• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the Grade

10 posts in this topic

Need some help figuring this one out...

I'll explain more in a subsequent post. Assume that the fields are clean with no distracting contact marks and the rims of the coin are likewise.

Just for clarity purposes I'll point out two things - first their is what I would deem to be a heavy contact mark on the torch at about one third of the way up the torch from the bottom and there are two contact marks in the hair that glare sort of washes out.

What grade do you think NGC would assign to this dime. I'm very curious what you all think and as I stated earlier I'll explain why later.

Thanks!

Todd

11877.jpg

See more journals by TD Henson

I would say NGC would give a 66 grade even with all those distracting hits on the face =8, ear =1, hair =2, torch =6. Sometimes they really overgrade the FTs especially if sent in by the right person. I give him a straight MS65FT!!! ( or a slide to the corner store to help purchase a cup of coffee tomorrow).

Later---Rick

66FT or 67FT depending on the rest of the coin. Large magnified images aren't good to grade by.

I tend to agree with you, but realistically speaking NGC will look at the coin magnified when grading. I'm exactly in line with your assessment, as I feel this coin was at tops an MS 67 FT, but unfortunately it's holdered as an MS 68 FT. I just can't see it... Thanks for the feedback.

Todd

66FT or 67FT depending on the rest of the coin. Large magnified images aren't good to grade by.

I tend to agree with you, but realistically speaking NGC will look at the coin magnified when grading. I'm exactly in line with your assessment, as I feel this coin was at tops an MS 67 FT, but unfortunately it's holdered as an MS 68 FT. I just can't see it... Thanks for the feedback.

Todd

I think you're a bit off on the magnified part. They may loupe it on a higher grade coin like this, but many coins can be graded without magnification. Also consider the amount of time a coin is graded for. They once it over, get a number, glance again, next.