• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Filter Rankings?? posted by Six Mile Rick

26 posts in this topic

Just added sometime today,and I like it.I can compare my sets against other NGC only sets.I think its a win win situation for everyone,you can still have PCGS coins in the registry but still rank your NGC only sets against other NGC only sets!!

Jason

I LOVE IT!!!!!!

It really gives us an insight for the designated NGC collector. Of course you know I am not one to be picky on the slab --- but particular on the coin in question. I realy think the new addition is COOL!!!!!

Thanks NGC-----------Rick

Thats what is great about it,you can remove the PCGS coins without "removing" them from the registry sets.For my Washington set I am #70 overall but against NGC sets I am #39.

Jason

Very interesting. With the new filter several of my USA/Philippines sets rank number one in their category. I wonder if the Best in Category awards will be based upon the "all coins" or "NGC only" filter?

Wonderful work-around for this issue. I have one set with 4 PCGS graded Kennedy Proofs ranked 23rd with and 18th without. Wonderful to know that at a glance, I agree, very cool!

This move by NGC can be taken either way. I think it is a great feature and proves that the NGC registry is the best. NGC continues to take their user's input into consideration and we are all greatful for that.

One could also say that this move is a step toward total exclusion of all PCGS coins, and of course some people are not too keen on that idea.

I moved up in almost every set I compete in but to take #1 in 1979 and 1981 proof sets is awesome, #2 in Roosevelt proofs with 1251 points to #1 and #1 in washington proofs 1965-1998. For all you only NGC collectors out there this has to be the coolest thing since sliced bread.

No complaints from me! :banana:

I think the writing was on the wall after NGC's decision to remove PCGS coins from the world coin sets. Although my registry points took a hit I still like this feature. Makes me more determined to put together an exclusive NGC set. I have to give NGC a thumbs up on this

It is a great feature but it sends most of my sets tumbling downward and my Ike set disappears!!

Good point on the PCGS world coins. For myself with predominately NGC coins almost all my rankings are improved because my collection is housed in predominately NGC holders. In the end this site is hosted by NGC, so why shouldn't they highlight coins in their holders? I find this an acceptable alternative to just giving PCGS the boot.

Gary

If NGC intends to "award" best set at the end of the year based only on the NGC registry points, then they should reinstate the allowance of PCGS World Coins. I don't really care about the points and rankings, but it was at least easier to keep track of world coin sets when both NGC and PCGS coins could be included -- and, I enjoyed looking at the pictures of the world coin sets -- some of which are now completely gone because of frustration with the short-sighted NGC decision made last fall.

Yeah this new filter is great but...

Being mainly a GSA collector I noticed that when I applied the filter to rule out PCGS that my rankings increased by 2 places. PCGS does not certify GSA hard packs. So how do several members get their PCGS in a catagory that only allows NGC? I know one can get a GSA hoard pedigree on the label of either TPG service but they aren't allowed in the "GSA holder Only" sets.

It's a shame that people feel the need to "cheat" for such a few points. Unpopular view but I'll be glad when this becomes a NGC only CS.

I'm respectfully replying to Muscle-Cars. I think everyone knows my feelings on the bad decision to remove PCGS coins. My question to you Muscle-Cars is how can it be considered "cheating" when until the decision was made last year to remove PCGS coins from the world sets, NGC ALLOWED both TPG in the sets???? No one was getting anything extra, no extra points were given to PCGS coins, no one had an advantage, plus NGC made the rule at that time to allow both. I'm sorry, this is not cheating. It is down to several people (and people is not the word I really wanted to use here) who complained so much plus NGC thinking about getting more crossover fees who in my few ruined everything. I'm sorry for disagreeing, but my freedom of choice has been taken away.

Iowa Silver Baron Bammer

Bammer and others that may not be knowledgeable on GSA holders only registry sets.

I think it's great that everyone here has the right to their opinion but in this case more homework might be required. The "Morgan Dollar GSA holder Only" sets have NEVER allowed ANY coins except those gradedby NGC. The problem is due to a glitch or some bug in the Registry. The GSA holders are large black original govt packaging with a NGC band wrapped around the case; they are not and have never been removed from the cases. But the members I referred to as "cheaters" placed coins in these slots/sets that are NOT supposed there; now, the past or future.

Bottom line: PCGS has never been allowed in these sets because PCGS has never certified GSA hard packs. So when you put any TPG (including NGC) coin in the standard size "new" slab

into a slot clearly labeled for HARD PACK ONLY (OGP) and receive points that is CHEATING. I have no chance of ever being in the top 5 & don't care at all about total points but just enjoy seeing how close I can get. Also, Mr. Bammer you should never apologize for disagreeing. I do understand all the "hoop la" concerning the PCGS coins being removed but honestly it doesn't effect my sets so I pick my battles carefully.

Bammer and others that may not be knowledgeable on GSA holders only registry sets.

