• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Dipping Project...

11 posts in this topic

Did I enhance or destroy this coin?

After some discussion on the merits (and dangers) of dipping proof and uncirculated coins (I agree, NEVER dip circulated coins) I decided to do a few experiments. For part one, I cracked out a graded 1952 proof half that I thought had unattractive toning and haziness. I did my standard dipping procedure (which NEVER resulted in a 'details grade, by the way), and I resummited it to NGC. The before and after photos are below, results will follow...

11990.jpg

See more journals by Cellgazer

I use e-Z-est, rinse, then soap, rinse, then blow dry the coin with filtered compressed air. This can be used with copper, but the color will be rather orange (may get red with time). I do not recommend dipping copper coins unless they are really hazy. Again, I never dip circulated coins.

I do not know how NCS does it, but they are a little pricey for most coins. If I had a hazey 1995 W proof Eagle, I would send it to NCS. If it was a hazey 1995 P, I would dip it myself.

Why disolve a layer of metal from your coin when those residues could have been dosolved, leaving the original metal untouched?

A major problem with dipping is that you never know when traces of the dip residue will react and cause spotting. Most of the time, this happens on coins that are already slabbed, and they have to be bought back by the grading services.

This is why thourough rinsing and compressed air drying are so important in my mind. You have legitimate concerns, and this is one reason I am doing this study. Sure I would prefer to send all of these ugly coins to NCS, but the price per coin, when you factor in shipping, can approach $100. If this coin comes back at a lower grade or ungradable, I will gladly eat crow. We will know in a week or two.

Cool and thanks for the tip's, Im interested in your coins and how they come back. The reason I asked is because I have a purple green gold Buffalo. Graded By

Mr.Bill Fivaz Himself, MS66. Mr. Fivaz is on the this countries greatest Coin Nus. Co-author of ther cherry pickers guide and he's the F in the FS Var. Cert. discovery error's . My coin came back MS colored ? ...

Mr. Fivas sent a letter of disagreement respectfully. Yet my grade came back again toned MS. No Number grade ? I believe it would be an easy ms-66 possiable a 67.By the way it's a D/D/D/S early die..

I wonder if the coin was dipped in ink or some kind of dye years ago. If that is the case, dipping yourself may not help. I don't know the value of the coin, but if it is a potential high dollar varient I would ship it to NCS and see what they think.