• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will it go 65?

31 posts in this topic

It is a SOLID 64+ without question. I think that it has a very GOOD chance at 65. The color and strike are great and those obv. cheeks pretty darned clean. If I was a betting man, I WOULDN'T bet against it receiving a MS 65 nod. IMHO. I think it has a great chance.

As always, judging on the pics. I like the clean Obverse fields and the absence of any hits in focal areas on the Obverse. The few small tics on the Reverse are not that distracting. The toning is appealing. 1880-S is known for a sharp bold strike. No way to judge luster from the pics. But overall the strike on the Obverse and Reverse is not as sharp as I have seen on other MS65 examples.

Very nice Morgan.

MS64+ for the toning.

Carl

No matter what they grade it, that is a VERY attractive coin. I really like the toning. May not be for everyone, but I'd be proud to own that coin! (thumbs u

I grade 65 but NGC and PCGS always undergrade common dates.

Wow, I must disagree with that vehemently.

Always undergrade? Not even close. Usually undergrade? Not even close. Frequently undergrade? No. Sometimes undergrade? Yes, of course.

Always undergrade? Not even close. Usually undergrade? Not even close. Frequently undergrade? No. Sometimes undergrade? Yes, of course.

(: Yeah just sometimes but “Always” is more Dramatic.

I much prefer fairness and accuracy to "dramatic".

I much prefer fairness and accuracy to "dramatic".

I agree with that statement Mark, you do prefer fairness and accuracy to dramatic having called me out on it a few times, haha. Thanks for keeping me honest

If an 80-S has dead luster, it's not going to get graded 65. The large, scuffy patch on the left reverse between the wreath and wing might also keep it out of a 65 holder.

I say no, send it to me...(sarcasm)

Seriously it looks clean enough for 65 to me and nice picture taking. I like that album toning appearance as well so for me it's triple nice (thumbs u