• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1855 Large Cent -- GRADE REVEALED

32 posts in this topic

Incidentally, the EAC grade for this coin is somewhere between VF-20 and MS-67.

To narrow it down more than that, sacrifice a year old white lamb at sunset, drink a cup of tea and look into the leaves, and watch the flock of ravens, all while reciting the incantations of the Great Prophet Sheldon. The answer will appear to you in the white smoke of the incense.

My guess would be EAC 55, since it obviously has been handled.

Commercial MS-62 BN.

lol James, I can always count on you for a low-ball guess -- even in "commercial" terms. :) (thumbs u

Is it James being too strict or are the TPG's too loose? I had it also at MS 62. That hair looks pretty flat to me.

Incidentally, the EAC grade for this coin is somewhere between VF-20 and MS-67.

To narrow it down more than that, sacrifice a year old white lamb at sunset, drink a cup of tea and look into the leaves, and watch the flock of ravens, all while reciting the incantations of the Great Prophet Sheldon. The answer will appear to you in the white smoke of the incense.

My guess would be EAC 55, since it obviously has been handled.

Commercial MS-62 BN.

lol James, I can always count on you for a low-ball guess -- even in "commercial" terms. :) (thumbs u

Is it James being too strict or are the TPG's too loose? I had it also at MS 62. That hair looks pretty flat to me.

OK, I'll throw :sumo: the first punch here. The coin is in a slab from a period when NGC grades were.... ahem.... perceived as being a bit "looser". So if this coin were a bit loosely graded at MS-64, then we might guess it is really MS-63. Therefore, our guess(es) of MS-62 are hardly all that crazy.

I bet that if cracked out and resubmitted, it would not come back at the 64 level.

There :) I feel better now!