• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PLEASE GUESS THE GRADE OF THIS 1880-S MORGAN DOLLAR THAT WAS BROUGHT TO THE MINT

87 posts in this topic

ON HORSEBACK>>IN BAGShttp://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s421/pauliswilling/1880-S%20morgan%20rip%20off%20GRADE/1880-sssssssssssssssss001.jpg by the way when you look at the pictures if you click on the picture it will get bigger.

Just got done brushing my teeth and shaving in the coin as well,since I finally got it back.Ill give you a hint.When I saw the coin it was one of the nicest ive seen in a very very long time...I thought it would 66 minimum.I payed a hefty sum for the coin.

I didnt bring it to the mint.The title read; Please guess the grade of this coin that came to(and should have said from)the mint on horseback in bags(meaning they are bouncing around in the bags back and forth back and forth) which I dont think the graders think about when they grade the coins.The fact they have been bounced around traveling in bags to go to banks,etc.then some handling even after that.

I totally disagree,If you look at that coin thats132 years old and you see a mirror coin that has a few hairline scratches(which could have occured while traveling in a bag on a horse coming from the mint)(they are only between the E and the P) you are going to penalize the 132 year old coin and grade it as bagable?(bagable meaning its worth melt)because it cant grade)Look at this coin and tell me if its a gradeable coin or a melt coin....I think its obvious at least to me.now when this was being graded,do you think they took the history of the coin in consideration or not?

Con't...Ive seen alot of graded coins in my time collecting,Ive seen alot of non gradeable coins and ive seen a whole lot of morgans slabbed and im going to tell you if you look at this coin(whether they call it cleaned) its one of the prettiest coins ive seen(the mirror surface has a slight haze but not serious depending which way it turns) to see a coin literally this beautiful( and you would have to see it in person to see what I mean) I guess my question is..do you think its feasable that when this coin traveled in a bank bag coming from the mint to the bank with all the other coins bouncing around on the horse saddle that it may have got a couple scratches,is that feasable? are they not supposed to take all this into consideration? Ive been to alot of show,ive seen coins graded ms 66 that looked alot worse than this/do you get my point?

Here are the rest of my pictures I took of the coin

http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s421/pauliswilling/1880-S%20morgan%20rip%20off%20GRADE/1880-sssssssssssssssss002.jpg

http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s421/pauliswilling/1880-S%20morgan%20rip%20off%20GRADE/1880-sssssssssssssssss001.jpg

http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s421/pauliswilling/1880-S%20morgan%20rip%20off%20GRADE/1880-sssssssssssssssss003.jpg

Tiz a beautiful 200 dollar coin I can bag after a professional opinion for 28 dollars! I'll make up the 172 dollars with a different coin I guess and now that its graded this way I should get frustrated and sell it to a dealer for 28 dollars/what do you think?

You don't appear to want opinions if they differ from yours.

But, my guess is that there is a problem with the coin, and that you are either not seeing it or not being objective about it.

Even if there is a problem, however, that doesn't mean the coin is worth only melt.

By the way, if there are scratches or handling marks on the coin, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference if they occurred while the coin was in a bag on the way to a bank, or at some other time, under different circumstances. And obviously, graders don't/can't typically know the entire history of coins they grade.

But, my guess is that there is a problem with the coin, and that you are either not seeing it or not being objective about it.

Even if there is a problem, however, that doesn't mean the coin is worth only melt.

By the way, if there are scratches or handling marks on the coin, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference if they occurred while the coin was in a bag on the way to a bank, or at some other time, under different circumstances. And obviously, graders don't/can't typically know the entire history of coins they grade.

C

Really? You dont think they overlook bagmarks?If they overlook bagmarks,overlook 4 scratchesbetween the E and the P. I sent out 20 coins with PCGS the lowest grade of the bunch was a 62..I sold a few to my LCS(who I know well)and asked what they would give me for this(just to see what he would say) and he told me 28 dollars.So,Please tell me when A coin gets graded like where I get more besides breaking it out and resubing....?(which is what ill do with this but now im waiting months for a proper grade.

C

Really? You dont think they overlook bagmarks?If they overlook bagmarks,overlook 4 scratchesbetween the E and the P. I sent out 20 coins with PCGS the lowest grade of the bunch was a 62..I sold a few to my LCS(who I know well)and asked what they would give me for this(just to see what he would say) and he told me 28 dollars.So,Please tell me when A coin gets graded like where I get more besides breaking it out and resubing....?(which is what ill do with this but now im waiting months for a proper grade.