I think it's great that everyone here has the right to their opinion but in this case more homework might be required. The "Morgan Dollar GSA holder Only" sets have NEVER allowed ANY coins except those gradedby NGC. The problem is due to a glitch or some bug in the Registry. The GSA holders are large black original govt packaging with a NGC band wrapped around the case; they are not and have never been removed from the cases. But the members I referred to as "cheaters" placed coins in these slots/sets that are NOT supposed there; now, the past or future.

Bottom line: PCGS has never been allowed in these sets because PCGS has never certified GSA hard packs. So when you put any TPG (including NGC) coin in the standard size "new" slab

into a slot clearly labeled for HARD PACK ONLY (OGP) and receive points that is CHEATING. I have no chance of ever being in the top 5 & don't care at all about total points but just enjoy seeing how close I can get. Also, Mr. Bammer you should never apologize for disagreeing. I do understand all the "hoop la" concerning the PCGS coins being removed but honestly it doesn't effect my sets so I pick my battles carefully.

So for your very small niche collection of GSA coins it may be considered "cheating" to put in a coin that isn't graded by NGC. Albeit artificial, as the PCGS items are still the correct coins, just not coins in the right holder with the right label.

Your complaint is one of coins with the wrong type of packaging or label being put in a very specific slot. Most of the rest of us are complaining about our coins that happen to be in PCGS plastic not being allowed to be a part of our registry set. Again, remember, this "registry points game" isn't the driving factor why many of us create sets. I like to be able to show my coins to others, and to see the coins of others...and to be able to track in a clear way my collecting goals. The points issue is secondary in my book, in which case, it's hard to "cheat" at something that's not a game.

Just my 2 cents ...

First of all, let me say I should have been more specific. Muscle cars is right, I should have been explicit and said allowing PCGS coins in our registry sets. I have 2 Morgan CC dollars in hards packs, one is graded and the other will be. So after reading everything, I would agree with Muscle CAr and would say sliding a NGC band on a PCGS graded coin, I would consider that cheating myself. I will write better replies in the future. It seems semantics (while always important) can get me in trouble at times.

However, I will reiterate, as far as the rules allowing PCGS coins in registry sets I will stand firm. I should have mentioned in my previous post, I joined the CS in 2006, and from then until NGC made the decision late last year about the world sets being "PCGS free", the rule has always stated PCGS were allowed. Quite frankly, NGC trumpted this as a very BIG reason why someone (me in this case back in 2006) should join NGC as opposed to the PCGS collector's club.

So, I feel in this case a minority of people who decided for their sets they wanted to be NCG only is now forcing it on everyone. How someone decides to make their personal sets and spend their money is entirely their business and their personal choice. To force that on me by whining to NGC, saying everyone should have only NGC coins in their sets is what I'm complaining about. It took away my freedom of choice.

Hopefully this long post has made my stance more clear. Again, I agree with muscle-car's conclusions as far as the hard pack dollars are concerned.

Iowa Silver Baron

• Administrator

Thanks for the posts. This feature was added based on feedback we received from Registry users who wanted to compete in an exclusively NGC Registry.

For those that want to continue to use the classic view of the NGC Registry no change needs to be made. The "All Coins" view is the default. If you want your sets scored only based on NGC-certified coins, simply click "NGC Coins." Your setting will be saved if you are logged but you can switch back to the "All Coins" view at anytime. We believe that this feature allows the best of both worlds.

There are no plans to exclude PCGS-certified US coins from the NGC Registry at any point in the future. This is just an optional view for people who want to see scores and ranks for NGC-certified coins only. You can read more about these enhancements here.

We plan to continue to release new features for the NGC Registry that make it more fun and appealing to collectors.

Thanks Max for the update. I am curious, however, in reference to end-of-the-year awards. Will the NGC and PCGS coins be grouped or, separated into each appropriate catagory.

i.e.: I appear to be listed as #1 in the NGC certified Proof 70 Sacagawea compitition sets. Will I be in compitition with PCGS coins?

Thanks for all of the provided posts. I learn something new each time I review them.

Semper Fi !

Jack

Thanks for the posts. This feature was added based on feedback we received from Registry users who wanted to compete in an exclusively NGC Registry.

For those that want to continue to use the classic view of the NGC Registry no change needs to be made. The "All Coins" view is the default. If you want your sets scored only based on NGC-certified coins, simply click "NGC Coins." Your setting will be saved if you are logged but you can switch back to the "All Coins" view at anytime. We believe that this feature allows the best of both worlds.

There are no plans to exclude PCGS-certified US coins from the NGC Registry at any point in the future. This is just an optional view for people who want to see scores and ranks for NGC-certified coins only. You can read more about these enhancements here.

We plan to continue to release new features for the NGC Registry that make it more fun and appealing to collectors.

I like it, just don't pull the rug out by completely banning PCGS. If you want to award based just on NCG that's fine with me also

Wheat

I like the feature but I hope that the awards will continue to go to the best sets with the best coins and not base it upon slabs ( not that I aspire to any #1 sets anyhow but just saying on principle as a COIN collector)