• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many here are still working on sets of coins pulled from circulation?

10 posts in this topic

My parents brought me a few hundred coins my grandmother probably pulled from ciculation years ago, and I've bought some used Danscos to start date and mintmark sets of Morgan and Peace dollars, Washington quarters, Walking Liberty and Franklin Halfs, and Mercury and Roosevelt dimes. The oddball coins were one dateless Standing Liberty quarter, a 1911 Man-Faced Dime and some Canadian silver.

This is the way I started collecting Jefferson nickels, Lincoln cents, and Roosevelt dimes in Whitman folders back in the day. Although I can never hope to complete a set of any of those I've started by pulling coins from silver junk boxes at melt prices, I enjoy adding a common date every now and then.

I'm also working on Whitman folder sets of Loonies (Canadian dollar coins) and Canadian 25 cent pieces. I guess it's a diversion when you don't have hundreds or thousands of dollars to spend on coins at the moment.

When I started collecting at the age of 5. I filled every penny, nickel, dime, quarter, half, and dollar slot I could fill from circulation and my grandparents help. I had over a thousand coins mostly worth face value of each date P & D. I traded up to more expensive coins and got rid of all the dimes (except mercury) all the nickels (except buffalo) all the quarters, halves. Today I only collect old pennies and dollars but I think I had a lot of fun especially when I filled a slot with a circulated coin.

I have made several jefferson sets this way. I usually have to end up buying or trading for one or two dates though.

I think it would be impossible to complete any other set from start to finish now, except maybe Kennedy halves.

How about getting sets started by going through melt-value silver? Or would most serious collectors think this a waste of time?

Maybe nostalgia is playing with my mind, but I feel a great satisfaction in going through coins with my kids and plugging folder or album holes. There's something about being able to hold a common-date coin in my hand (by the edges, of course) instead of handling a slab that appeals to me. Nah, it's probably just that I can't afford nice coins any more.

I have made several jefferson sets this way. I usually have to end up buying or trading for one or two dates though.

I think it would be impossible to complete any other set from start to finish now, except maybe Kennedy halves.

I filled the Roosevelt Dimes 1965-2010 through pocket change in 2 years, granted no silver coins needed

I am having fun filling a harris folder with Lincoln Memorials ( 59-98 I believe) My rule is strictly coins received in change. I am about 85% done. The S mints from the late 60's early 70's are tough.

I am having fun filling a harris folder with Lincoln Memorials ( 59-98 I believe) My rule is strictly coins received in change. I am about 85% done. The S mints from the late 60's early 70's are tough.

I pull them from change when I see them. They look like little medallions compared with the low relief cents made now.

My sets are filled now, many from circulation, but lately it's been such a hassle to find the new quarters from change that I just cut up a mint set each year for my holes to be filled!

I still am casually pursuing the state/territory/national park quarters but I am not particurally excited about it anymore. Every year or so I'll get a box of quarters and fill holes. Sometimes I pick one or two out of change. I started but never completed a jefferson nickel set. I always look at my change and every once in a while I throw something with a little color in a 2 x 2. Wheat cents or buffalo nickels I find go to the YNs after I get a fair amount. I still (for purely compulsive reasons) pick out the copper cents from change but no longer do I buy boxes and search through them. Maybe once a year or so I sort the 1960's cents by year/MM. There is no rationale whatsoever...purely compulsion.

I have a lot of coins from circulation in my Danscos but as others have mentioned, most are getting harder to find. I also don't carry cash so that makes it harder for me to get change to sort thru. The past few years I also just cut up an extra mint set to fill holes.