How did we miss this? UPDATE after conservation

27 posts in this topic

3,303 posts

I bought this from a former NGC grader at a show a few weeks ago, I got the dreaded news yesterday, XF details, environmental damage.

This is the Bust half coin:

GafQ6.jpg

cynB0.jpg

Darkly toned, yes. But I was surprised by the environmental damage issue. Looking closer, I think I see what NGC had a problem with. Any opinions?

Edited by Nutmeg Coin

1,272 posts

The dark toning has probably etched itself into the metal like light corrosion.

I once posted a 17-d half dollar that was detailed for far less. It also eventually made it into a problem free holder.

1,205 posts

PCGS, and NGC (I assume), consider black toned coins environmentally damaged.

Lance.

2,684 posts

I avoid coins with too dark of a color

4,870 posts

This coin is in NEED of dipping----you will RARELY, if ever, here me say that but it is on the verge of permanent damage do to corrosion, if not already.

2,905 posts

Was this sold under the impression that it was not ED ??

It is pretty obvious from the photo that the coin has issues.

6,960 posts

Next time ask here on the Brother can you spare a grade section. I think you would have been told not to waste your time or money on grading it. I believe the seller knew well what that he was getting rid of a problem coin.

11,432 posts

The coin looks to be corroded and not just toned. Dipping will not help a piece when it is at this stage.

5,211 posts
I avoid coins with too dark of a color
i do as well. what a bummer to see that on a slab ( i wonder if ncg can do anything with that, just wondering is all ) Edited by johnny9434

4,871 posts
I bought this from a former NGC grader at a show a few weeks ago, I got the dreaded news yesterday, XF details, environmental damage.

This is the Bust half coin:

GafQ6.jpg

cynB0.jpg

Darkly toned, yes. But I was surprised by the environmental damage issue. Looking closer, I think I see what NGC had a problem with. Any opinions?

When patina is this heavy, there is no way to tell what is going on with the underlying surfaces, and the services have to err on the side of caution.Sometimes they are not etched, and will grade problem free when some of this layer is removed through conservation.

2,084 posts
The coin looks to be corroded and not just toned. Dipping will not help a piece when it is at this stage.

THIS PIECE may or may not be corroded.

but i've seen NGC sometimes automatically call a dark-toned coin "environmental damage", even when i couldn't see any actual problems.

in one instance i sent in a peace dollar that was rainbow toned but the near the rims turned black - i actually liked it. NGC called it "ENVIROMENTAL DAMAGE". i crossed it over to a pcgs MS62.

Edited by yonico

14,800 posts

Yes, the dark toning has progressed to the point where I would now consider it damage. That is unfortunate, but clearly evident from the pics.

2,684 posts

Will dipping a coin at this state make it bright white or no use???

14,800 posts

It'll make it bright white. It will also leave behind granular eroded surfaces. Dipping it will make it even uglier than it already is. Unfortunately, at this point there is no helping this coin.

4,163 posts

When a coin gets this dark, it can't be helped. By the time a dip makes it white again the coin will look like a washed out piece of stuff.

3,303 posts

NCS was able to conserve and judging from the NGC verification image it dipped out nicely with good luster. New cert. #: 3689427-001.

It graded XF45.

1,045 posts

Just goes to show how difficult it really is to grade from a pic

4,871 posts
When a coin gets this dark, it can't be helped. By the time a dip makes it white again the coin will look like a washed out piece of stuff.

This really depends on how much of the problem is built-up residue and how much is actual oxidation. Heavy residues will protect the underlying surfaces, in many cases.

Dipping would be the last option for a coin like this. It would be a much better idea to conserve the coin to remove the heavy contamination and loose oxidized metal and see how the surfaces have been preserved below.

This coin seems to have come out very nicely. It's hard to tell if they used dip, as there are a couple dark swaths on the reverse. I would be surprised they did not label it stained, if they had used dip and those areas remained dark.

2,543 posts

I thought I saw some pitting on the original coin, but could be wrong or just struck with rusted die, which would look similar.

I can't wait until you get it back for after pics.

link to NGC pics

Edited by e1cnr