• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the Grade - 1948 Franklin

53 posts in this topic

Jason, the image below is still considerably larger than life-size. How bad do those giant (damage) marks on the reverse look now? Still "No way should this reside in a problem-free holder"?

half1948.jpg

Jason, the image below is still considerably larger than life-size. How bad do those giant (damage) marks on the reverse look now? Still "No way should this reside in a problem-free holder"?

half1948.jpg

I am holding a Franklin in my hand right now, and visualizing that mark. Yes, absolutely I still think it should not reside in a problem free holder. At the very least, not in a 66 with a CAC. Is that so hard to believe? Do you honestly think that this coin deserves the plastic it is wearing or the price it is about to fetch?

half1948.jpg

I am holding a Franklin in my hand right now, and visualizing that mark. Yes, absolutely I still think it should not reside in a problem free holder. At the very least, not in a 66 with a CAC. Is that so hard to believe? Do you honestly think that this coin deserves the plastic it is wearing or the price it is about to fetch?

As you already know, based on the image, my grade guess was MS65FBL, shot MS64FBL.

However, in judging a coin from an image, I know better than to make the type of statements that you have in this thread. While I can understand comments to the effect that "The coin looks over-graded" or "The coin looks like it deserves a no-grade", I don't think it's sensible to proclaim "No way should this reside in a problem-free holder".

You sound as if you are stating opinion as fact. Though that is obviously your right, I make efforts to avoid doing that.

Hi all,

No grade is absolute ... grading is an art, and as such variations in grade should and do occur within a point ot two. The value and attractiveness of any coin is individualistic, and we use TPGs to grade because of their experience in assigning grades which people have confidence. These guess the grade exercises are just that, and we cannot judge as well as those who are doing so in hand. While I may disagree on some items I can accept that others may see them differently.

My guess of "no grade" was based on an enlarged photo in which method I have much less experience in doing than in hand. To me that scratch appeared HUGE and first impressions are important as they tend to gnaw at your judgement. While I still have issues on the assigned grade (and probably wouldn't buy this coin) the grade is what it is and not one but two highly recognized parties agreed .... an excellect check. Congradulations to the owner ^^

Next!

Wendy

MS 64. No FBL IMO.

Edit............just saw the actual grade on page 2. I think a monkey can grade at NGC after the inconsistencies I've seen from them recently. That reverse damage has no effect on the grade............my eye!!!

MS 64. No FBL IMO.

Edit............just saw the actual grade on page 2. I think a monkey can grade at NGC after the inconsistencies I've seen from them recently. That reverse damage has no effect on the grade............my eye!!!

It easily looks FBL to me - are you familiar with the standards for FBL among the major TPG's?

Mr.Feld I would like to know how they grade FBL,what are the standards?

At NGC, both sets of lines at the bottom of the bell must be complete, with minor weakness allowed very close to the bell. Small marks may interrupt the bell lines.

At PCGS, only the bottom set of lines must be complete. CAC uses PCGS' definition to evaluate FBL.

For far more information on FBL and Franklins in general, I direct you to my Registry set linked in my Signature below.

Mr.Feld I would like to know how they grade FBL,what are the standards?

Please feel free to call me Mark - I don't feel as old that way ;)

Here is a good thread on FBL and the differences in standards between NGC and PCGS.

Try your hand at this. This one is really tricky. Don't cheat, just give me your honest opinion.

Overall I'd say 64.

As far as the bell lines go, if you're a PCGS fan, FBL, if you're an NGC fan, no FBL as the top set of lines are not full as I can see a hit across them.

Nice coin either way.

Try your hand at this. This one is really tricky. Don't cheat, just give me your honest opinion.

Overall I'd say 64.

As far as the bell lines go, if you're a PCGS fan, FBL, if you're an NGC fan, no FBL as the top set of lines are not full as I can see a hit across them.

Nice coin either way.

A hit on the bell lines does not necessarily preclude a FBL designation. It depends upon the size and the location.

MS 64. No FBL IMO.

It easily looks FBL to me - are you familiar with the standards for FBL among the major TPG's?

As I understand both NGC's and PCGS' designation of the FBL, NGC wants both sets of the bell lines to be full, distinguishable from one another, with no interruptions from contact marks, or wear; and PCGS only looks at the bottom set of lines with the same criteria as NGC.

Overall I'd say 64.

Nice coin either way.

A hit on the bell lines does not necessarily preclude a FBL designation. It depends upon the size and the location.

I would agree with that statement Mark, but I ask you, if that hit interrupts the fullness of the line(s), would that not prevent the designation, at least according to both TPGs standards of assessing the bell lines for an FBL?

Overall I'd say 64.

Nice coin either way.

I would agree with that statement Mark, but I ask you, if that hit interrupts the fullness of the line(s), would that not prevent the designation, at least according to both TPGs standards of assessing the bell lines for an FBL?

Like other aspects of grading, the designation can be subjective and inconsistent. The designation often/usually wont be applied if the interruption is (in my words) significant.

But for the coin in this thread, I don't see an interruption approaching the magnitude which would preclude the FBL designation. And I have seen many far less deserving examples with the designation.

Overall I'd say 64.

Nice coin either way.

Like other aspects of grading, the designation can be subjective and inconsistent. The designation often/usually wont be applied if the interruption is (in my words) significant.

But for the coin in this thread, I don't see an interruption approaching the magnitude which would preclude the FBL designation. And I have seen many far less deserving examples with the designation.

Thank you for clearing that up for Mark.

As always you're very helpful.

Overall I'd say 64.

Nice coin either way.

Thank you for clearing that up for Mark.

As always you're very helpful.

Thank you and my pleasure.

When blowing coins up 100X on video screens, small imperfections are amplified.

The luster on that thing must be amazing as is the obverse.

If you feel you can grade coins better from pics than in hand, you are delusional.

I never say no to CRAC, although I refuse to pay for it at this time.

When blowing coins up 100X on video screens, small imperfections are amplified.

The luster on that thing must be amazing as is the obverse.

If you feel you can grade coins better from pics than in hand, you are delusional.

I never say no to CRAC, although I refuse to pay for it at this time.

I'm sure i'm not the only one that finds some pleasure and fun grading from pictures :)

I enjoy it as well, but to say the coin is no way a 66 is wrong

If it was a mechanical error and wrong date, rather easy to tell

to see the grade and think a rather LOW end 66, is alright and you would not be willing to pay over 64 money or just pass is fine as well