• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are the Peacock Ikes considered NT?

37 posts in this topic

Any update on opinions now that Ikes are getting beaned?

EDIT: The coin below was sold as a Peacock Ike by the seller but it is not one. Thanks to everyone for this thread. I now know what Peacock Ike's do look like. That being said, it's nice to see a beaned Ike with strong color.

US-Mint_1974-S_S1D_PCGS-24904820-MS67-CAC_800x400.jpg

Did you just change the question? I think you did.

Anyway, I can answer this one. You've got everything on that slab but a Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval. If that's not enough for the tarnish market to accept that coin, I don't know what is. I'm not trying to be abrupt with you, I'm rather giving you the bottom line. My opinion doesn't count for anything, anyway. I think the terms NT and AT are arbitrary and bogus, but so what? What counts is that slab and those stickers, and you got that. Ergo, that coin is good-to-go for that tarnish market.

US-Mint_1974-S_S1D_PCGS-24904820-MS67-CAC_800x400.jpg

With the TPGs it is NOT an issue of NT vs. AT. It is an issue of market acceptability. No more no less.

Whether the "Peacock" Ike's are actually NT is another matter altogether.....

jom

Don't know if Its the same, but a couple months back I bought some ikes at the store that were supposedly stored in a basement that was flooded (they were still in the cello packaging). I bought these as junk silver.

Some were ugly and had this green residue on them that made mr. Eisenhower look sick lol. But 2 or 3 of them were BEAUTIFULLY toned (mostly in red/purple/green) in an almost psychedelic pattern. one of them looked just like your Ike.

I've sold these to a collector, and he sent one Of them out to NGC and it was BB'd for AT.

I think he would have had better luck if he sent it in the mint packaging but I can't be 100% sure if they would grade it if he did.

I do like the OP's coin. Very much.

For clarification, the coin in the OP isn't mine. I posted it for discussion. I originally posted it because it is being described as a Peacock Hoard coin and many people have expressed opinions that those coins are not NT. However, after examining a number of Peacock Hoard coins, I'm coming to the conclusion that this coin has a substantially different look and may not actually be one.

@Kurtdog: I did change the question for the reason above. After my initial post, I no longer believe this coin is a Peacock Hoard coin as described. It does have a lot of good qualifications, but a few more seals of approval can be added, namely approval by the sniffer and Phil Arnold ;)

@zboyle04: This one is actually for sale at $1,850. It's not offered by me and, since the sale is live, I didn't want to post a link; however, you may be able to find it with a little searching.

With the TPGs it is NOT an issue of NT vs. AT. It is an issue of market acceptability. No more no less.

@jom: I agree and that's why I'm interested in JA's opinion on the matter. Now that Ike's are getting beaned, I wonder if JA has a stance on the Peacock Hoard coins.

@AnkurJ: I think the coin was a more interesting discussion piece when I believed it was a Peacock Hoard coin as described; however, I'm no longer of that persuasion.

@yonico: Good to hear on the NGC opinion.

For comparison, this is a James Sego Peacock Ike from the PCGS 2006 FUN Announcement

Ike-James_400.jpg

that is not a peacock toned coin

it does have great color

I no longer need to see coins before purchasing if it has CAC seal of approval, as they know more than me

edit to add, I accuse Mrs. Peacock of using a candlestick in the kitchen

that is not a peacock toned coin

@jom: I agree and that's why I'm interested in JA's opinion on the matter. Now that Ike's are getting beaned, I wonder if JA has a stance on the Peacock Hoard coins.

I agree with e1cnr. The reason is that I think (someone can step in and tell me if I'm wrong here) but the original Peacock hoard were PROOFS.

Whatever the case I know on good authority the hoard were "done" so to speak and I know who it was (although I haven't seen that particular person at a coin show in probably 15 years).

Obviously, if the hoard were proofs then the coin in the OP is not part of that hoard, JA wouldn't have a problem with it and the original seller is wrong about the origin.

jom

Whatever the case I know on good authority the hoard were "done" so to speak and I know who it was (although I haven't seen that particular person at a coin show in probably 15 years).

