• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bonus Registry Points for Coin Photos -- How about it NGC?

13 posts in this topic

In the past, uploading photos to the NGC Registry was a pain-in-the-slab, since images had to be re-sized downward prior to uploading them to the site. The extra steps involved (when multiplied by the number of coins registered here) discouraged many users from uploading coin images to the Registry pages.

Now that NGC has updated the photo upload tool, the extra pre-editing for file size is no longer necessary. Congratulations are due to those responsible for making this change, and as a result, I've now uploaded images for over 90% of my registered coins, with the remainder to follow soon. I encourage other members to do the same.

I'm sure we all can agree that a Registry Set without coin images is not near as captivating and enjoyable as a set with photographs. The same holds true for detailed descriptions of the coins, or the history behind the coin or series. Too often, a Registry Set without images or descriptions is nothing more than a database listing of slab numbers. Boring.

Currently, NGC uses the number of images and descriptions as a Registry Tie-breaker, but this policy does little to motivate most users to upload these extras, since ties rarely occur and the tie-breaker only moves a user up one notch in rank anyway.

As a furthur incentive for the NGC Registry to encourage members to upload coin photographs (and to highlight the new upload tool that programmers worked so hard to develop), I propose that the NGC Registry award bonus points for sets -- or coins in sets -- that have corresponding images posted. Implementation of this new policy could be done in one or two (or more ways), either by coin or by sets.

Examples...

EXAMPLE A: Sets which have the same number of images posted as coins in the set, would receive a 10% bonus in points awarded, thus a set scoring 1350 points containing 26 coins and 26 images (either 26 obverse or 13 obverse and 13 reverse, or any other combination thereof) would receive a bonus of 135 points for a total score of 1485 points. Sets with fewer number of images than coins would not receive bonus points until the images equal the number of coins in the set, encouraging users to continue to upload images of registered coins.

EXAMPLE B: Each coin that has at least one image uploaded would receive a 10% point bonus for that particular coin (in each set containing that individual coin). An 1895 Indian Cent that has a corresponding image would receive a 10% bump in points in the Indian Cent Set, and a 10 percent bump in points in the 19th Century Type Set (assuming that the coin was in both of these sets). As a user uploads images for each of his coins, the user would see an immediate bump in his points related to that coin and the sets it is registered in. The 10% bonus would be rounded up (i.e. a coin already worth 85 points would receive 9 points for an image bonus). Coins which normally score less than 10 points would receive a one point image bonus.

While these proposals might sound complicated at first glance, they shouldn't be too difficult to program, as the Registry already counts and displays the number of images and descriptions for each set and coin. All that would be needed is for the programmers to add the appropriate math calculation.

All entertainment has "value", and the NGC Registry is no different. I believe the "value" of the Registry is directly proportional to the number of images (and descriptions) posted by its users. By encouraging Registry members (through point bonuses) to upload more coin images, the "value" of this Registry to all concerned will be increased.

What do you say, NGC?

What do you say, Registry Members?

Should a small point bonus be awarded for coins which have corresponding images uploaded through the new and improved Registry Photo Uploader?

I think it's a great idea.

I have a pretty busy life (plus I am lazy by nature) and yet most of my Registry Sets have photos.

If I can do it, anyone can.

I would love if NGC would give even a slight bonus for coins with images. In addition, all sets that are obscured should be non-competing.

I think one of the nicest things about the NGC registry is being able to see the gems in other collections, without having to shell out all of the money yourself. Everyone can't collect everything, and if all or most of the coins in the registry were imaged, it would be an incredible compendium of knowledge and a great resource for new collectors (and, IMO, would draw more people to the NGC registry).

I completely agree with brg5658.If people list their sets on the registry they are obviously proud of what they have,so why not add pictures and descriptions.A little extra points incentive would surely help to motivate most people!!!!

I think that is a great idea. Points for pics and obscured should not be eligible for ranking. Pictures are important to insure that folks are not just pulling slab numbers off eBay.

Love the idea about bonus points for both picture and description, but how many for each as the quality varies in both cases. Just because something is thrown on a registry set shouldnt have the same amount of bonus points as something that took time and effort to do it right.

I would also dearly love to see the ability to post pictures and descriptions on non-slabbed items. Not all examples in our collections justify the expense of sending it in but many people are justifiably proud of what they have accomplished on a limited budget, and this is especiallly so for our YNs. Of course these coins couldn't qualify in the rankings as the grades would be unverified, but it would be great for the hobbists who represent the future ... and who knows, it may drive future business that might otherwise be lost to some other TPG.

Sounds good on paper, but it opens up a can of worms. As CyberspaceVoid states, you start getting to defining points for quality of image and text, which is probably too subjective a parameter to quantify. The fact that you get a 'bump' from having them at all is fine with me...

I think they should leave it as it is right now. It is used for tie breakers. For example, if person A has the same score and no photos as person B with photos, then person B wins in the registry.