• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Sleuth posted by DrDarryl

3 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

A story of finding a coin's pedigree by accident...

After purchasing a highly prized "Mid-Pacific Aloha Carnival Dollar" that depicts the great Hawaiian Olympian "Duke Kahanamoku" (So called dollar HK-721/Medcalf & Russell 2M-329) for my "Territory of Hawaii Souvenir" collection, I did an online search for similar coin in circulated condition.

After viewing an icollector.com hit, I started to compare coins. I noticed an erie resemblance as I looked at each unique feature between the two.

Obverse: A darken "A" in Pacific. Bumps along rim from "D" to "P" of Mid-Pacific.

Reverse: Nick below "II" of Hawaiian". Nick in the center of the "I" in Islands.

Patina matches in both observe and reverse. My photo is slightly darker as it was taken with my Android phone in my home office.

To my surprise every visual feature was an exact match!

In conclusion, my "Dukie" is lot #41 from Heritage 2007 Long Beach California auction.

Right image taken by me. Left image taken online.

10947.jpg

See more journals by DrDarryl

That is a nice coin. When in Honolulu I always stop by Dukes Bar at the Sheraton Waikiki and have a drink. They have a lot of photos of him on the walls in his younger days and photos of him as he aged. He was a great Olympic Champion and I am glad he is on a coin. I wish I had one.

Duke Kahanamoku easily qualified for the U.S. Olympic swimming team in 1912, breaking the record for the 200 meter freestyle in his trial heat for the 4×200 relay. He went on to win a gold medal in the 100 meter freestyle in the 1912 Olympics in Stockholm, and a silver with the relay team. During the 1920 Olympics in Antwerp, he won gold medals both in the 100 meters (bettering fellow Hawaiian Pua Kealoha) and in the relay. He finished the 100 meters with a silver medal during the 1924 Olympics in Paris, with the gold going to Johnny Weissmuller and the bronze to Duke's brother, Samuel Kahanamoku. He also played for the U.S. water polo team at the 1932 Summer Olympics.