• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My adventures with the "100 Greatest", part 3

3 posts in this topic

Farewell to the coin that started my "problem".

I used to be an "old coin" snob. Coin collecting to me was owning bits and pieces of history. I thought that the US Mint collector's products were a little bit of a cop out (for lack of better words). AND poor investments at that! Then one day in 2000 I got something in the mail advertising the latest mint offering, and this one caught my attention big time! it was b-imetallic and beautiful! The 2000 Library of Congress Commemerative $10 coin, platinum wraped in gold! Never mind that "how BORING" is the thought of a coin celebrating a library (Zzzzz) I had to have that coin! So, against my now ex wife's threats, I ordered the shiny proof for around $400. I thought "why would anybody order the dull uncirdulated version for ten dollars less?"

Well a lot of people must have thought the same thing because the proof outsold the uncirculated version nearly 5 to 1, and today an MS70 version may sell for as much as $5000!

Know that, I have been keeping my eye out for an NGC MS70 coin for my "100 Greatest" collection, occasionally putting in "low ball" bids. Well son of a gun if one of those low ball bids came through! (Maybe $3550 was not so low ball...) so to make room for the new arrival I am selling the coin that started my obsession with modern US mint products. I have enjoyed it over the years, but now it's just not "dull" enough for me.

(Coin is being auction at that "big site" by Cellgazer.)

12003.jpg

See more journals by Cellgazer

Hi Cellgazer, I was lucky enough to purchase the coin in MS from the mint as years earlier I had noticed the differences in the mintage between modern gold proofs and unc's. I can cite two other commems that also command a large premiun in Unc over the Proof, the 2001 Capital Center ( about $1750 vs $450 and the 1997 Jackie Robinson. $2900 vs $600 ) Both are driven by the difference in mintage. Unfortunately I bought neither coin. In my modern gold commem collection I have 16 coins all UNC with all 6 that I purchased direct from the mint at MS70. As I have nice locked in profits on this series I will be selling shortly ( probably through Bowers at FUN) with the funding to help with my mom's assisted living care. Congrats on your upgrade !! RichH