• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are your thoughts on this large cent?

7 posts in this topic

What grade or (net grade) do you think it would grade at? Thanks in advance for your help. What are your thoughts on this coin, some say it has been cleaned but others have told me it hasn’t.

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u518/coinsandmedals/1853large3.png

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u518/coinsandmedals/1853large1.png

Good news – from the pictures this coin looks to be Rd.

Now the bad news – it is likely the coin has been cleaned and recolored.

I don’t care for the lower reverse spotting.

Technical grade would be MS 63 – 64. Full Red early copper is rare , where did you get this ??

I’m not an expert on old copper, in fact I just started but I have had the opportunity to add several nice examples. I purchased this nearly two years ago from a private seller, he was not a coin dealer or collector it was his fathers, and he sold it to me at his father’s estate sale. I have other large cents that I plan to send off to NGC but I’m just not sure if they are worth certifying. I will post more on this forum, but I feel guilty in the fact that I’m not knowledgeable enough to help other members in grading their coins. Thank you for your response, and any additional information that you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Don.

If you have a local dealer I would take this coin in for an evaluation.

You may have a legitimate RD coin here – it is not possible to determine this from your photos. I am naturally skeptical about any Early copper coin that is raw and looks RD

:)

Well, I did bring it into the dealers that are around my area and of the three, two said it looked unaltered in any way and one said that he thinks it may have been cleaned. So I don’t completely trust the opinion of these dealers mainly because they only focus on bullion and modern coins and they told me that they have very little knowledge on early copper.

I would grade this coin ms62 details, it's hard to tell for sure that it was cleaned from the pictures that you provided. The reverse looks to have dark areas around the details like it has been cleaned in the past. It's still a very nice coin though!

I think that the coin has been cleaned with something, and that there might be a residue of it on the reverese rim between 5 and 6 o'clock. Having said that I've bought half cents and large cents in NGC or PCGS that collectors have told me had been cleaned to make them red, using a picture or even seeing the piece in person might not "nail it." Still the look of the surfaces says "cleaned" to me. That was my intial reaction when I saw the piece.

BTW you can link the picture from Photobucket to your posting by placing your pointer on the picture and then copying the second line (direct link) to the picture button on the message box. (The third toolbar icon, next to the envelop.) I've done here.

1853large3.png1853large1.png