• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I like Canadian coins and you should too!

9 posts in this topic

I'm a die-hard American collector of Canadian coins.

They have everything going for them - beauty, low mintages, etc.

I've put together a Mint State set of the classic silver dollar series (1935-1967) and am currently working on getting the die varieties in Mint State.

1948-horz.jpg

I invite other fans of Canada's coinage to post their images/brags here! :D

I love Canadian coins too, but all of my images are on my laptop and I don't get it back till Friday.

After that I will post my 1948 50 cent to match your wonderful dollar!!

Wowser! That 48 is amazing!

I started collecting Canadian coins on my first visit to BC in 1987 as a high school freshman. The best part about the series is that it is completely doable to collect one of everything ever minted, without being a muli-millionaire.

I doubt even Bill Gates could put together a complete US set now.

Sure, the '21s are stoppers, as is the '89 dime and a few others, but it's not impossible, and if you're patient, there's really almost nothing that's over 5 figures if you opt for lower grades.

Just stay away from the Specimens. :eek:

Newfies are even easier!

I like my Canadian collection and plan to expand it. The Charlton guide just dominates ours (US), with blowups of specific varieties so that even those not very familiar can tell what they've got. RCNA standards differ from ANA, but not vastly, and learning the difference broadens the numismatic education.

Earlier this year I did a smart thing. Had some friends from BC coming down for a science fiction convention, but they got delayed pre-registering. Since I live here, I said I'd pre-reg them and they could reimburse me when they arrived. Then I got the idea: rather than hand me cash, why not go to a good dealer and pick me out a Canadian coin of equivalent value? Their choice--I didn't have any Canadian coins worth $60, so anything would be a great addition. I got a really nice 1935 C$1, AU-55 or so, great detail and original lustre. Only my third pre-loonie C$1, and by far the coolest.

I like Canadian coins and want a gold one slabbed sometime!

COOL!

Marking this as a fave!

Do Canadian coins include Newfoundland money?