• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New server, new registry

47 posts in this topic

• Administrator

We've made a switch to a new server for collectors-society.com, and also put up a new version of the registry that offers some neat new features. Hopefully it will be a smooth easy transition, but there could be some minor issues that come up that you guys notice before we do. If you spot anything incorrect or unusual, please let me know.

Thanks,

Arch

S-l-o-w as paste and incorrect translation of punctuation. Still no icons for registry awards, etc.

Hoot

• Administrator

We're looking at a few things that need to be optimized to speed up the pages.

I've tried adding a few coins to the registry a couple of times and have had no reply from NGC. Perhaps this feature is not working properly.

Hoot

• Administrator

Hey Hoot,

It seems like we've got a fair number of people submitting coins successfully:

http://209.25.183.37/registry/coins/recent_sets.asp

Per the recent updates page.

Can you be more specific on the details of the problem you're having?

Regards,

Arch

I've tried entering coins for my buffalo nickel set of 1913-38 and also my Jefferson nickel set of 1938-64 set. In both cases, I tried yesterday and the day before and both time had the reply that they were successfully entered. Yet, I've received no reply from NGC nor have they shown up. I have been using the "edit set" function from the view of the sets themselves.

Hoot

Could you provide some further details regarding the coins that you tried to enter (ie Cert Num, year, etc)? If you prefer not to disclose that info on the forum you can send it to me privately. This info will help in solving this problem.

1913 T1 buffalo nickel, MS67 PCGS cert. # 21387584

1913-S T2 buffalo nickel, MS66 NGC cert. # 2502390-001

1940 Jeff nickel, MS66 6FS NGC cert. # 2502198-001

1940-S Jeff nickel, MS66 6FS NGC cert. # 2502198-002

1959 Jeff nickel, MS64 6FS NGC cert. # 2502198-003

Hoot

Could you try adding those coins again and let me know exactly what results you get from adding them. Other members have been adding coins without a problem since the switch over. Having the details of the results will help me trouble shoot this better.

Thanks

Warfare - I've tried this twice using the function from "edit set." Like I said, everything looks normal, as I get the reply "Your coins have been batched for processing," or some such thing. I think I'll try another method, i.e., through the Add/Manage Sets drop down menu. I'll try that right now.

Hoot

For my buffalo nickels:

This yielded a very different process and result. I was directed to a new screen that had the change for the NGC coin instantly, and also had a function for filling in the grade on the PCGS coin, then submitting it.

The added step of a new screen where the grade for the PCGS coin is filled in seems very awkward. Why not simply have the field (as before) where the grade is entered? The fewer steps, the better.

Hoot

For my Jefferson nickels, I received the following error:

Failed to lookup cert at ProIV. - please see below for more details about this error. 893frustrated.gif

Hoot

I've also noted that the number of "views" on each set has changed dramatically (reset to zero).

Any chance the old server/system can be put back on line? wink.gif

Hoot

• Administrator

Don't be mean, Hoot. You will love the new stuff. Or Rocco breaks your kneecaps.

stooges.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

Don't be mean, Hoot. You will love the new stuff. Or Rocco breaks your kneecaps.

stooges.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

How can you sound like the Godfather on a coin forum? I know, I know, "yas know where I live." I'm prepared sumo.gif!

Hoot

Okay, I just got my emails from NGC for the coins I tried to add. The buffalo nickels went fine. The net score change on my set is "0" according to the registry, and that's not true (net change of 1000+ points), but that's also a minor point.

On the three Jefferson nickels I tried to add, I got the following email:

Hi, Hoot

We have added your 5C - 1940 6FS Coin with certification number 2502198-001 to the Coins Registry.

We were unable to attach this Coin to your set. Perhaps the Coin is not allowed in the slot you selected.

You can log in at collectors-society.com to view your Coin.

Thanks for registering your collectables with the Collectors' Society Registry!

Pretty funky that the coin was added to the registry but they were unable to "attach it" to the set! 893frustrated.gif The other nickels were those listed in the post above (1940-S and 1959). So, nothing has changed with that set. I have coins to add to my Jefferson nickels of 1938-present set as well, but won't bother trying until this is fixed. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hoot

Good thing you're having all these problems, Hoot, or this forum would have no drama! wink.gifsmile.gif

Do you think if I say, sumo.gif"if it ain't broke don't fix it." Arch'll get mad at me and send Rocco down my way to break-a my knee caps? 893whatthe.gifinsane.gifsumo.gif

Ducking for cover and tip-toeing away...

Hoot

• Administrator

Actually, there are some very nice things about this new version, including a structural change on the back end that will allow the creation of extensive variety sets, scoring variety coins one way for variety sets, and another way when allowed in regular sets. The instant addition of coins is pretty cool, I think. NGC coins are looked up and instantly approved, and PCGS coins are added in an unverified state until they're approved. We've also made the addition of coins to sets much easier by eliminating some of the clicks from the process. All good stuff, I'd say.

Sorry Arch, I'll take back my complaints and leave my comments to the broken stuff. sorry.gif

But I don't think the method for entering new coins is as easy or intuitive. Just MHO. It wouldn't be the first time I was at odds with the world. insane.gif And still, the new Jeffersons that I tried to enter are not entered. They are NGC coins, but newly graded, so perhaps their cert #s are not yet in the lookup table for verification? An interesting thing about those coins - they and some others are part of an order that is "stuck" in Quality Control status when i look up the order. Thisnk that has anything to do with it?

And what's up with the mistranslation of punctuation in set and coin descriptions? Seems like that should be a simple programming issue, but I'm a biologist, so what do I know? confused-smiley-013.gif

Don't hate me Arch. tonofbricks.gif

Hoot

Hoot,

Don’t feel bad. You’re not alone. I have also noticed the problem with the mistranslation of punctuation in the set and coin descriptions, as well as the number of views being reset to zero.

I have not tried to add any new coin to my sets since this upgrade, so I can’t comment on that aspect of your dilemma, but as for the mistranslation of punctuation in set and coin descriptions I noticed that if you go to edit the descriptions, when the box comes up for you to write your description, the information that is in there already is correct. I just saved the same info and the problem went away. confused-smiley-013.gif

This is a big pain though when if have to do it for a couple of hundred coin descriptions! 893frustrated.gif

P.S. Arch, when I send a PM it is not being saved in the sent PM’s list in my home. Can you help a fella out with this?

John