I didn't say anything about not over-looking bag-marks. I graded at NGC for 7 years.

If the coin you mentioned above is truly worthy of a grade higher than 62, someone will pay you more than $28 for it. Or have you determined that the first offer you receive for a coin is all you can get for it?

I'm confused. The picture you linked to clearly shows the coin has the .92 code of "harsh cleaning or polishing". So, what am I supposed to be guessing?

I agree with others, given the poor quality of the images linked, there is no way we can guess a grade or even tell whether the PCGS assigned code of .92 was merited.

Sorry.

What is up with you and the bouncing bag of coins on horse back. ?

As Mark said graders don’t care about that.

PCGS said it was cleaned - Upper left reverse there appears to be some dip residue. I also see some noise in the middle right reverse next to the Eagles wing. It is not possible to tell from your photos that the coin was cleaned but I am not one to argue with PCGS on a coin I never saw in hand. With that said based only on the photo I would not have thought the coin was cleaned.

I'm confused. The picture you linked to clearly shows the coin has the .92 code of "harsh cleaning or polishing". So, what am I supposed to be guessing?

I agree with others, given the poor quality of the images linked, there is no way we can guess a grade or even tell whether the PCGS assigned code of .92 was merited.

Sorry.

Makes perfect sense – the reflective fields in the photo are from a polish.

That noise I mentioned in in the left reverse field most likely is a result of that . Coin was most likely polished and dipped.

That noise I mentioned in in the left reverse field most likely is a result of that . Coin was most likely polished and dipped.

I'm was commenting that his original post didn't make sense. TO post a coin in the "guess the grade" section while not covering up the grade on the holder is kind of silly.

I'm was commenting that his original post didn't make sense. TO post a coin in the "guess the grade" section while not covering up the grade on the holder is kind of silly.

Ok I see - he did not cover up the code :grin:

okay,without looking up the code because your supposed to try to guess the grade,how about this 1903 P morgan?(I imagine these pics will be hard to judge by also)

Next post for the pictures...............

It is often difficult to provide meaningful grade guesses, based upon (even) excellent images. And the ones you have posted have been far from excellent.

Still, the last one was good enough to show the PCGS grade. And, based on what I can see, it looks accurate to me.

You can second guess the grading companies all you want, but it's unlikely to do you any good. You would be better served if you would be open to the possibility that you, rather than they, have plenty to learn about grading.

I agree with the grade.

It is VERY difficult to grade from those pictures. I have found the best way to get an accurate picture is to take it straight on...no angles. Several lighting sources from the natural light bulbs, and macro setting on your camera.

C

I didn't say anything about not over-looking bag-marks. I graded at NGC for 7 years.

If the coin you mentioned above is truly worthy of a grade higher than 62, someone will pay you more than $28 for it. Or have you determined that the first offer you receive for a coin is all you can get for it?

You know what..that my point entirely.You have a coin thats worth alot of money and Joe Blow gets it graded and it comes back like this.He gets frustrated and he sells in to the big coin guy who does a little dip on it(or is buddys with a grader) and gets it graded.Thats fair to Joe.If I remember correctly,The coin should be in its original state to be considered the highest gradeable coin but people dip all the time and the grades come back 1 to 2 grades higher.Then if you have some pvc on the coin(that the coin shop sold you by the way)and after trying to protect the coin for years some contamants come off the plastic onto the coin.Joe Blow sends his original coin in and low and behold!!!!his coin gets graded corrosion or altered color but honestly the coin IS in its original state but doesnt get graded until its dipped(but Joe doesnt know that so he sells the coin for next to nothing) and now we come to this coin,the one with a few scratches(we dont take in consideration the coins moving back and forth on horses) HA ,well how do you think all these coins got from the mint to everywhere they were brought to back in 1880?It sure wasnt wrapped in plastic after minting and driven b y car carefully home to put in your drawer.So you only grade coins that made it safetly I presume?

It is often difficult to provide meaningful grade guesses, based upon (even) excellent images. And the ones you have posted have been far from excellent.

Still, the last one was good enough to show the PCGS grade. And, based on what I can see, it looks accurate to me.

You can second guess the grading companies all you want, but it's unlikely to do you any good. You would be better served if you would be open to the possibility that you, rather than they, have plenty to learn about grading.

would you prefer for me to scan them? Mail the coin to you posibly so you can get the full effect?