Thanks jom. I've heard that Bob Campbell (All About Coins in SLC and former ANA President) said they were AT at the 2008 ANA Summer Seminar.

Also, the PCGS 21979502 Peacock Ike in the TrueView above is no longer a valid cert number. Does anyone know if this coin is currently certified under another cert number or TPG?

it was in james set - no longer there picture is still on JMS website

to get the entire story, I suspect you would have to ask him, but as an authorized dealer, I suspect probably won't say much.

He does have some blue pack silvers in his set he is calling Peacocks

to get the entire story, I suspect you would have to ask him, but as an authorized dealer, I suspect probably won't say much.

Who is "James"? hm

jom

Thanks for the heads up. The 1971-D is actually in the logo for his website:

header2.jpg

I've seen quite a few of the Peacock Ikes, as well as a number of other toned Ikes. PCGS had a display of them at FUN one year, all in PCGS holders. I didn't like a single one of them, and wasn't convinced any of them were Naturally Toned.

That being said, a number of toned coin collectors whom I respect and have a great deal of knowledge accept the Peacocks as, at the minimum, market acceptable. You really have to make your own decision about these.

I've seen quite a few of the Peacock Ikes, as well as a number of other toned Ikes. PCGS had a display of them at FUN one year, all in PCGS holders. I didn't like a single one of them, and wasn't convinced any of them were Naturally Toned.

That being said, a number of toned coin collectors whom I respect and have a great deal of knowledge accept the Peacocks as, at the minimum, market acceptable. You really have to make your own decision about these.

Good to know physics-fan3.14. My view of market acceptable is that it's acceptable if the coin is considered questionable toning, however if a coin is known AT, it shouldn't really be considered market acceptable. But that's just me.

Let's try this hypothetical. There is a coin in a TPG slab. It turns out to be counterfeit. It's submitted to CAC and gets stickered. Does the coin magically become genuine?

i-want-to-believe.jpg

Let's try this hypothetical. There is a coin in a TPG slab. It turns out to be counterfeit. It's submitted to CAC and gets stickered. Does the coin magically become genuine?

It seems like they did have believers, at least a while back.

Does either NGC or ATS currently slab Peacock Ikes?

It seems like they did have believers, at least a while back.

Good question but it could be that most if not all of the hoard has already been slabbed. So the question might be moot at this point....

Then there is the definition of what exactly is a "peacock" Ike. It could just be a toned Ike dollar (possibly like the one in the OP) or the one I recently sold that had been in a Dansco. Does anyone really know?

jom

Good question but it could be that most if not all of the hoard has already been slabbed. So the question might be moot at this point....

It may matter if you may want to change the slab, e.g. get it graded under Secure Plus, cross to NGC, etc.

Then there is the definition of what exactly is a "peacock" Ike. It could just be a toned Ike dollar (possibly like the one in the OP) or the one I recently sold that had been in a Dansco. Does anyone really know?

This is an interesting question. The 1971-D MS67 in the TrueView apparently isn't considered a "Peacock Hoard" Ike or a "Peacock toned" Ike by the PCGS 2006 FUN announcement. James also makes the same delineation between Hoard and toned in his registry set.

Among the highlights of the PCGS exhibit of the Eisenhower dollars are: 1971-D MS67; 1972-D MS67; toned 1973-P “Peacock Hoard” MS66; 1973-D toned MS67; 1973-S MS69; 1974-P Peacock toned MS66; 1974-D MS67; 1976-D Type II Peacock toned MS67; 1977-D MS67; and 1978-P MS67.

Not really. There are always more being made new examples being discovered.

Not really. There are always more being made new examples being discovered.

If they are still being discovered/made why don't I see any of them? are they sold raw at shows?

asked earlier who is James? -> James Sego a dealer from ?near Chicago? that has one of the top IKE collections and one of the top dealers for IKES