it to you after it comes back with the grade it deserved. So let me ask you something,out of the 7 years you graded,how many coins do you think you gave a grade on that was dipped?

Im about to go into a bar and I get tapped on the shoulder,someone dislikes me(like you)they want to get in a gunfight.I tell them "hold on one second,I have to wrap up my 1880_s morgan and protect it so my grandson can get a ms 64 on it on 112 years from Ngc.Or,do you just grade the coins that were put away in the dressers for that long?

Do you want to see the coin they bagged for pvc?Instead of doing a free(conservation for the customer)it gets bagged for some pvc.Why did they bag it? So I can spend another 30 dollars or so to resubmit the coin.Now you can bet if I was a huge coin dealer they would have"conserved it" Speaking of pvc..didnt that get on the coin from the flips the coin shop sold me in 1972?

wait a minute! PVC/1972 hmmmm if I use some common sense that would mean he had the coin in the flip since 1972 .I guess the coin got the altered color from being in a flip since 1972,ill put a grade on that coin instead of bagging the coin he spent his 400 dollars on. Now that brings up another point. Why is it when I submit a proof indian that turned purple from being wrapped in the original package it came in,it wouldnt grade but when I went on ebay,the same exact indian that was purple(same color) that David lawerence has being auctioned is graded a ms 65 red?

1st of all I dont have a attitude..but after what you wrote im getting one.you think because you graded for NGC for 7 years you are mr I know all?I will say this,that if you didnt take into consideration the age of the coin and what it might of went thrugh to get in your hand,then you didnt grade properly from the get go.The last thing im going to say and you can boot me off the forum if you so choose(,I got booted off pcgs in a week for speaking the truth) and that is,im SICK of sending my coins out and getting a grade under on every coin I send......its NOT just me saying this,its all my coin dealer friends as well.So now I use one grading company and I use NGC every so often for a coin now and then but the compnay I use now is the one that started the grading process and they DO grade varietys.OH,and you can say you see noise in the field(what you saw was the cartwheel of the coin) but honestly,if you did see this coin in your hand you would ask yourself also why it didnt get graded.I will resubmit it to my new company I use and will show it to you after it comes back with the grade it deserved. So let me ask you something,out of the 7 years you graded,how many coins do you think you gave a grade on that was dipped?

You're confused. I am the one who graded at NGC, not the poster whom you quoted above and to whom you just replied.

ON HORSEBACK>>IN BAGShttp://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s421/pauliswilling/1880-S%20morgan%20rip%20off%20GRADE/1880-sssssssssssssssss001.jpg by the way when you look at the pictures if you click on the picture it will get bigger.

PCGS, Genuine, UNC Details, Cleaned, 92.

FYI, if you're going to post pics of a slabbed coin and do a guess the grade, cover up the cert.# as well.

Anyone can trace the # 26430325 on PCGS's website and get the label info.

And the first part of the #, 7118.92 tells a lot as well. The 92 is PCGS's code for Cleaned.

If there are a number 1-70 after the 7118, that would be the numerical grade, as in your 1903, 7284.64, the 64 is the numerical grade, so that one is a MS64.

Thats okay,you all got the point

You say that every coin you send in gets a lower grade then what you would grade it . You just summed it up – you don’t know how to grade.

You say you got kicked off the PCGS forum because you spoke the truth – no you got kicked off that forum because you did the same thing there you are doing here. Instead of arguing with us why don’t you listen and learn – you really need too.

ON HORSEBACK>>IN BAGShttp://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s421/pauliswilling/1880-S%20morgan%20rip%20off%20GRADE/1880-sssssssssssssssss001.jpg by the way when you look at the pictures if you click on the picture it will get bigger.

PCGS, Genuine, UNC Details, Cleaned, 92.

FYI, if you're going to post pics of a slabbed coin and do a guess the grade, cover up the cert.# as well.

Anyone can trace the # 26430325 on PCGS's website and get the label info.

And the first part of the #, 7118.92 tells a lot as well. The 92 is PCGS's code for Cleaned.

If there are a number 1-70 after the 7118, that would be the numerical grade, as in your 1903, 7284.64, the 64 is the numerical grade, so that one is a MS64.

when you go to guess the grade,look at the coin..dont punch in the cert number.

You say that every coin you send in gets a lower grade then what you would grade it . You just summed it up – you don’t know how to grade.

You say you got kicked off the PCGS forum because you spoke the truth – no you got kicked off that forum because you did the same thing there you are doing here. Instead of arguing with us why don’t you listen and learn – you really need too.

Any coin the will be worth in the thousands instead of the hundreds because of the grade step up-YES because they dont want to risk having to pay for the grade if their wrong...which is understandable,they are a business,but it effects us with the coins that deserve the grade as well.

