• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm about tired of selling on ebay!!!!

45 posts in this topic

I know these threads have passed thru our forum many times but I haven't sold anything until lately. These fees from ebay and paypal seem rediculous to me.

My item sold like this:

Winning bid: $188.51

Shipping: $9.45

Total: $197.96

Now the extreme part of all this.

Shipping Final Value Fee: .85

Listing Final Value Fee: $16.97

Paypal Fee: $8.02

$25.84 in fees???????? This is rediculous. This may stop me from selling on ebay from now on!! Why charge fees on shipping? This don't even go in my pocket??

Thank you, Rant Over!!

I know these threads have passed thru our forum many times but I haven't sold anything until lately. These fees from ebay and paypal seem rediculous to me.

My item sold like this:

Winning bid: $188.51

Shipping: $9.45

Total: $197.96

Now the extreme part of all this.

Shipping Final Value Fee: .85

Listing Final Value Fee: $16.97

Paypal Fee: $8.02

$25.84 in fees???????? This is rediculous. This may stop me from selling on ebay from now on!! Why charge fees on shipping? This don't even go in my pocket??

Thank you, Rant Over!!

Ebay has been expensive for a VERY long time.

They are trying to get people to start offering free shipping. Last year they started adding the shipping charge onto the grand total and taking the final value fee from that. The breakdown of $16.97 and $.85 is just a courtesy, and a further attempt to pursuade you.

I see that side of it, but they have a policy against that. all they need to do is enforce it.

I could be wrong here, but I think generally Ebay does little policing themselves, they rely on the Ebay community to report violators and then Ebay will take action (hopefully). Fewer people would report excessive shipping, because on some level, many people will agree that Ebay's fees are too high, and will look the other way as long as the big corporation is getting the short end of the stick and not a "regular joe".

Ebay is just protecting their profits with this policy.

My understanding about charging fees on shipping is that they were tired of the sellers who would sell an item for $1 with $199 shipping and therefore avoid paying Ebay significant fees.

That is one of the reasons they wanted to discourage charging shipping.

I could almost understand the fees if they did any of the work. I had a listing pulled because I was selling an sgs coin and put that in the title. You can only put ngc, pcgs, anacs, or icg in the title. Anything else is a no no. So now ebay has decided the top tier grading companies. I personnally think the AMC (I think that is correct co harleys of the 70's were not up to par, but I bet you can list them on ebay. They want accurate listings but other slabs are to be treated as raw.

The fees amount to a much lower % of the sales, for items that are in higher price ranges. Selling lower priced items results in high% fees and might not be worth it.

Bobby, if you use a major auction house they charge 15%. Regardless whether you think that's a charge on you, it is. The buyer has to pay the fee, but don't think for one second they don't take into account the final value fees when purchasing an item. Ebay has just found a way to front load that to the seller. I know it is a pain, but that's why I like selling on the Marketplace and discounting about 10% right up front.

The fees amount to a much lower % of the sales, for items that are in higher price ranges. Selling lower priced items results in high% fees and might not be worth it.

I agree Mark. I don't sell much and surely no 4 digit items.

Bobby, if you use a major auction house they charge 15%. Regardless whether you think that's a charge on you, it is. The buyer has to pay the fee, but don't think for one second they don't take into account the final value fees when purchasing an item. Ebay has just found a way to front load that to the seller. I know it is a pain, but that's why I like selling on the Marketplace and discounting about 10% right up front.

I hear ya! This was a non numismatic item so I really didn't have much choice.

172 bucks might be enough to put some flames on the boat and have some beer money left over. I miss your bike

lol First is the stereo system then re-doing the seats. Gotta have some jams while I work on the boat. lol

The above is true. BUT, depending upon the consignment, under certain conditions sellers can get back a portion of that 15% buyer's premium. In other words, more than 100% of hammer, so they end up paying less than 15%.

Even with high fees you have to admit that Ebay is the ideal place for dreck. Even at a coin show sometimes you can't even give stuff away. On Ebay there is a buyer for everything. I'll gladly pay 20-25% when I have nonsense to sell. Further, if I sold dreck on the BST I would get a justifiably low price. On Ebay the final hammer will probably be at least 20-25% higher than I would get elsewhere.

Even with high fees you have to admit that Ebay is the ideal place for dreck. Even at a coin show sometimes you can't even give stuff away. On Ebay there is a buyer for everything. I'll gladly pay 20-25% when I have nonsense to sell. Further, if I sold dreck on the BST I would get a justifiably low price. On Ebay the final hammer will probably be at least 20-25% higher than I would get elsewhere.

Good point. The bottom line is what you actually net (after commission) for the items you sell. If one venue charges you a higher commission rate, but nets you more, that's preferable to another one which charges less, but also nets you less.

I happen to think that major auction houses, which offer in-hand lot viewing, tend to do better for consignors of especially nice/PQ coins. That's because bidders aren't nearly as likely to stretch (as much) on a sight unseen basis. But for other items, that look good in the images, and/or are more ordinary, sellers can do just fine on Ebay.

I have seen plenty of cases where major auction houses did not mention problems on certified coins.

Mark is right that seeing coins in person is the best way to weed them out.

Mark, I totally understand about some consignments getting some of the 15% back, but there are few people here who have the kind of interesting item that would bring enough interest to be one of those.

I'm sure those type of consignments bring the auction house some pretty decent bucks. What would you say a consignment has to be worth before they would accept terms like that? At least 25k? Probably even more.

Mark, I totally understand about some consignments getting some of the 15% back, but there are few people here who have the kind of interesting item that would bring enough interest to be one of those.

I'm sure those type of consignments bring the auction house some pretty decent bucks. What would you say a consignment has to be worth before they would accept terms like that? At least 25k? Probably even more.

I don't want to promote my consignment services publicly here, so will reply via PM later.

Your point is true. I still consider eBay's fees excessive given that the seller is doing all of the work. The coins I have sold in the past have not been high value by public auction standards, but they have been of high quality and many quite scarce. I have not sold anything recently but when I was doing a lot during 2009-2011, I started disposing most of my better coins through private sales with the only fee being Paypal. The downside is that you never know whether you could have realized a higher price.

Its still hit or miss, i have had listings up a week and not sell, relist it for another and it sells same day. No changes. Its just whether the right buyer sees it or not

Thanks mark

I've heard that the sweet spot for eBay sales is in the $500 to $1500 range. I have actually done any calculations but that seems about right.....

jom