• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

would this grade a 45?

8 posts in this topic

No.

The sharpness is EF, but the surfaces appear to be lightly corroded. For that reason the coin would not receive a number grade from either of the major grading services.

Here is a picture of a nice EF grade large cent. There is some crud in the protected areas, but the surfaces are smooth and brown.

1853LargeCentO.jpg1853LargeCentR.jpg

Here is another example.

1857LargeCentO-2.jpg1857LargeCentR-2.jpg

It's raw Largecent1853.jpg

Do you have a larger photograph? Maybe it's my monitor, but I didn't see any corrosion when I viewed the post. I certainly would defer to Mr. Jones, but I am curious as to what I am missing.

It's raw Largecent1853.jpg

Do you have a larger photograph? Maybe it's my monitor, but I didn't see any corrosion when I viewed the post. I certainly would defer to Mr. Jones, but I am curious as to what I am missing.

I'm looking at the spots around the stars on the obverse that appear to be INTO the coin. To a lesser degree I see the same thing among the letters of the legend on the reverse. Overall there appears to be some general porosity on the surfaces that goes beyond the die surface issues that you sometimes see on large cents from this era.

I'll try for a larger picture sometime today...And thanks for all the comments,as i bought the coin out of bordom..was only 35.00 (not my series).