• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade the 1918 Illinois Centennial

13 posts in this topic

My favorite classic comem, like a piece of art. Hard to believe these were used in daily transactions. Today's comems are to cookie cutterish, not even a word but you get the idea. You're the final grader, what grade do you assign to this piece?

Thanks,

Scott

1918Lincolncommem1.jpg

The Lincoln - Illinois was issued in 1918 before a lot of commemorative coins ended upon collectors hands. As a result a number of pieces were mishandled although the situation is not as bad as it is with the Missouri and Panama - Pacific half dollars. This coin probably never did circulate, but it was stored in a nice coin envelope where it would have avoided getting the slight rub.

And yes, since "sliders" (AU-58 coins with eye appeal) sometimes get into MS-62 holders, this coin could get into one.

The Lincoln - Illinois was issued in 1918 before a lot of commemorative coins ended upon collectors hands. As a result a number of pieces were mishandled although the situation is not as bad as it is with the Missouri and Panama - Pacific half dollars. This coin probably never did circulate, but it was stored in a nice coin envelope where it would have avoided getting the slight rub.

And yes, since "sliders" (AU-58 coins with eye appeal) sometimes get into MS-62 holders, this coin could get into one.

I'm just baffled that these were used in daily transactions. At the time it was just another 90% silver half and many couldn't afford to put it away. I may get it slabbed but it's doing well raw.

I'm just baffled that these were used in daily transactions. At the time it was just another 90% silver half and many couldn't afford to put it away. I may get it slabbed but it's doing well raw.

Getting this coin certified would not add very much value to it. The postage in the grading fee would exceed the incremental value from certification.

Wow, thought it was MS62ish, glad I have little in this piece.

While the coin might be high end AU, based on what I see in the images, I would guess MS62, possibly MS63.