Any coin the will be worth in the thousands instead of the hundreds because of the grade step up-YES because they dont want to risk having to pay for the grade if their wrong...which is understandable,they are a business,but it effects us with the coins that deserve the grade as well.

So in other words what you are telling us is for every coin you send in, the TPG will under grade by at least one point because they don’t want to take the risk of paying their guarantee for an over graded coin ?? You are clueless and totally delusional. You are better off conjuring up more stories about coins bouncing around on horse back. Maybe you should suggest this to the TGS and call it the coins in a bag on horseback effect.

So in other words what you are telling us is for every coin you send in, the TPG will under grade by at least one point because they don’t want to take the risk of paying their guarantee for an over graded coin ?? You are clueless and totally delusional. You are better off conjuring up more stories about coins bouncing around on horse back. Maybe you should suggest this to the TGS and call it the coins in a bag on horseback effect.

Yes,I am delusional...have you ever talked to you LCS about this and got their opinion on it.

He's not delusional. It makes perfect sense that, in order to protect themselves, the grading companies would purposely under-grade lower value coins, like the ones he has posted. And at the same time, award very high grades to much more valuable coins, as they have done on countless occasions. ;) .

He's not delusional. It makes perfect sense that, in order to protect themselves, the grading companies would purposely under-grade lower value coins, like the ones he has posted. And at the same time, award very high grades to much more valuable coins, as they have done on countless occasions. ;) .

I wasnt talking about the coin I posted

Mark I don’t think this guy will understand your sarcasm. :cry:

It seems to me maybe the OP should maybe take a step back and try and figure out what it is you are trying to do. Are you trying to COLLECT coins or are you trying to gamble on making a big find buying raw and sending in for grading?

You have to ask yourself if a coin is still raw but looks like an MS65 1890P Morgan then why didn't the guy who has it send it in?

If you like the coin then buy it and put it in your collection.

If you want an MS65 1890P Morgan then just buy one already slabbed.

It is obvious from your posts you don't know how to grade to the standards of the 2 most respected grading companies, which is why they CAN offer guarantees.

I've fallen victim to the same trap thinking I found an "undiscovered treasure" when in reality it is something else.

If you want to be happy in life, I suggest sending all of your coins to SEGS. Maybe then you will get what you want. ;)

The first coin you posted was an 1880-S Morgan, one of the most available dates in high grade of the entire series. So, what's so special about yours? Answer: NOTHING! Or, maybe it's special because it's polished and thus unique? hm

lol

Okay here is a perfect example;

http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s421/pauliswilling/1873%20closed%203/1873closed3333333333002.jpg

http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s421/pauliswilling/1873%20closed%203/1873closed3333333333001.jpg

Tell me the grade of this one

If you want to be happy in life, I suggest sending all of your coins to SEGS. Maybe then you will get what you want. ;)

The first coin you posted was an 1880-S Morgan, one of the most available dates in high grade of the entire series. So, what's so special about yours? Answer: NOTHING! Or, maybe it's special because it's polished and thus unique? hm

lol

Wow,your pretty slick,why dont you take youself over to where the guy posted his IHC and check out my whole collection if you think I just deal with petty coins.I realise the coins not worth alot but when I send in a large group of coins I want fair grades.

lol

Wow,your pretty slick,why dont you take youself over to where the guy posted his IHC and check out my whole collection if you think I just deal with petty coins.I realise the coins not worth alot but when I send in a large group of coins I want fair grades.

Happy in life?? Haha..you know nothing about me

It seems to me maybe the OP should maybe take a step back and try and figure out what it is you are trying to do. Are you trying to COLLECT coins or are you trying to gamble on making a big find buying raw and sending in for grading?

You have to ask yourself if a coin is still raw but looks like an MS65 1890P Morgan then why didn't the guy who has it send it in?

If you like the coin then buy it and put it in your collection.

If you want an MS65 1890P Morgan then just buy one already slabbed.

It is obvious from your posts you don't know how to grade to the standards of the 2 most respected grading companies, which is why they CAN offer guarantees.

I've fallen victim to the same trap thinking I found an "undiscovered treasure" when in reality it is something else.

Ok look,these were a group of 20 that were sent out to pcgs,this was the worst grade i got..I just dont like not getting a fair shake the 1st time. Now I still have 100 out with Anacs..who is probably who honestly ill start using,because they grade varietys,the other 2 dont have time for it.I am also waiting for 3 expedited through NGC

http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s421/pauliswilling/1873%20closed%203/1873closed3333333333002.jpg

http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s421/pauliswilling/1873%20closed%203/1873closed3333333333001.jpg

Based on the image I could see, my guess would be artificial color.

Based on the image I could see, my guess would be artificial color.

You were close,its a 1873 ms 64 rb closed 3