• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1942-S Jefferson Nickel NGC MS67 5FS by lehigh96

16 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Obtained a 1942-S Jefferson Nickel NGC MS67 5FS from Mt. Lassen Coins for $554 and 336 registry points.

1942-S 5C MS67 5FS: NGC Census: (12/0). PCGS Population (9/0) (8/12).

Seller: Mt. Lassen Coins

Purchased: August 18, 2012

Description:

Nearing technical perfection, the only mark visible to the naked eye is the abrasion in the field to the right of the mintmark and the lamination error to the right of the third pillar. A superb strike shows full details save the center of the sixth step. Just a hint of champagne toning is splashed over bright white silver surfaces with remarkable luster. This coin has immense eye appeal and is well deserving of the assigned grade.

Comments:

While searching for a way to improve my registry war nickel set, I found myself in a quandary. Many of the coins are simply unimprovable without entering the realm of MS68 examples which are in very strong hands. Heritage has only auctioned a hand full of MS68 war nickels in the last five years and I have been outbid on several of them. In addition, every coin in my collection is either an MS68, MS67 full steps, or MS67* except one coin. That coin, you guessed it, is the 1942-S. The fact that my 1942-S was absolutely snubbed for a star designation is another story all together but the fact remains that my only realistic option to upgrade my collection was to send in my 1942-S for a star designation review or to obtain an MS67 5FS which carry a very scant NGC population of 12/0.

During my search over the last year, I checked every auction site and major dealer that you can think of to no avail. So a few weeks ago I decided to google "1942-S 5FS Jefferson Nickel" and see what happened. Well what happened was that it led to one listed on the Mt. Lassen website for half of Numismedia Price Guide ($1,150) and hundreds less than the average Heritage auction price of $824 over the last 2 years. Needless to say, I bought that coin as fast as I possibly could. And to sweeten the deal, Mt Lassen coins had a promotion where they would send you a free uncirculated 1943-D Jefferson Nickel with any purchase of $50 or more but instead they sent me a nicely toned gem BU 1941-D with full steps though a small nick.

The next step is to send my existing 1942-S back to NGC for star designation review to see which coin will represent the Atlantic City Set for the upcoming 2012 registry awards.

11979.jpg

See more journals by lehigh96

Very nice coin Lehigh. I had been watching that coin for about 2 months now but you were able to pull the trigger faster than I was.

Congratulations on a nice coin.

Doug

Thanks for sharing. Two great coins. Reminds me of the 1959 flix The Horse Soldiers starring John Wayne. Best line, the lovely Constance Powers , a Southern Belle serving dinner in dress showing her attributes to the Union Colonel (played by Wayne), "Now what is your preference the leg or the breast ?"

Is part of the 2 in 1942 missing or is that the way it is photographed?

There are a bunch of scuffs on the plastic slab. In my zeal, I always forget to clean my slabs before I photograph my NEWPS.

What we have here is a perfect dilemna... The strike is superb on both coins and the FS version would generally be preferrable, but... The MS 67 version has a far superior eye appeal, surface condition and overall presence in my opinion.

The fields of the competition are unbelievably clean. I'm in awe!!! This coin looks to have been certified prior to the plus grading phenomena - I would have to think this coin could be an MS 67 + * candidate...

That's a great coin Paul. I'm amazed at how strong the strike is on some of the 1942-S examples....that's some amazing Monticello detail -- the dome, the pillars, the windows, wow, just insanely gorgeous! :) (thumbs u

Pillar 3 is "iffy" for the 5FS designation on that 1941-D (and the nick), but possible. Definitely not a bad looking coin for a freebie! :D

For a free-bee not bad and it looks to be a FS-501 variety to boot.

Actually It does look like a new variety from the pic ---DDD TrippleD

Your Nickles are actually "STELLAR" my friend!!!!

Rick

Forget full steps, the one you want a star is beautifullllll!!!

The toned coin is still listed in my set and I am going to send it in to NGC for star designation review. If it does not star the second time around, I will have a decision to make. Putting the blast white full step coin in the set would draw me closer to the #1 spot in the registry. But for now, the toned coin will stay and the full stepper will ride the bench.