• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old PCI photo-certified holders.

13 posts in this topic

I don't have much experience with these holders, so would like to hear your opinion. I've been curious about these for a while, but haven't had a reason to purchase one until I saw this 8 Reales, my primary collecting focus, being offered.

Pictures are not fantastic, so I'm a bit anxious to see the coin in-hand.

Do you think it's a cleaned / hairlined dog, or did PCI grade to a higher standard back then?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

KGrHqRHJE8E88eYCZ4BPmrRwyk8Q60_58.jpg

KGrHqZHJEsE916drFiOBPmrRzSj60_58.jpg

I think you are going to make out just fine...especially if you didn't pay a premium for the old holder. I have submitted 5 coins in these holder to PCGS over the years and all were graded exactly the same as what was on the holder so either I got lucky or the coins are accurately graded for the most part.

I remember these slabs, they got started around the same time as PCGS but never amounted to any more than a second tier service. Never used them and I am not sure about the strictness of their grading. Your pictures are a little to fuzzy to make any kind of guess as to the appropriateness of the assigned grade.

You and I share a love of the 8 Reales, although I like mine with lots of chopmarks.

One of my great regrets was letting go of a Pillar Dollar a few years back. That was a mistake.

Later,

Malcolm

Many years ago I had a 1916-D Mercury Dime graded VG-8 by PCI in one of those old slabs like yours. It crossed at PCGS at the same grade so I guess at least some of these coins were accurately graded.

I think you are going to make out just fine...especially if you didn't pay a premium for the old holder. I have submitted 5 coins in these holder to PCGS over the years and all were graded exactly the same as what was on the holder so either I got lucky or the coins are accurately graded for the most part.

Or you are a highly competent grader (which I believe you to be), and you were able to cherry pick the good coins from the overgraded dreck.

With regards to the coin in the original post, I see nothing that makes me think that it would fail to grade. The grading also looks about right to me, but the images are less than desirable. I would take the risk.

The early PCI coins were conservatively graded which explains why the old photo slabs are fairly rare now. Most of these old slabs have been destroyed when they were crossed to NGC or PCGS and it was not unusual for them to upgrade.

Or you are a highly competent grader (which I believe you to be), and you were able to cherry pick the good coins from the overgraded dreck.

With regards to the coin in the original post, I see nothing that makes me think that it would fail to grade. The grading also looks about right to me, but the images are less than desirable. I would take the risk.

Thanks..in the case of these coins I bought them for the holders really but I did agree with the grades on them...probably would have submitted them anyway unless I thought they were cleaned. :screwy:

The coin is in and it's pretty nice. Way too bright for my taste, plus it's a Peruvian and not Mexican, but solid for the grade.

Thank you again for the advice.

1805_lima_slab_obv.jpg

1805_lima_slab_rev.jpg

1805_lima_obv.jpg

1805_lima_rev.jpg

Great looking coin. I'd leave it right where it is in that holder.

That's the plan for now, Perry. This is a first PCI photo-grade holder I have and since I don't need this coin for any of my registry sets, i'm going leave it where it is.

Third Generation PCI slab. The first two did not have a serial number on the back and the fourth had a barcode on the back.