• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A new day has dawned...

17 posts in this topic

New set just started.

I've been wanting to get into a classic set since the first of this year and as a goal for the year I wanted to start a Capped Bust Half Dime set. I choose the half dime, because of it's rather small size in the basic set only to realize that there are 123 die marriages or uniquely different coins. So much for a small set...

I've been looking for an opportunity to get into this set with a nice coin. I took the opportunity that arose in Sunday's Teletrade auction. I placed a pre-bid of $900 on an 1833 NGC MS 64, knowing it probably wouldn't get it done, but just curious to see where the auction would end.

The auction opened up at 3 PM with a reserve of $1200. That's really more than I wanted to spend and it puts the total price very close to NMV, but then again this is an MS graded 180 year old coin. I reviewed the photos in detail, like the bright, lusterous appearance of this coin. I studied the dies and believe this to be an LM-9, not particularly rare, but then again with a mintage of 1.37 M coins these aren't exactly dime a dozen either.

I spent about 2 hours deliberating about this coin and finally decided to bid the reserve of $1200 and walk away. Checked in Sunday night at 10:30 and found that I was the only bidder, add the $180 buyer's fee (juice as Electric Peak calls it) and voila a new set is born.

Can't wait to get this little beauty in my hands! I've attached the Teletrade obverse picture for your viewing pleasure.

Todd

11614.jpg

See more journals by TD Henson

Gorgeous coin! Although I prefer the Seated Liberty design, the Capped Bust is just so classic, its hard not to drool over such a great example.. :)

Todd

That coin is amazing, nice pick up for the first coin in what will prove to be a fascinating set. All the best to you in assembling coins for your new set.

Gary

I think for now I'll stick to the basic set, as these do strain the budget a bit... Although I toyed around with perhaps working on all the die marriages in F-AU grades.

Thanks Gary!

I too believe this will be fascinating. It will also be costly, but I'd have to think these coins can do nothing but appreciate.

Todd

Jason - I too almost chose Liberty Nickels. Our collecting interests are very similar. I like the classic clean lines of the Liberty nickel and they are rather affordable even up to MS 65 grades. I saw an 1886 on Ebay in MS 62 for $1600 that was tempting... Todd

Todd,

I'm looking forward to following and learning from your building of this set. I've learned quite a bit from you already as I have studied your set of Roosevelt Dimes, received great advice from you on a number of coin issues, purchased my first Roosevelt Dime from you, and in fact joined the Collectors Society because of you. Thanks for the great Journal entry and congratulations on your first Capped Bust Half Dime acquisition! -Doug

Walkers were also on my list and in fact I had a nice one tracked in the same auction that I considered if this purchase didn't work. I appreciate the feedback.

Todd