• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would You Pay $1400 for this coin? posted by hunter's gold

20 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

2011 MS68 PCGS Lincoln Shield

Hi everyone. I had this particular coin tracked in last nights TeleTrade Auction and all I can say is "WOW" This coin sold for $1400 last night before fees. I know there is such a big debate about the value of PCGS vs NGC coins but this is just out of whack. I have a NGC example of this coin in the same grade that I paid less than $100 for. You decide. As always, thanks for looking and Happy Collecting

11103.jpg

See more journals by hunter's gold

The coin was minted last month for God sake. Every one of them should be MS 68 RD.

To answer your question..............no, there should not be any gap in TPG pricing results.

I have seen this happen before. The person that purchased obviously had a challenger. Now we know what the recent sales were so no one in their right mind would bid so high and especially not two bidders RIGHT?

WRONG--- The person that purchased the coin more than likely has around 10 of the same coins graded. A super sale where he had someone else bid him up to a respectable --( over the wall ) price. He will lose the sales commission but get the rest of his money back. When the census checks and adds the sales price this summer you will see the value of that coin skyrocket. Then the buyer will sell the other 10 MS68 rds he is hoarding.

(MARKET MANIPULATION)

Later---Rick

Yikes. The PCGS Price Guide lists full retail of this coin at $500.00. This is sure to generate some deep buyer's remorse OR the whole thing was a big error on TeleTrade's part.

I agree there shouldn't be a difference in pricing. I sure as heck would not pay $1400. But on the other hand there is an easy explanation. I hate to beat a dead horse, but this is the "problem" of only allowing one grading service in your registry sets. I looked at the PCGS pop report for this coin, they have only graded 5, yes I said 5, as MS68!! NGC on the other hand has graded 91, and also have graded 3 as MS69.

I am really sorry to put it like this, but with only 5 coins available to a PCGS Lincoln set collector with a registry set, what do you all think is going to happen with only 5 top pop coins available. The price is going to go through the roof!!!! Seems to me to be simple economics, how many total Lincoln cent collectors do you all think are out there??? I went to the PCGS regsitry and looked, there are well over 100 sets being made. Now, do the math, only 5 top pop coins (the supply) and at least 100 sets (the demand). What do you think the law of supply and demand do to prices???

Sorry, this is a big reason why I was against PCGS coins being pulled from the world coin registry sets. Now NGC coins, which we used to get less expensively are going to go up (I guess good in one way when we would ever sell) but in the long run more expensive to purchase in the long run.

Ok OK, I'm off my soap box now!

Iowa Silver Baron Bammer

Hmm, I don't know for sure but Bammer sure did a little more background check on those darn PCGS guys.

Could go either way but if I paid $100 for a NGC I would be a very proud owner as the coin proves itself to be a money-maker.

Later

Not a $1,400.00 coin unless someone wants it to be. Personally, I think PCGS prices are completely out of line with their NGC counterparts. The last time I sent in PCGS coins for crossover 2 of 6 did not cross at the same level and none graded higher at NGC - I don't do that any more. Currency is even worse as I have had PCGS graded notes drop as much as 3 grades at PMG - I don't do that any more either. I guess that I am a slow learner. The real fact remains that it is the coin or note, not the holder, that SHOULD determine value.

PCGS may be extremely tight on this specific coin. NGC is tight on quite a few coins from the 1970-1980 proofs where as PCGS is not so tight and has graded quite a few PR70DCAM's where NGC has never graded ANY.

I would like to see these 3 coins in person, the MS68 PCGS and the MS68 and 69 from NGC to compare and see exactly what is going on. Heck someone should write a book.

again boils down to buy the coin not the holder

I understand Bammer's point and it is very valid, however with 3 billion of these cents to choose from, there will be certainly more than 5 graded at PCGS.

Case in point in the Roosevelt line - Any of the coins from 1999-2003 - hundreds have been graded at PCGS in MS 68 FB, while NGC has only graded a handful of each at that level, but NGC has graded less total coins than PCGS has applied the MS 68 FB status too...

My 2 cents - this is plain stupid. :facepalm::makepoint:

My perspective is that I respect the grades assigned to coins by both NGC and PCGS. That said, in reference to populating the PCGS registry, I believe the registry we have here at Collectors Society is far superior than that of PCGS. Since PCGS does not allow NGC coins and NGC does allow PCGS coins in their respective registries, it is far cheaper to maintain and complete an NGC set than a PCGS set. In the case of this coin, those savings are pretty significant.

Gary

You do know that a dealer can have a lot of say---500 coins graded and have the higher grade set in a safe (on hold) for encapsulation for later? I remember reading something about that 4 or 5 years ago. The newer coins are never the value they really look like on paper---- 1 or 2 years down the road the real proof starts to show. Don't get pulled in by the big dealers scams.

Later------------

A couple registry set bidders - rarely do these populations stay as-is

- more likely in 3-5 years there will be 3-5 times as many MS68s and you will be able to get a similar example for under $100