• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will NGC slab it?

23 posts in this topic

I know PCGS won't. I believe ANACS will. Bought it a couple of years ago and now want it in a top 2 TPG slab for authenticity purposes. All I know it's 62.1 grams of .999 silver, found a number online of 170 struck is this correct? Anyone know when they were struck? Found a couple dates, early 90's and 1999. Any info would be appreciated, doesn't seem to be much online.

Scott

cancelled1884cc1.jpg

Scott, I think I remember seeing something about someone watching as they struck these at the CC museum on the actual press that they used? Dang, I wish I remember where I read that. Anyhow, I thought they were pretty much for bullion value plus. It wasn't like these were selling for $100 when struck or anything.

And again, I don't believe the dies were worn, I believe they are pitted because they were dug up from behind the old mint.

<<And again, I don't believe the dies were worn, I believe they are pitted because they were dug up from behind the old mint.>>

That would explain the pitted look. I browsed around the CC Mint museum site and couldn't find any info. I'm gonna call sometime this week. Will NGC slab it? Maybe?

here ya go...........................................................

http://www.uspatterns.com/1884ccobverse.html

The Nevada City Mint was (is?) located in Nevada City, California. It was operated by Don and Kenneth Schmitz. The Schmitz’s contracted with the Nevada State Museum to strike medals on the Carson City Mint press, (which was revamped in the shops of the Virginia & Truckee R.R. in 1878). They also made up silver ingots and other souvenirs for the State Museum. In September 1997 they restruck silver dollars from cancelled dies. They struck uniface copies, both obverse (1884) and reverse on 1 oz. planchets. For a restrike using both dies, obverse and reverse, a 2 oz. planchet was used. I was told that they were struck on a hydraulic press in Nevada City because of the fear of breaking the old cancelled dies. After striking, the dies were returned to the Museum, supposedly, never to be used again. The number of items returned to the Museum for sale by the Museum according to their staff were as follows: 25 sets of the 1 oz. and 2 oz. pieces; 100 pieces from the reverse dies which were made into money clips. The uniface pieces were sold for $30.00 each and the 2 oz. piece sold for $60.00.

The California Numismatist, Summer 2005

Nevada City Mint. The Nevada City

Mint was (is?) located in Nevada City,

California. It was operated by Don

and Kenneth Schmitz. The Schmitz’s

contracted with the Nevada State

Museum to strike

medals on the Carson

City Mint press, (which was revamped

in the shops of the Virginia & Truckee

R.R. in 1878). They also made up

silver ingots and other souvenirs for the

State Museum. In September 1997 they

restruck silver dollars from cancelled

dies. They struck uniface copies, both

obverse (1884) and reverse on 1 oz.

planchets. For a restrike using both

dies, obverse and reverse, a 2 oz. planchet

was used. I was told that they were

struck on a hydraulic press in Nevada

City because of the fear of breaking

the old cancelled dies. After striking,

the dies were returned to the Museum,

supposedly, never to be used again. The

number of items returned to the Museum

for sale by the Museum according

to their staff were as follows: 25 sets of

the 1 oz. and 2 oz. pieces; 100 pieces

from the reverse dies which were made

into money clips. The uniface pieces

were sold for $30.00 each and the 2 oz.

piece sold for $60.00

The CC looks way off

It's fine. The dies are were cancelled and then aged (i.e., corroded) for over 100 years before being used again to make these. The reverse die is an 1878-CC die. I would bet NGC would slab it as what it is -- a restrike from cancelled dies. It's going to have to go in a pretty big holder, though.

• Administrator

There are also uniface strikings in copper as well. I'm not sure how many of them were made.

However, this unfortunately is not something we will encapsulate. Sorry!

-Paul

<<However, this unfortunately is not something we will encapsulate. Sorry!>>

That's a bummer. Went to a small show and several said it was faked, man I hate that word, especially when it's directed at me. That's why I want it authenticated.

There are also uniface strikings in copper as well. I'm not sure how many of them were made.

-Paul

Why not?

• Administrator

-Paul

Why not?

Because it's not a mint-issued item.

-Paul

<<Because it's not a mint-issued item.>>

Neither are these, which is why I was confident, hoping and praying that NGC would slab it, seeing they have encapsulated private strikings in the past. It's not a biggie, just a little disappointed that original cancelled dies were used to strike CC Morgans and I can't get it into a top TPG. Now I'm stuck with going the ANACS ICG route.

16b80_George_T_Morgan_Silver_obv.jpg

W222105_3.jpg

W225900_3.jpg

-Paul

Why not?

Because it's not a mint-issued item.

-Paul

Doesn't NGC grade tokens, California fractional gold, ancients, etc? Doesn't NGC slab the 1804 and 1823 so called unofficial large cent restrikes which were privately struck using discarded dies?

• Administrator

The tokens seen above that were encapsulated by NGC were designs that were produced under licenses from the Smithsonian and submitted in bulk directly from the manufacturer.

In this case, the tokens were in fact struck from transfer dies, not the genuine mint dies that were unearthed. These pieces are simply outside the realm of what we will holder.

We must use our discretion to decide which tokens and medals to allow in submissions so as to provide consistent, high quality grading standards.

If you'd like to see what tokens and medals that we will encapsulate, please see this page.

I hope this helped clear things up.

-Paul

What about the 1804 and 1823 so-called restrike cents that were privately struck using discarded dies? The coin being discussed in this thread is no different other than the dies were cancelled. Obviously, NGC can slab whatever they wish. I'm just trying to understand why a coin struck from a U.S. mint die can't be slabbed but any number of privately issued tokens and medals can be slabbed. Is there any chance that someday NGC may slab these coins?