• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A CAC Submission: Got Results!

74 posts in this topic

Sent this group to CAC Priority Mail on 04/02/12.

Accepted today. :)

1893_Col_Slab_Obv1.jpg

In hand, the coin is just nicer than the 63 grade warrants. Gold Bean. :cry:

Mark_Feld_RhodeIslandpcgs66_Obv_Combo.jpg

PCGS66. A no-brainer, PL surfaces and nice color, green bean.

1516170_Full_Obv_Combo.jpg

NGC 65. I'm concerned about this one. It's original and tab toned but may be too dark for CAC's taste. I still expect a green bean.

43_Walker_Medium.jpg

PCGS MS65. Bought it in 08 and sold it. Repurchased it because it is a nice example. The buyer said it failed at CAC, but wasn't sure why. I'm confused too. Lustre and strike are nice for the grade. Will call JA if it fails. Warrants a green bean.

44-D_Merc_Combined_Seller.jpg

Another No-brainer, green bean.

Of all the coin's I've submitted to CAC, only one has failed, and I expected it to, but gave it a shot. :)

Will update this thread, if I can, when I get the results. CAC has a super turnaround time and I hope to get results by Wednesday next week.

And no, I'm not looking to sell. For the price, and the good CAC does for this "hobby," I feel that another set of eyes on a coin doesn't hurt.

:)

Results in last post.

Thanks Walkerfan!

I think the Rhode island won't get a bean....

Of course I might be wrong is my assessment mkman123. Why do you feel it won't get the bean?

Thanks Walkerfan!

I think the Rhode island won't get a bean....

Of course I might be wrong is my assessment mkman123. Why do you feel it won't get the bean?

Dark streaky or dark splotchy toning precludes the green beans for me.

The Columbian will easily get a green bean (doubtful on gold). The others are borderline (dark, streaky, splotchy or spotty toning often does not get a CAC, even if it may be eye appealing).

To those who have commented so far, my thanks!

(thumbs u

If they don't CAC, are they then DRECK? hm

(thumbs u

Not at all. They can still be accurately graded, eye appealing, fantastic coins. They just didn't meet the arbitrary and non-published standards of a single influential and highly respected person. Just because he didn't bless the coin doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it.

(thumbs u

Not at all. They can still be accurately graded, eye appealing, fantastic coins. They just didn't meet the arbitrary and non-published standards of a single influential and highly respected person. Just because he didn't bless the coin doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it.

Amen to that

Once a coin fails at CAC they almost never will certify it if you send it back in the same holder. They keep a record of all submissions by holder cert number. I am sure John will look at the coin again but if it failed the first time it is rare that it will certify upon re submission.

It is possible that there may have been some exceptions. Anyone else here care to chime in ??

As for that Walker – I like it a lot , the rest of the coins – very nice.

Jason – I think the Mercury has an attractive tone and should get a green bean .

(thumbs u

I don't think that is a fair reading of what was posted. I agree with Jason 100% on this. There are some coins that I like very much notwithstanding the fact that CAC declined to sticker them.

Jason – I think the Mercury has an attractive tone and should get a green bean .

I agree, and would not hesitate to add this coin to my collection. However, especially after hearing how CAC turns down dark toning, that band on the back may turn some people off. The obverse is gorgeous though.

Once a coin fails at CAC they almost never will certify it if you send it back in the same holder. They keep a record of all submissions by holder cert number. I am sure John will look at the coin again but if it failed the first time it is rare that it will certify upon re submission.

It is possible that there may have been some exceptions. Anyone else here care to chime in ??

I have heard of a few instances in which CAC (knowingly) stickered a coin which had previously been rejected. But, my guess is that is a very rare occurrence.

I have a coin that CAC rejected the first time through and I brought the coin back to CAC a year later with another submission. I told JA directly that the coin had been rejected a year earlier and he told me he would look at it with fresh eyes. As I expected, it did receive a green bean the second time around.

Some might cry that this proves CAC inconsistency, but I tend to think that it also proves that those who review coins for CAC are willing to keep an open mind about it and are willing to admit mistakes.

(thumbs u

Here are three coins of mine that did not pass CAC. John explained to me why. I still love the coins and plan to keep them unless I am able to upgrade in some circumstances. But coins with CAC stickers obviously do get a premium. Once you have submitted enough coins and have spoken to John about them, you get a feel of what will and will not pass.

This did not pass because John felt it was a VF35, but was bumped due to amazing surfaces. Because of how choice the surfaces are, he said it would trade for XF money.

2eztt9k.jpg

OBVERSE AT. But still uber gorgeous

2i7rc5v.jpg

Due to light porosity

vg0f1d.jpg

Ankur

It seems a bit odd that an S-1 cent with that much detail would be rejected as not meeting G-6 due to "porosity". Who cares? Most of them are far from perfect in that regard, and it appears to me that PCGS already took it down from VG to G-6.

Does it have a decent date? If the date were too weak, that might be a better reason to reject it.

It looks terrific, interpreting those images.

James, the S1 Chain cent has no date. Im sure that made a difference.

I recently viewed the S3 PCGS VG10 CAC that is in the next Heritage sale. The date was full, but the relief was much more flat compared to this S1.

I really like your toned coins. Wonder why the Walking Liberty did not sticker? PVC? Mercury dime has pretty color. The Columbian half looks very clean for a 63. The Rhode Island also looks very clean. Toning looks nice but would have to hold coin in hand. I like the Delaware but sometimes the that kind of toning can mute the luster. Good luck with your submission.

The Rhode Island will not CAC, as it is graded PL. Want me to give you odds? I will.

Mozin the coin is in a PCGS 66 holder so not graded PL. Has PL surfaces though.

James, the S1 Chain cent has no date. Im sure that made a difference.

Then the argument definitely makes more sense! For me, I think your S1 is outstanding at the "good" level, even dateless.

Got a call from CAC. My address had changed since my last submission and they asked me to send them a new Return Authorization. For those of you who submit coins to CAC please keep this in mind. :)

Mary Ann said this would not hold up my submission but I quickly sent her an updated Return Authorization. ;)

the Rhode Island has dark toning which is why i thought CAC may not bean it. Other than that enjoy your coins, before CAC before loved their coins.....who cares if CAC doesn't bean it