• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

more details on the NEW registry image uploader?

8 posts in this topic

I'm curious about how this new registry image uploader works (announced here: http://www.ngccoin.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?NewsletterNewsArticleID=1614 )

1. Does the uploader resize image dimensions at all? If so, will it only downsize images that are too large (pixel x pixel), or will it attempt to make all images the same size, even if that means increasing the size of smaller images?

Example: If the uploader resizes to 1,000 x 1,000 pixels for all images above that size, will it also resize a 850 x 850 image to 1,000 x 1,000? This would result in some ugly pixelation.

2. Does the uploader "recompress" images to bring down file size? If so, is it based on a max file size unknown to us, or is it a quality slider (say, 80% quality jpg)? Again, will it apply this to all images, or only images over a certain threshold? If there's a threshold, what is it?

This is important as I spend a great deal of time making my images look as best as I can within the given 200 kb file size limit, and I'd rather I be the only one applying any post processing, including compression, to those images.

Thanks for any more details you can share.

I agree with Alan. Knowing some specifics about the "resizing" algorithm would be useful to know. If I know that only images over 1000x1000 px (for example) will get resized, then I will keep mine smaller. I hope that it is just a fixed compression algorithm.

-Brandon

• Administrator

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the question. The goal of the new tool is to simplify the image upload process for members without having any negative impact on image quality, while also shrinking images to a maximum size of 200KB. Here are some specifics about how the image processing works:

• First, the uploaded image is converted to JPG if it is not already in that format
  • Next, if there is an opportunity to compress the image without hurting the quality, basic compression is applied. This step only reduces the FILE SIZE of the image; it should have no impact on the dimensions or quality

If the image is below 200KB or less after those 2 steps, the process is done. If the image is still over 200KB, one additional step occurs:

• The image dimensions (pixels) are gradually reduced until the size drops below 200KB

For now, one thing that could still be done prior to uploading to minimize resizing during the upload would be to CROP images so that unnecessary image content does not get counted towards the 200KB maximum. We're exploring an option that would allow you to do that cropping work during/after the upload process, and that may be added in a future version of the tool.

We're proud of this tool and believe that it will make your life easier. However, if you notice any issues or have any complaints about the image processing that occurs, please let us know.

Thanks,

Scott

Nice feature and thanks for incorporating it. At least I can format new coins to this envelope and have better picture detail and control for the registry. Many of my older pictures are already resized for the old format and will distort if enlarged. However, many of them are old scans and could stand refreshing anyway. This gives me incentive to get busy with updated my pics.

This is a worthy feature and I certainly will use it for my registry entries in the future.

It would be great not to have to fool around with the file size of images any more. I sometimes have my first set of images and then a second smaller set to go up on the registry picture. Getting rid of that extra work would be great.