• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's Unc, but it's no 4 IMO........

14 posts in this topic

I must agree with the OP----The two prominent reeding marks, along with the wispy abrasions, all over the cheek, definitely, keep this Peace $ at MS 63 or below. IMHO. The reverse has numerous, scattered abrasions, as well. I don't like this coin and I wouldn't even want it for MS 63 money. IMHO.

At MS-64 the coin is over graded by one point. The scratch on the cheek and the obvious reed mark on Ms. Liberty's face preclude any grade higher than MS-63. The reverse also has enough scrapes to keep it in the MS-63 category.

This might be an example of bulk grading. For those who are no familiar, dealers send in large numbers of coins, often in roll quantity to have the coins graded at a reduced rate. I've seen some very lose grading on common date coins like this that normally would not have been certified because of their fairly low value.

Here is a Peace dollar in an MS-64 holder that should be in an MS-65 holder.

1923DollarO.jpg1923DollarR.jpg

How is the luster? If it is as frosty and flashy as I think, I can see why PCGS gave it a 64. Even with Mohammad Ali hit to the cheek!

This luster business can be overrated. The severity of the marks trump the luster in this case. Lax grading like this keeps CAC in business.

Let's put it this way. The Gray Sheet bid prices for the 1922 Peace dollar jumps from $37 in MS-63 to $42 in MS-64. If you overpay by that amount, you are not shafted.

BUT if this were a 1934-S Peace dollar which has a price that jumps from $1,550 to $2,630 from '63 to '64, would YOU buy this coin as an MS-64? You won't if you knew how to grade coins, and I'll bet you that if this were a 1934-S, PCGS would not have put it in an MS-64 holder.

Thats why I dont use pcgs...too many 3's in 4 holders and vice versa and every coin that gives a big money boost the next grade up will always be conservative to protect them even if you have the coin that fits the bill!

64 might be right if the luster is strong but i wouldn't pay 64 money for it, as all the serious hits are exactly when i don't want them:

cheek, neck, eagle's head, eagle's mid-body.