• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade the Bust Dime! New Pics posted on first post!

52 posts in this topic

Sorry, Ankur, but this coin is for CAC Kool Aid drinkers. The coin should never have gone into a PCGS holder because it is damaged. This sort of thing was one of the reasons why slabbing and certification came on the market.

Since the coin should not have been graded in the first place, it also should not have a CAC sticker. Once more this is the reason for CAC. They are supposed to protect you from miss-graded coins. Yes, the net grade might be right, but this is not a problem free coin that is above controversy when it is bought and sold. Many dealers who specialize in early coins would avoid handling this piece.

I am inclined to agree with you - but I think those pictures are insufficient to really make a judgement either way. The coin could look very different with better pictures.

Let's see.

The coin has the sharpness of an AU, but it's graded VF-30, a deduction of at least 20 grading points. It has been in that slab for over 10 years and yet no one has cracked it out for a slam dunk up-grade that would be worth at least a couple thousand dollars if it didn't have some problem. And it doesn't have a gold CAC sticker which would indicate a possible crack out possibility. hm

As my mother used to say, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink." (shrug)

Seems like an interesting coin that would be worth VF30 money to many people. The storyline here makes for interesting reading too.

What I would like to hear is JA's comments regarding the green sticker. It was slabbed in the days before Details/Genuine services and therefore is likely net graded way down (it certainly appears to be anyway). The green sticker becomes questionable at that point and only CAC can answer as to why they stickered it.

The truth will come out. A boring coin it is not.

To those of you criticizing the coin, PCGS and CAC, what is wrong with withholding judgment, rather than making your proclamations, based solely on an image?

To those of you criticizing the coin, PCGS and CAC, what is wrong with withholding judgment, rather than making your proclamations, based solely on an image?

The image isn't one of those where the exposure, white balance, or sharpness is in question. Rather, unless it's a really strangely (and stupidly) altered image, it seems to clearly show a damaged coin.

But, I am reserving further judgement until Ankur provides better images.

Let's see.

The coin has the sharpness of an AU, but it's graded VF-30, a deduction of at least 20 grading points. It has been in that slab for over 10 years and yet no one has cracked it out for a slam dunk up-grade that would be worth at least a couple thousand dollars if it didn't have some problem. And it doesn't have a gold CAC sticker which would indicate a possible crack out possibility. hm

As my mother used to say, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink." (shrug)

Could not have said it better myself...

I was going to guess a 40 before you said grade - does not seem to have any luster and some dirt around the devices.

It seems like a nice coin for 200 years old.

I would be interested in what is going on around the star7 and L into the field and the corresponding reverse area of field out through the N - rusted die? die clash? plugged hole? repaired? nothing?

If we all did this, 98% of coin threads would have 0 replies.

That's incorrect. There is a big difference between providing a grading opinion and/or commenting on a coin, vs. reaching a conclusion and passing judgment on a grading company.

(thumbs u

That's incorrect. There is a big difference between providing a grading opinion and/or commenting on a coin, vs. reaching a conclusion and passing judgment on a grading company.

Hmmmm ... difficult to evaluate as it is not my series, but I'd say its physically an EF-45, but due to the light scratches and the soft strike (?) on reverse it might market grade lower. EF-40?

Nice coin in either case and would love to have an example like it in my collection.

I realize these pieces are often generously graded by the major TPG, and as such, an AU50 or 53 holder is where I would expect it to be market-wise.

Now the actual technical grade might be more like XF40 or 45 - but a 30?! Something is strange in the state of Denmark.

That said, I would be happy to own the coin. What some of us perceived as significant damage was apparently a scuffed holder.

It's time to call in Inspector Clouseau!

insp.jpg

What's going on behind the head on the obverse?

This coin is an earlier die state than the piece illustrated in the Early United States Dimes 1796 - 1837 , John Reich Collectors Society book (written by David Davis and Co.). That plate coin does not show the marks behind the head that go into the seventh star. Those marks were put there after the coin was struck; they are not clash marks. The coin has been net graded for damage.

I've gotten into enough trouble with this coin already. So from now on I'm going to shut up. :facepalm:

This coin is an earlier die state than the piece illustrated in the Early United States Dimes 1796 - 1837 , John Reich Collectors Society book (written by David Davis and Co.). That plate coin does not show the marks behind the head that go into the seventh star. Those marks were put there after the coin was struck; they are not clash marks. The coin has been net graded for damage.

I've gotten into enough trouble with this coin already. So from now on I'm going to shut up. :facepalm:

It didn't look like a die clash to me either. Either way Ankur, as long as you're happy with it, that is all that matters.

I'm with Bill. The new images reinforce my impression that the coin has been bent and straightened.