• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would this raw Roosevelt grade??

12 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I picked this up for $3 bucks raw the other day, its going in my Dansco 7070 set. I just thought that I would throw it up and get some thoughts on a grade? Pictures are not the best, coin has some fantastic luster that you cant see in the pictures.

2012_0524AD.jpg

2012_0524AC.jpg

Thanks!

I don't know what you are talking about with die grease.

The areas to which I refer are both on the obverse. The circular marks on the far right, from about 2 o'clock to 3:30 are classic counting wheel damage. Further, the very large patch of parallel lines running across his cheek are damage of another sort.

Without the damage, this coin would probably grade 64. At $3, you aren't out a whole lot, as the silver value of the coin is right at $2.

Buy the book before the coin!

Which book are you referring to?

the parallel lines across the cheek are most likely roller marks from earlier in the minting process of rolling out the metal stock to correct thickness.

The strike was not strong enough to remove all these prestrike marks.

The coin is nice but not worth putting in slab, as you can buy better ones in a slab already for less than it would cost you to put into slab

Do the marks on the right near the edge (earlier called roller marks) cut into the coin?

Buy the book before the coin!

Which book are you referring to?

!!eBm4z!B2M~$(KGrHqIOKpEE0VDsRkP9BNQyTudwWg~~_35.JPG

the parallel lines across the cheek are most likely roller marks from earlier in the minting process of rolling out the metal stock to correct thickness.

None of the marks on the coin are cutting into the metal, the worst mark on the coin is on the reverse across one of the leaves. I do have a grading book, I just thought I would gain a greater opinion and I never had any thought to get this graded I was just checking out thoughts on the grade :)

Thanks!

That coin is so plentiful that a perfect (or near perfect) example can be found quite easily and cheap (under $10). Why settle?

There is a lot of tick marks on both sides of the coin. It is defently a full torch coin. If you descide to send it in to get graded. Expect the grade to come back between a MS 60-63.