• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Couple of mirror toners

13 posts in this topic

Is it a different angle for the lighting?

It's what ever smothers the coin with even light, they are a challenge let me tell ya. Sometimes I'll take 15 images of both side then go through the sifting process.

I don't understand your post. OP posts two Morgan Dollars that look PL from the photos and you post two PL Morgan Dollars with a comment about " the straight on look".

What are you saying with your comment about the OP s photos? That the OP' s photos do not correctly depict PL coins?

Carl

The OP's images are straight on which are not best at showing color but shows a more true look to the coin. Since the title was mirror toners, I showed an example of a PL with color.

Not sure where you thought I said anything about something not being PL.

Both coins are 63PL, I shot them straight on and the pics reflect the coins in hand for the most part. I'm not a pro coin photographer, it's fun and rewarding to shoot Morgans with a $100 cam, $5 tripod and two $3 CFLs. I don't have to take perfect, spectacular images leave that for the professionals. The more I shoot the better the images. DSLR in the works as I write this, probably going the Nikon route. IMHO the best cam in the biz. Keep on shooting,

Scott

OK. So you were just contrasting photographic techniques?

Carl

Yes, Todd took two shots of the same coin, one straight on (which I prefer) and one with some tilt. I know from the first shot that this coin has decent mirrors, just by the nature of the photograph. The only way to show the reflectivity of the fields is to shoot it on an angle reflecting text into the mirrors, or do a short 30 second video bouncing light off it. Nothing tops having the coin in your hand.