• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How did we miss this? UPDATE after conservation

27 posts in this topic

I bought this from a former NGC grader at a show a few weeks ago, I got the dreaded news yesterday, XF details, environmental damage.

This is the Bust half coin:

GafQ6.jpg

cynB0.jpg

Darkly toned, yes. But I was surprised by the environmental damage issue. Looking closer, I think I see what NGC had a problem with. Any opinions?

The dark toning has probably etched itself into the metal like light corrosion.

I once posted a 17-d half dollar that was detailed for far less. It also eventually made it into a problem free holder.

Next time ask here on the Brother can you spare a grade section. I think you would have been told not to waste your time or money on grading it. I believe the seller knew well what that he was getting rid of a problem coin.

I bought this from a former NGC grader at a show a few weeks ago, I got the dreaded news yesterday, XF details, environmental damage.

This is the Bust half coin:

GafQ6.jpg

cynB0.jpg

Darkly toned, yes. But I was surprised by the environmental damage issue. Looking closer, I think I see what NGC had a problem with. Any opinions?

When patina is this heavy, there is no way to tell what is going on with the underlying surfaces, and the services have to err on the side of caution.Sometimes they are not etched, and will grade problem free when some of this layer is removed through conservation.

The coin looks to be corroded and not just toned. Dipping will not help a piece when it is at this stage.

THIS PIECE may or may not be corroded.

but i've seen NGC sometimes automatically call a dark-toned coin "environmental damage", even when i couldn't see any actual problems.

in one instance i sent in a peace dollar that was rainbow toned but the near the rims turned black - i actually liked it. NGC called it "ENVIROMENTAL DAMAGE". i crossed it over to a pcgs MS62.

It'll make it bright white. It will also leave behind granular eroded surfaces. Dipping it will make it even uglier than it already is. Unfortunately, at this point there is no helping this coin.

When a coin gets this dark, it can't be helped. By the time a dip makes it white again the coin will look like a washed out piece of stuff.

When a coin gets this dark, it can't be helped. By the time a dip makes it white again the coin will look like a washed out piece of stuff.

This really depends on how much of the problem is built-up residue and how much is actual oxidation. Heavy residues will protect the underlying surfaces, in many cases.

Dipping would be the last option for a coin like this. It would be a much better idea to conserve the coin to remove the heavy contamination and loose oxidized metal and see how the surfaces have been preserved below.

This coin seems to have come out very nicely. It's hard to tell if they used dip, as there are a couple dark swaths on the reverse. I would be surprised they did not label it stained, if they had used dip and those areas remained dark.